British Speedway Forum

Just now, Wee Eck said:

Apologies for mixing up the two but, as I said, Nick did provide a non-negative test in a form that concerned the tester who then decided to retest Nick. It was the retest that Nick declined. 

Morris didn't provide a sample for testing.   He was charged with   ‘Failing to provide a Specimen’.

The rules then say:-  * 08.2.1 Testing Procedure
i) A refusal to undergo Anti-Doping testing will be regarded for the purpose of application of penalties, identical to a positive test.

So his refusal to provide a specimen was treated the same as a positive test and he got the minimum 2 year ban.

38 minutes ago, HenryW said:

But the article quoted says that 2 years is the MINIMUM. If it can be less due to excuses then it's not a minimum, surely?

Or is this 2 year minimum new since Barker was caught?

I‘m not 100% sure of the specifics in the SCB’s case, but other sports have different sentences for different offences. I’m guessing it’s a two-year minimum for failing to provide a test. Whereas it’s more like six months for pain relief, etc. 

The SCB’s wording is arguably the problem as they should have probably clarified that. 

ifs buts and maybe's.....the long and short of it is, if you do not provide a specimen when asked to, whether its your first or hundredth then it should be treated as a failure...it isn't rocket science folks.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, PotteringAround said:

Morris didn't provide a sample for testing.   He was charged with   ‘Failing to provide a Specimen’.

The rules then say:-  * 08.2.1 Testing Procedure
i) A refusal to undergo Anti-Doping testing will be regarded for the purpose of application of penalties, identical to a positive test.

So his refusal to provide a specimen was treated the same as a positive test and he got the minimum 2 year ban.

I think you’ll find that he did provide a first sample. I think you might also want to wonder why there were two charges against, albeit one being dropped after he pled guilty to the first. 

But, as someone else has said, it’s all academic - Nick has been banned and fined and nothing will change that

18 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

I think you’ll find that he did provide a first sample. I think you might also want to wonder why there were two charges against, albeit one being dropped after he pled guilty to the first. 

But, as someone else has said, it’s all academic - Nick has been banned and fined and nothing will change that

Where do you have this evidence of him providing a first sample? I’ve been doing some digging around and can see no reference to anything being provided at all. Not saying it didn’t happen, but there’s been no mention of it in any official statement and it’s not the normal protocol for drug testing. That said, nothing would surprise me when it comes to the SCB. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, highside said:

How long can you use a guest for a banned rider ?it's a joke 

But it’s a good question! I’d have thought it should be 28 days but from when? Offence or conviction? And didn’t Poole use guests for Darcy Ward for the rest of the season after he was banned in 2014?

14 hours ago, Bojangles said:

Where do you have this evidence of him providing a first sample? I’ve been doing some digging around and can see no reference to anything being provided at all. 

He didn't provide a sample.   That's why he's banned.   Failure to provide a specimen, which is treated the same as a positive test.

Some people mistakenly think you do two samples because there's an "A" and "B" sample.   But this is a single sample which is just split into 2 different vials.

The only way you get to re-do the test is if you don't give a sample of real pee.  When you give a sample they test the specific gravity to make sure it is actually pee and not appletise or a tiny drop of pee in a load of tap water.   If you do mess them about like this you get a second chance to give the sample.

It sounds like Morris may have attempted some kind of skullduggery since he was also charged with   "c) Any attempt to influence improperly an official in the course of their duties.".   But this was dropped when he was convicted of failing to give a specimen.

18 minutes ago, RoundTheBoards said:

He didn't provide a sample.   That's why he's banned.   Failure to provide a specimen, which is treated the same as a positive test.

Some people mistakenly think you do two samples because there's an "A" and "B" sample.   But this is a single sample which is just split into 2 different vials.

The only way you get to re-do the test is if you don't give a sample of real pee.  When you give a sample they test the specific gravity to make sure it is actually pee and not appletise or a tiny drop of pee in a load of tap water.   If you do mess them about like this you get a second chance to give the sample.

It sounds like Morris may have attempted some kind of skullduggery since he was also charged with   "c) Any attempt to influence improperly an official in the course of their duties.".   But this was dropped when he was convicted of failing to give a specimen.

I literally said all of that in my previous posts, but thanks for clarifying. That’s why I was asking where the evidence of Morris already taking a test is, as a lot of people seem to be misguided in thinking he did. 

£1500 fine and 6 months to pay it. May need to get a real job, interesting job interview " experience?" " I used to be a speedway rider"       "and why did you stop doing that?"

• Sad 1

On 8/19/2023 at 6:10 AM, highside said:

How long can you use a guest for a banned rider ?it's a joke 

as its not the clubs fault i'd say the 28 day rule should apply 

and i guess that's up now.

club again shouldn't benefit from this either.  

On 7/13/2023 at 5:07 PM, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

After last night's "outcome" and last year with Ben Barker, we only ever hear about tests when a rider "fails" Apart from these 2 random tests  I as wondering how many other drug tests are carried out each year? 

Could be random 2 riders every meeting?

Or maybe track gets visited once a month? 

Or maybe just once  a year? 

Like I said we have heard now of 2 tests and 2 failures, maybe they not random after all? 

And another random test catches 2 with a non negative result..... :blink:

On 8/21/2023 at 1:54 PM, yoda said:

as its not the clubs fault i'd say the 28 day rule should apply 

and i guess that's up now.

club again shouldn't benefit from this either.  

Lions didn’t use a guest for Morris at any point following the offence taking place. 
That said, it’s difficult to see how in similar circumstances, using a facility can be regarded as beneficial to a club. 

4 minutes ago, 1 valve said:

Lions didn’t use a guest for Morris at any point following the offence taking place. 
That said, it’s difficult to see how in similar circumstances, using a facility can be regarded as beneficial to a club. 

Look at Brum.

Nick Morris GSA 8.82

Actual average in 2023 league fixtures 6.84

Average of guests used since drug suspension : 8.86

Looks like a huge bonus(at least in terms of scoring capacity) for Birmingham to me.