British Speedway Forum
Bojangles

Oxford vs Glasgow - Champ - 19/7

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

Watched this on BSN. Why is speedway always more entertaining on BSN than it is on Eurosport? I enjoyed the coverage despite the delays. On Eurosport I've often lost the will to live after about 5 heats.

Oxford also looked nice on the telly. The pits on the back straight works well in that context. Nice to see Oxford have a scoreboard up on the back straight too. It's a major bugbear of mine that so many stadiums don't have that. I might even be tempted to pay Cowley a visit this year now.

One moment Lee Complin is the brightest prospect in British speedway - the next, he's a veteran struggling at reserve. Where did my life go?

Belle Vue and Peterborough apart, its a poor watch IMO with passing pretty rare. As you say it often becomes tedious mid meeting.

• Like 1

Watched this on BSN. Why is speedway always more entertaining on BSN than it is on Eurosport? I enjoyed the coverage despite the delays. On Eurosport I've often lost the will to live after about 5 heats.

Oxford also looked nice on the telly. The pits on the back straight works well in that context. Nice to see Oxford have a scoreboard up on the back straight too. It's a major bugbear of mine that so many stadiums don't have that. I might even be tempted to pay Cowley a visit this year now.

One moment Lee Complin is the brightest prospect in British speedway - the next, he's a veteran struggling at reserve. Where did my life go?

Go on give yourself a treat, first night of the scoreboard by the way

• Like 1

The thing that has really made my visits to Oxford a pure pleasure is the atmosphere - packed crowd, huge waves of emotion as the drama unfolds. Like you I'm a fan of local rivals through and through (Racers rather than Robins) but it is impossible not to get wrapped up in the excitement. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

While Heeps did well at reserve, don't forget he's in that position because Akins has gone from a 2.0 to a 5.5 rider this season, who would have anticipated that?

I have to agree with you Henry Atkins has been revelation for Oxford this year home and away 

• Like 1

Good to see the Ox doing well still unbeaten, and decent crowds still in their second season back, one of the few shining lights in British league speedway. Masters signing was a masterstroke, best rider in league with Scotty. Was at this fixture last year, a 5-1 heat advantage in last heat gave Ox victory, won by guest Bomber, some great racing and fantastic atmosphere. Quite a few Swindon fans travel up the a420 for their speedway fix, great to see speedway still running successfully in the Thames Valley, after their 15 year wait. Good set-up at Sandy Lane, hope to visit again soon. Good luck for rest of season.

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, arnieg said:

The thing that has really made my visits to Oxford a pure pleasure is the atmosphere - packed crowd, huge waves of emotion as the drama unfolds. Like you I'm a fan of local rivals through and through (Racers rather than Robins) but it is impossible not to get wrapped up in the excitement. 

Loved the old Swindon-Reading-Oxford rivalry.:)The top league ain't the same without those three and Poole and Coventry.

Edited by auntie doris

16 minutes ago, arnieg said:

I'm having something of a love-hate relationship with the sport at the moment. Sometimes I sit and try to watch Eurosport on a Monday and think that speedway if just plain boring and Swindon got out at the right time. It's almost as though I watch it just to reassure myself that I'm not missing anything.

I went to Poole v Oxford at the start of the year and enjoyed that one, and last night's meeting makes me think that maybe it worth a visit still as I was almost becoming a follower of Grand Prix only.

It does seem that, for the first time, the lower tier is a better sport than the top flight.

Well done Oxf... well done Ox.. A good presentation Ox... Nope. I can't say it.

I stand by my comment its 100pct correct the team at glasgow was a huge mistake I said to several people that team is not strong enough you need to have some speedway savvy knowing riders ceiling ie upping their average knowledge of tracks away & top end heat leaders versus top end similar away .. claus is good at home not as good away same for marcin so that's a fail there top 3 are ok but tom is weak at times & it shows still very young & learning the reserve berths were a total cock up nobody can tell me otherwise ...an aging guy too bulky on bike eratic & no speed lacking power bigbtime out game for a decade  utter madness & ace no idea of away tracks & way too inexperienced a 16yr old novice next year maybe yes ...if tigers put out a team to win the league they have a funny way of showing it ...I could build a better team & so could a lot of our fans before anybody jumps on me ...a bit of common sense is needed at ashfield its severely lacking ....or put it another way look at how other clubs build teams especially Neil middleditch at Poole look & learn or we will never win anything .....

Ive enjoyed my 2 trips there, 2  big crowds, good atmosphere , the racing circuit is 10 times better than of old when it was bumpy rutted and evil.

Credit to the trackstaff last night sorting a horror of a task, the 40 mins didnt do the shale much dood but it was still pretty smooth and produced a wonder moment in ht15.

I cant see any reason why oxford cant go very close to winning the league 23, bar you know who

A winning side generates good crowds, I remember at Swindon in 2017, near bottom with miserable looking crowds of around 1000, until they signed Musielak. Then went on 17 match winning run and won the league with happy, smiley crowds of over 3000, totally different atmosphere at the Abbey. The Ox are in the enviable position that millions live within 50 miles, including half of London! Meet quite a few peeps from Oxfordshire in my job, a few used to go in the old days of Nielsen and Pander etc when they were top team in country. Remains to be seen if they move back into top league to replace teams that are dropping out?

10 hours ago, Cabbageman said:

I'll keep this short glasgow need to make a change at reserve now complin is the one to go glasgow made it clear ace was a project so they're gonna keep him I personally think it was too soon & aces time was next Yr but there u go ...they need to get the strongest rider possible whoever that may be I thought tate zitchke but I've no idea if he would come or fit in team average etc....but lee complins time is up ndl is his level sadly he's a cracking guy I know all this ...but if tigers want to stand any tiny chance of a trophy it needs to be done soon

Glasgow had Cook at 1 and Hume at reserve last year, their two best riders on the night. Wasnt too impressed with Basso and Brennan. Most of the top teams have strong number 1 and at least one strong reserve. Oxford lost Batchelor, Summers and Ruml, but have made some great adjustments with Jenkins, Atkins, Kerr, Masters coming in.

My first time at Oxford since they came back and I picked a cracking meeting. Its also the best stadium I have been to in terms of atmosphere this season. Although I didn't notice it at the time I have watched the meeting on BSN this morning and was surprised by how much the airfence moved  in the big crash. Had bikes followed riders into it their would have been major issues. Did anyone else notice this at the time? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SJA said:

My first time at Oxford since they came back and I picked a cracking meeting. Its also the best stadium I have been to in terms of atmosphere this season. Although I didn't notice it at the time I have watched the meeting on BSN this morning and was surprised by how much the airfence moved  in the big crash. Had bikes followed riders into it their would have been major issues. Did anyone else notice this at the time? 

A lot of that will be due to the angle of Schlein's crash. I just re-watched it, and he hit the fence at an angle of about 25 degrees. Combined with the force of the accident, which must have been about -1.5g (if impact was around 30mph), the fence was always going to gravitate towards the scene of the impact. Only way around that is to have smaller air fence sections, so that they separate in smaller pieces when hit (not sure how that would impact inflation, though). 

Just now, BackInTheDHSS said:

A lot of that will be due to the angle of Schlein's crash. I just re-watched it, and he hit the fence at an angle of about 25 degrees. Combined with the force of the accident, which must have been about -1.5g (if impact was around 30mph), the fence was always going to gravitate towards the scene of the impact. Only way around that is to have smaller air fence sections, so that they separate in smaller pieces when hit (not sure how that would impact inflation, though). 

Or you could secure the airfences to the fence behind them as they do at other tracks.

1 hour ago, Cabbageman said:

I stand by my comment its 100pct correct the team at glasgow was a huge mistake I said to several people that team is not strong enough you need to have some speedway savvy knowing riders ceiling ie upping their average knowledge of tracks away & top end heat leaders versus top end similar away .. claus is good at home not as good away same for marcin so that's a fail there top 3 are ok but tom is weak at times & it shows still very young & learning the reserve berths were a total cock up nobody can tell me otherwise ...an aging guy too bulky on bike eratic & no speed lacking power bigbtime out game for a decade  utter madness & ace no idea of away tracks & way too inexperienced a 16yr old novice next year maybe yes ...if tigers put out a team to win the league they have a funny way of showing it ...I could build a better team & so could a lot of our fans before anybody jumps on me ...a bit of common sense is needed at ashfield its severely lacking ....or put it another way look at how other clubs build teams especially Neil middleditch at Poole look & learn or we will never win anything .....

O….M….G     We heard you the first time…..umpteen posts ago. You seem to think you are going to make things change by keeping saying the same thing OVER and OVER and OVER again. If your obsession is to win everything that’s going, it’s maybe time to support another team. The team Glasgow put together was impressive in most peoples eyes and was relying on a few riders improving on their starting average. Unfortunately, Lee has not reached the level expected but where do we go from here?  Please tell us exactly what you would do right now…….who would you drop and who would you sign to resolve the situation.

• Like 3