British Speedway Forum
lisa-colette

Edinburgh Vs Poole 4th August

6 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Just went to find out if the guy is ok and recovering and found a load of twaddle about unions and Thatcher!

So thought I would go to a more reliable source, the local paper, who I wrongly assumed would be running it as a headline. Nowt, nothing, ziltch. Which is surprising considering an air ambulance and an abandoned sports event would normally make the news in any region of the U.K.

Cumbria crack an online news service in Cumbria had a report of the unfortunate incident, with Craig cook being an Cumbrian 

I really hope we hear positive news of this cameraman that's been injured.

For anyone there did this happen in the 2m zone from track fence to spectator fence ? Someone mentioned earlier about H&S getting involved but speedway already has a rule of a 2m zone from track fence to spectators and I'm not sure anyone is exempt from entering this area even though you do see people mainly photographers in this zone.

Fingers crossed for good positive news 

I do hope all involved are ok, both  physically and mentally.

This does sound like it will be classed as a RIDDOR so will need to be reported to the HSE.

Edited by M.D

4 hours ago, SilentLurker said:

Please do not try pretend that that overwhelming vast majority of people are not interested in this. The same applies when a crash occurs on the opposite side of the motorway and everybody starts rubbernecking to see the accident bringing the traffic to a near stand still as people simply cannot help themselves

If I posted a YouTube link to the incident right now I can guarantee 99 percent of this forum would be clicking it. No different than all the speedway crash videos having the most views online or the papers suddenly becoming interested in the sport when something like this happens. There is a difference though between being interested in seeing an incident for yourself and some of the absolute drivel that is posted on here which can be insensitive.

Best wishes to the camera operator and look forward to hearing about a full recovery.

“The Drivel on here can be insensitive” if you are a family member or friend do you not think posting a video of the incident is extremely insensitive especially when injuries and there severity are not know publicly.

As for rubber necking something I do not do as more often or not when people do this it creates more incidents sometimes worse than the ones being looked at, also police are cracking down on this now.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Debbi said:

“The Drivel on here can be insensitive” if you are a family member or friend do you not think posting a video of the incident is extremely insensitive especially when injuries and there severity are not know publicly.

As for rubber necking something I do not do as more often or not when people do this it creates more incidents sometimes worse than the ones being looked at, also police are cracking down on this now.

Yes I do think it would be insensitive, but it is what people do whether you think that is right or wrong was not my point.

As for rubbernecking, well done for not doing it but as you mentioned the police are cracking down on it and I would imagine that is because the overwhelming majority do, do it.

yet more virtue signalling in the absence of new news.  let’s hope the photographer had not strayed into an unauthorised area.  surely it’s safer to be on the centre green where you have an unobstructed view of the racing

6 hours ago, scaramanga said:

i see it different 

im a big road racing fan 

dont like seeing people hurt but i like to see for myself what actually happened 

too many bits get added or left out when you hear it 2nd hand 

its not always wanting to see gory details just a clear understanding 

Absolutely spot on!! 

• Like 1

On the Berwick stream tonight they said that "Only a Scotsman could get smacked in the head by a speedway bike and then be sat up in bed eating toast the following morning"

So hopefully that is true and the poor photographer is making a speedy recovery.

1 minute ago, Mr Blobby said:

Everyone will be pleased to hear Peter (the photographer) has posted an update to let everyone know his condition thank god it’s not as bad as first feared. 

Hello all. Thought I'd provide a quick update. 
First of all a massive THANK YOU to everyone who took the Time to message and call. I truly felt the love of the Speedway Family and am blessed to be part of it.
I have just come out surgery to close two wounds on my head. All went well. I do have small breaks to my C2 and C3 vertebra and will be in a neck bracelet for about 12 weeks but again everything will be fine.

Great to hear 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SilentLurker said:

As for rubbernecking, well done for not doing it but as you mentioned the police are cracking down on it and I would imagine that is because the overwhelming majority do, do it.

Shouldn't the police be dealing with the actual incident, rather than looking to see who is looking?

26 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

Everyone will be pleased to hear Peter (the photographer) has posted an update to let everyone know his condition thank god it’s not as bad as first feared. 

Hello all. Thought I'd provide a quick update. 
First of all a massive THANK YOU to everyone who took the Time to message and call. I truly felt the love of the Speedway Family and am blessed to be part of it.
I have just come out surgery to close two wounds on my head. All went well. I do have small breaks to my C2 and C3 vertebra and will be in a neck bracelet for about 12 weeks but again everything will be fine.

That's great news. Well done to all the Emergency Services

• Like 1