British Speedway Forum
Cast1rn

Plymouth Vs Berwick 8/8/23 live BSN

Pathetic scenario. Plymouth should be operating in the third tier, their not a second tier club. If that is true about starting track prep an hour before the start, they should hang their heads in shame.

Refunds should be immediately given out on exiting the stadium. Farce of a sport these days sadly, with clubs like this playing a big part in that.

• Like 2

Last night Plymouth website said meeting postponed further comment to follow.  This morning still saying the same - how long does it take for an explanation?   Could we be watching another Eastbourne type scenario unfolding? I hope not.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pinny said:

Pathetic scenario. Plymouth should be operating in the third tier, their not a second tier club. If that is true about starting track prep an hour before the start, they should hang their heads in shame.

Refunds should be immediately given out on exiting the stadium. Farce of a sport these days sadly, with clubs like this playing a big part in that.

This practise of re-admission tickets only has been going on for years to be fair. I can remember going to Belle Vue once when JP was promoting, it was  a fine evening & no issues were expected .However the riders were unhappy with an issue on 1st & 2nd turn which was described as being "like glass". After some work with the grader it was decided that Hans Nielsen would try a couple of laps. He did & gave it the thumbs down so the meeting was cancelled. Many bees fans decided to ask for their entrance fee to be returned, which was initially declined,but as a rather large contingent of fans congregated in the entrance areas & refused to leave the stadium before someone from the club eventually appeared with several money bags & duly refunded all the supporters .

On the other hand I once experienced  a situation at Swindon where a meeting was called off & we were all advised to keep our rain off tickets .  I did this & decided to use it when I returned for the " new date ".So i turned up at the turnstiles only to be told that I needed to go to the big gates at the far end of the car park. When I gave the guy my rain off ticket he refused me entry stating that " I had missed the time frame for the re admission" , I explained I was a visiting fan & that i didn't get to Swindon regularly.He still refused, & then I had to argue my point with him for a few minutes before he decided to let me in. So as you can see this refund/re admission situation has been a mess for many years.:)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

This practise of re-admission tickets only has been going on for years to be fair. I can remember going to Belle Vue once when JP was promoting, it was  a fine evening & no issues were expected .However the riders were unhappy with an issue on 1st & 2nd turn which was described as being "like glass". After some work with the grader it was decided that Hans Nielsen would try a couple of laps. He did & gave it the thumbs down so the meeting was cancelled. Many bees fans decided to ask for their entrance fee to be returned, which was initially declined,but as a rather large contingent of fans congregated in the entrance areas & refused to leave the stadium before someone from the club eventually appeared with several money bags & duly refunded all the supporters .

On the other hand I once experienced  a situation at Swindon where a meeting was called off & we were all advised to keep our rain off tickets .  I did this & decided to use it when I returned for the " new date ".So i turned up at the turnstiles only to be told that I needed to go to the big gates at the far end of the car park. When I gave the guy my rain off ticket he refused me entry stating that " I had missed the time frame for the re admission" , I explained I was a visiting fan & that i didn't get to Swindon regularly.He still refused, & then I had to argue my point with him for a few minutes before he decided to let me in. So as you can see this refund/re admission situation has been a mess for many years.:)

As a travelling fan I have occasionally asked for a refund. I have always got it, but it never ceases to amaze me how grudging, obstructive (and often rude), people have been.

What exactly do they achieve other than increasing ill-will and discouraging visiting fans from returning?

The only exception was Peter Toogood who was polite, cheerful and sympathetic when organising a refund on the spot.

• Like 3

Never had a problem getting a refund at Poole. Whether that is sending the admission ticket to them and then them sending out the refund. Or one time they said if you queued at the turnstiles they would give you a refund - although that was very time consuming if you imagine 1500-2000 fans doing that all at the same time! 

Both Richie Worrall and Leon Flint have given their views/explanations on the facebook page.

Richie went into some detail about how things were on his practice laps - barely rideable and NOT raceable - plus he gave an idea of what his own costs were for the postponement.

Leon said similar and also that the majority decision not to race was made by riders of both teams. (Ben Barker also explained on BSN about the track surface being very 'sandy' down to the base which makes it very soft when any rain). Riders weren't happy for Barker to do the practice laps as they thought he would simply support his uncle, Mark Phillips to get it on!

The hope was that after morning rain the track would dry out naturally till late afternoon before trying to pack it down then.

For me, what was far worse for the fans in attendance and those watching BSN, was that it was all played out in full view of everyone who had been admitted and those viewing the stream, some 30-45 minutes AFTER the scheduled start time!!

Always remember the IOW track, they would flood it, a few bricks showing through the surface as well, the opposition couldn't wait to get back on the ferry, the home riders could wait to race there 

2 hours ago, marko said:

If that’s the best effort they can make no wonder they haven’t raced for two months.

Once again they will be holding up the entire league because they have failed to get meetings on when maybe a little thought and effort could have saved them.

Same last year as well.

• Like 1

So where are the BSPL track advisors, or assessors, whatever you call them. Surely if this is a regular occurrence they should be involved. 

17 minutes ago, Biffa said:

So where are the BSPL track advisors, or assessors, whatever you call them. Surely if this is a regular occurrence they should be involved. 

Speedway is  just “Boys Club” now.

is it time referees had to have a course on track work so they would have a better understanding?

Edited by stevehone
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, stevehone said:

is it time referees had to a course on track work so they would have a better understanding?

You'd think that they'd have an action plan to work to if things don't start at the scheduled start time

37 minutes ago, stevehone said:

is it time referees had to have a course on track work so they would have a better understanding?

Nowadays in GB if track work is required late before start time you can bet the meeting wont go ahead.Riders rule and the Ref has too take the Health and Safety option as a way out.I do feel sorry for the Refs in this situation they can’t win.In Poland in this situation the  Club are heavily fined and the Track Curators suspended.Not an option On a Amateur run show over here.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of last night one thing is clear. 

Back in the 2 valve and upright era that Track would not be considered unsafe. 

Those days had no air fences and rain offs were far less prevelant. 

They'd put sawdust down and get on with it. 

Those were men not petaldicks, and they'd ride the bike and gear it according to the conditions. If they had a 2 wheel in and slide out for a few races they would. 

I've seen Mauger, Briggo, Collins, Olsen all do it, pictures of riders looking like they have just come from down the pit with only eyes visible were commonplace. 

Too many of this era can't ride bikes that rev too high and lack throttle control. 

Maybe the real reason they didn't want Barker to ride it was he'd have leg trailed round the fence and broken the track record. 

Time to consider the reason and not the cause. 

• Like 6

This gaffs gonna go under very soon if they dont pull their fingers out, you can see it a mile away

• Like 2