British Speedway Forum
SharpenRake

Glasgow V Oxford Championship - Friday 8 September 2023 - 7.30pm

3 hours ago, Cast1rn said:

What have the failed (none negative )drugs/alcoholic tests got to do with how the sports performing.

I work in an industry where we are tested, is it the companies fault if idiots break the rules and get caught? 

Withholding services? Happens in every sport, want a transfer but the managers not letting you go ? 

The difference being they have squad systems that can replace defective or ineffective players.

I 100% agree that the sports organisation and rules are a joke and something my 5 year old could write. 

What ruffles my feathers is having people continuously drone on about how horrific the sport is and how it's going to be the end of speedway. Speedway will never ever die and if anyone thinks it is they need a quick shake up to how life works. As long as people like seeing bikes go round and round in circles and riders like riding bikes anti clockwise there will be some form of speedway. 

I admire your enthusiasm and I remain on a high from last night’s meeting, but please do not get carried away with small wins because it will accelerate your worst nightmare; kill the sport.

You’re correct; it isn’t a company’s fault if an employee fails a drug test; I also work in an industry where these tests are standard practice, but if I fail a drug test, I’m not letting down hundreds or thousands of fans who have parted with their hard-earned cash to see me work.

You’re also correct in using football as as an example of withholding services to engineer a transfer, but in football, those players are simply swapped for players of a similar calibre. The fans are still getting eleven players. Liverpool fans weren't subject to rider replacement for Raheem Sterling when he refused to play.

I may be well off, but in my short return to the sport of speedway, I’ve observed a serious lack of accountability which I believe is seriously harming the sport.

I mean, off the top of my head, that CLRC. Where do you start? The line-up, Craig Cook, Charles Wright being allowed in the final, etc. I was so disappointed in that meeting, I’ll never order it on BSN again or attend, no matter how much I get back into speedway.

It may not be a comfortable discussion, but sometimes, a spade must be called a spade. If it isn’t, we move on and forget about it, then history repeats itself and British speedway’s history, sadly, is becoming laced with club and track closures which none of us want.

Edited by TheWellBehavedWorrall

1 hour ago, sandking072 said:

Would anyone have the rave timws for this meeting please? Thanks in advance 

H1: 57.6

H2: 58.8

H3: 57.6

H4: 56.8

H5: 58.1

H6: 58.2

H7: Awarded

H8: 57.8

H9: 58.6

H10: 59.0

H11: 58.3

H12: 59.1

H13: 58.8

H14: 58.5

H15: 58.8

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Weeyin said:

What a meeting, we have seen some extraordinary racing at Ashfield this season, but tonight tops the lot. It takes 2 teams to provide the excitement, so well done Oxford for making a match of it, Tarasenko, just wow , could watch him all day, shame the season is almost over.

I remember when one of your own Rasser  came to Swindon in 2019 and did similar to transform their season 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

It's not the 4 guys turning left 9n fast bikes with no breaks that's the issue. 

The issue is the way the sport is run and administered by the BSPA and SCB. 

Until there is a totally independent ruling body we are never going to move forward and the sport will continue to be diluted. 

As someone who has been watching since the glory days of the 60s when we had 20 teams in the top division, each with at least two international class heat leaders averaging 9 I truly wonder how we got to the stage where we barely have 20 teams in the top two divisions with riders doubling up and until the business end of the season top British riders decline to ride here. 

And you claim the sport is healthy? 

I claim nothing, but I watch speedway and enjoy it for what it is as do most people I know we all know there are things that could be better  but life’s to short and who knows what is round the corner

last nights offering was top class and I have witnessed plenty like that this season so it’s not all doom and gloom as some would like it to be to suit their agenda

Watched on BSN and I have to say that this meeting showed the sport at it's very finest. The track at Glasgow is so exciting and if the riders are prepared to embrace the banking, it produces some of the best racing you can see. Congratulations to both teams and hopefully more of the same in the play-offs.

Speedway lives!

13 hours ago, Wee Eck said:

Actually, I think having the likes of Tarasenko in this country is the complete opposite of the sport being “on its arse”

His arrival in the Championship has opened up the race for the play offs. And I doubt he’s more expensive than, say, Schlein so not much cash needed splashed. 

Whilst it is a great signing for the championship there is the down side of what he is actuality being paid , and yes it’s a phenomenal sum for a ‘five pointer’ and the most any championship rider is currently being paid. It may only be for half a dozen matches but you can imagine what riders wage demands will be for next season.

Trying to buy a trophy ? But then, if you’ve got it, flaunt it !

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Whilst it is a great signing for the championship there is the down side of what he is actuality being paid

How much is he getting paid?

2 hours ago, TheWellBehavedWorrall said:

Are speedway attendances revealed?

Some of the crowds are that poor it doesn't take long to count them !!

Any estimated attendance for last night?  I watched on BSN but it was difficult to assess!

2 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Any estimated attendance for last night?  I watched on BSN but it was difficult to assess!

I heard them read out your comment of 'where is the crowd?' :o;)

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Whilst it is a great signing for the championship there is the down side of what he is actuality being paid , and yes it’s a phenomenal sum for a ‘five pointer’ and the most any championship rider is currently being paid. It may only be for half a dozen matches but you can imagine what riders wage demands will be for next season.

How can you buy a trophy when there a points limit cap in speedway...I wud love to know tell us all oooooft , utter rubbish are glasgow winning title every yr with their money no pay attention ...so Poole are buying the title then no theyre not ..in speedway its all about how u know the riders especially their ability to up their average & some to maintain a high average Poole are masters at it I'm a tigers man but I tip my hat to them as every yr they do it very well its an art form & middlo knows his stuff its not just about how much money u have ...

2 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Careful you’ll have them after you now.

Honestly cracks me up on here. Best meeting you're ever likely to see and got the usual suspects on here looking for negatives. 

Glasgow speedway must have some amount of accountants that everyone knows what our riders get. Gees peace. Bare in mind we never wanted to make the change and Vadim wasn't even first choice!!

Anyway, what a bloody meeting that was, first class from all 14 riders. Ben's tape touch probs cost us the bonus and good to see Lee back among the points. More of the same in play offs please 

Edited by Jaizer
  • Like 7

On 8/24/2023 at 7:58 PM, Gazc said:

How much has it cost us ?

Serious question.

5 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

How do you know how much he is being paid 

• Like 1