British Speedway Forum
Anzum

Glasgow Vs Oxford play offs 26/9/23

Very tense meeting but not a classic by any means as the track was prepped hyper slick to cope with some serious rainfall. No grip means next to no passing.

The Pijper gamble didn't pay off, too inexperienced on a tricky surface and possibly not 100% fit. Gate 1 was awful most of the night with riders spinning in the deep stuff, and really worked against us in the early heats.

Hopefully we can set up a track that suits us for the final as Poole will p1ss themselves to have it as slick as it was tonight.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Rewatching on bsn now I'm home. Deary me what was with the starts? Surely not how want them prepped? Only came into it once was riding more like normal. That move by Lee in heat 14 even better on the TV. Roll on Friday (hopefully)

As said, racing not the best due to the track and a start line 6 inches deep.... But sheer excitement for the glasgow fans. Hats off to Lee Complain who somehow managed to go above and beyond and absolutely refused to lose.  We will never forget his efforts tonight and neither will he. Amazing night for the Tigers. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Rewatching on bsn now I'm home. Deary me what was with the starts? Surely not how want them prepped? Only came into it once was riding more like normal. That move by Lee in heat 14 even better on the TV. Roll on Friday (hopefully)

First dry day in Glasgow is Sunday. Friday is rain most of the day.

25 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

First dry day in Glasgow is Sunday. Friday is rain most of the day.

I've heard it will be Sunday. Which is great for me!

Great comeback from the Tigers! Well deserved place in the final and probably have a better chance of beating Poole all things being equal track condition wise. 

But... what on earth was Cami Brown doing leaving Ace Pijper in for a 4th ride! I know there's been question marks over his team management in the past but that was absolutely unforgivable team management! Pijper spent most of the night on his arse while Complin was riding out of his skin to drag his team over the line. 

'mon the Tiggers!

Edited by iainb
  • Like 7

Well done Glasgow, did not think 10 was ever enough for Oxford but they came out firing and looked good for them at certain points. Both teams using a tactical is strange but certainly gave Glasgow the boost they needed and Oxford faded. They had some luck with Ace falling and replaced by Colin but overall definitely deserved so now its up to the Pirates to sort them out and maybe meet some of the nice Glaswegians in The George.

Absolutely fantastic stuff from the tigers & congratulations to all commiserations to Oxford I'm giving special praise to Lee complin here who fought for everything I've been critical of our reserves but have acknowledged that Lee has got better as season has went on & kudos to him he is a great character but tonight he was the difference and fair play , the team fought to the end & that's what we asked for & got ...idid say before meeting this isn't for ace at all & sadly I was right he looks really uncomfortable & it's not a good watch I actually think he's a dangerous rider due to lack of control I've heard he had to ride due to meeting in Holland if it wasn't for that it was jack Smith all day long for me & now he's withdrawn if tigers have got Any sense declare the boy unfit & put in jack v Poole it might help the team...what was cami thinking pijper in ht 12 I've no idea the utter stupidity of that decision & serious questions need to be asked of cammi speedway knowledge he falls again & Lee comes in does the biz honestly its nuts ..the man needs to engage the brain or Mr max who should know needs to have a quiet word ...we got away with that one ace isn't up to it a blind man can see it ..I spoke to someone in pits after meeting close to riders & they said quietly yes he's rushed back too quickly they wud be better off with jack in team ...v Poole you won't get away with anything not a thing ...smarten up & wise up ..jack at reserve & no stupid decisions from tm give it your best if claus is still out so be it but don't rush him back either if he's unfit it won't work ..claus is ok at ashfield but v poor at Poole so that might be a leveller tho I noticed Oxford got more at rr tonight for jj than us for cv , if I'm crafty claus in at ashfield & out at Poole rr but that's not easy to do pull off ...anyway congratulations to everyone involved another final give it ur very best & I can only say stop the fear of Poole don't keep bigging them up now as tigers do that all the time forget that  let's just put that aside & show no respect just attack them at home from start to finish see what happens & best of luck lads 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Noelinho said:

I've heard it will be Sunday. Which is great for me!

Would make sense looking at the forecast. But I hope an official announcement is made in plenty of time.

C'mon the Pirates!

:t:

Edited by lbw

That was an emotional rollercoaster, but what a result.

I can’t imagine it would have been the most exciting meeting for the neutral, but sheer competitiveness of the first and second bends was outstanding. No inches given.

The pop when Harris and Tarasenko gated in heat thirteen was incredible. It’s at moments like that I wonder how UK speedway is struggling; it means so much to so many.

The biggest shout-out has to go to Lee Complin. I hold my hands up because I suggested he played to the galleries last week, but that in my opinion, he played the most crucial role last night. Following Basso and Brennan home for 5-1s in heats twelve and fourteen, the first of which was immediately after an Oxford full house was, wow. Luckily for the Facenn’s, Ashfield doesn’t have a roof.

Complin’s cut-back in heat fourteen and subsequent press on Lewis Kerr allowed Brennan through. Genuine top class speedway. Kerr will be disappointed; he was bullied.

I haven’t saw Poole ride this season, but I’m hoping for an incredible couple of meetings.

Gutted the season is coming to an end. I’ve caught the bug.

• Like 1

Not forgetting had the deadline not been extended this meeting would never have happened and it would be Oxford in the final, it’s right though that it should be sorted out on the track and not have a question mark about what if.

Just hope that Glasgow can get their leg of the final on now, use track covers etc to help, we don’t want this going on and on again and three weeks time and running into November like last season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marko said:

Not forgetting had the deadline not been extended this meeting would never have happened and it would be Oxford in the final, it’s right though that it should be sorted out on the track and not have a question mark about what if.

Just hope that Glasgow can get their leg of the final on now, use track covers etc to help, we don’t want this going on and on again and three weeks time and running into November like last season.

Deadline is nonsense its just a request are u insisting tigers are lucky about that ? If that happens to any team in gb close the door on speedway it's done its finished .. there is nothing zero zip nout the tigers can do about scottish weather which is notoriously wet behave for god sake .. only thing I will say is there needs to be a push for all teams to run more meetings during summer months yes 

What was the script with Ace Pijper in heat fourteen? That was an uncomfortable watch, seeing him in so much pain. I assume the paramedics were the last to reach him because they’re instructed not to enter the track until all bikes are stationary, but that wasn’t nice to see.

Also, why was Pijper in that heat? I’m conscious I’m not up-to-date on the rules, but I thought everyone had to have at least three rides - which he already had - so wouldn’t Complin coming in from the start have been the most astute tactical decision?

Having said that, I felt sorry for Pijper. He had a tough night. At 17, I was illegally drinking alcohol on the streets; he’s lining-up at the tapes with the likes of Chris Harris and Scott Nicholls. These challenging experiences will be the making of him; he’ll benefit significantly in years to come.

3 minutes ago, TheWellBehavedWorrall said:

What was the script with Ace Pijper in heat fourteen? That was an uncomfortable watch, seeing him in so much pain. I assume the paramedics were the last to reach him because they’re instructed not to enter the track until all bikes are stationary, but that wasn’t nice to see.

Also, why was Pijper in that heat? I’m conscious I’m not up-to-date on the rules, but I thought everyone had to have at least three rides - which he already had - so wouldn’t Complin coming in from the start have been the most astute tactical decision?

Having said that, I felt sorry for Pijper. He had a tough night. At 17, I was illegally drinking alcohol on the streets; he’s lining-up at the tapes with the likes of Chris Harris and Scott Nicholls. These challenging experiences will be the making of him; he’ll benefit significantly in years to come.

As far as I know, yes, 3 ride minimum, happy for someone more familiar with today's rulebook to contradict. 

On the face of it, see above, another very poor decision from Broon.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Joseq7 said:

As far as I know, yes, 3 ride minimum, happy for someone more familiar with today's rulebook to contradict. 

On the face of it, see above, another very poor decision from Broon.

It was Ht 12 ,Ace had already 3 rides so strange decision by Cami.

• Like 1