British Speedway Forum

9 hours ago, mikebv said:

Should try and get Peter Adams or Sam Ermolenko...

With Fast Freddie at No1..

300 to 500 Wolves fans each week, added to £100k TV money could be the game changer...

You are way off with £100k TV money. 

2 hours ago, SSL84 said:

You are way off with £100k TV money. 

That was what a promoter mentioned in the SS a couple of months ago..

If you have other numbers, possibly he was adding in the value of the "complete package" including "free" advertising on Eurosport maybe?

40 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Wish Brummies the best of luck.Hope their “Rent a Crowd from Wolves”pays off.

Attracting fans over from Wolves on a regular bases could be make or break for the future of Birmingham speedway as if the crowds Birmingham had at Championship level, they were no where near big enough to support Premiership speedway you would've thought. Either that or they attract enough sponsorship to cover any losses and big or even medium sponsorships are pretty thin on the ground.

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

That was what a promoter mentioned in the SS a couple of months ago..

If you have other numbers, possibly he was adding in the value of the "complete package" including "free" advertising on Eurosport maybe?

There must have been a sizeable financial carrot offered to Brummies by Phil Morris!  I know Brummies had little choice - either Prem on Mondays or don't run at all - and PM was mentioning all sorts of financial benefits when presenting his case at the 'Save Coventry' inquiry hearing recently!

• Like 1

The main problem is that people look at map and think it's a 30minute jolly from Wolverhampton to Birmingham. 

Facts are from North or West of Wolverhampton it's likely to be an hour crawling on blocked roads. From East Side or South not quite as bad but not a journey you'd look forwards to. 

Hard to see more than 100 regularly making the trip. Probably a few hundred may choose a few meetings or rely on bank holidays in May and August, possibly Easter. 

• Like 2

I'm roughly in-between Monmore and Perry Barr but the two journeys couldn't be more different and the viewing outside at Brum is terrible. Also despite the track being a good shape the racing never seems that good to me although premier league could make it decent. I'm still undecided what I'm doing next season but il no doubt go over a few times

7 minutes ago, bruno said:

I'm roughly in-between Monmore and Perry Barr but the two journeys couldn't be more different and the viewing outside at Brum is terrible. Also despite the track being a good shape the racing never seems that good to me although premier league could make it decent. I'm still undecided what I'm doing next season but il no doubt go over a few times

They also need a very competitive Team to attract and keep neutrals.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bruno said:

I have to agree with you about the track and racing except for the very occasional meeting it's pretty much gate and go, I think the shape seems ok but whilst I am no expert there seems not enough banking to help with overtaking, I recall one meeting late season where even Picko found it Near on impossible to come from the back, riders were just going to the middle of the bend and making a v straight out to the fence rather than riding around the bend but it was still follow the leader. Yeah the journey to Monmore is far easier than getting to Perry Barr on an average Monday evening, Laurence/Nigel really need to plan in most of the Bank holiday Mondays to avoid the usual rush hour snarl up.

This venture really is Sh*t or bust for the Brummies I hope for there sake that they can get the Team building right, whilst Becker, Worrall, Schlein are steady riders they don't really get supporters excited enough to want to face up to the M5/M6 bottlenecks week in week out, a big hitting No1 is needed to get the neutrals over to the Barr on a regular basis, there are still enough Coventry and Cradley fans to help swell the numbers besides the Wolves fans looking for a Speedway fix, but Brummie supporters need to get behind NT in this brave venture which due to circumstances beyond there control has given them no other choice, good luck I have a feeling your going to need it.

• Like 1

Even in earlier times travelling was a 'mare, so as a group of Wolves fans (many cars), we would pre-plan mass Proggy ordering & meet at Barton Arms. Those with a good journey, got more beer in! Then a burst up the '34 to the One Stop for parking.  

This makes me focus on lack of parking as an issue, especially if ever crowd increase occurred.  Similar to Leicester's sun delays and run a fine at Tesco parking. In both cases get caught once, don't go again!

As for the 'outside viewing', since the bouncy castle fences went in, it's become non existent! At least it reminds me of Crayford & London revamp @ Hackney!

Apologies for being so negative / realistic :(

9 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Wish Brummies the best of luck.Hope their “Rent a Crowd from Wolves”pays off.

CVS is hoping for a Wolves return in 2025, so I suspect that pinning hopes on "Rent a Crowd" is more a BSF solution of convenience, rather than any sort of long-term planning by the Brummies promotion.

It's be interesting to know for how many years the use of the stadium has been secured, and when the search for another venue in Birmingham will begin, per what Tolley said in his interview a few weeks ago.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bruno said:

Is it right you can't park on the one stop anymore 

Only for the normal time slot for shoppers which isn’t sufficient time for you to attend the speedway without getting a fine so effectively, no you can’t 

Just now, the hobbit said:

Only for the normal time slot for shoppers which isn’t sufficient time for you to attend the speedway without getting a fine so effectively, no you can’t 

Thanks for that, doesn't help getting fans there I'd imagine 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bruno said:

Is it right you can't park on the one stop anymore 

The official line will be that you can't, however I see nothing to stop you. There are parking restrictions which are enforced up to 8pm, which restrict parking to 4 hours up to that time. So basically, unless you park up BEFORE 4pm, your 4-hour tenure will take you into the unrestricted time. If you park there, I'm sure that KFC will appreciate your custom on the way out, as they will still be open when you are on your way home.  

• Like 1