British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Glasgow V Poole Championship Final 8/10/23 6pm

39 minutes ago, Arthur54 said:

Let's hope for some nice dry weather then 

Best check the Tide times

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, HGould said:

In terms of entertainment, the integrity of the sport and fair play I'd be far more worried about 6 days of sunny dry weather in Poole. 

A slick motorway dust bowl for gating tarts certainly isn't goint to help Bomber, Basso, Tereshenko, Brennan or Complin

They will just have to get their gating boots on then 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Noelinho said:

Rain is forecast, but not loads by Glasgow standards. The banking helps with drainage too. Of course the ground gets much colder at this time of year, which doesn't make it a lot harder. We'll see.

Cold?  Its currently 14 degrees just outside Stirling - thats still T shirt weather (all be it wet t-shirt lol)

7 hours ago, MartinBSN said:

I disagree. The track was too wet prior to put track covers down. The base needs to be bone dry for track covers to work otherwise they pull the moisture to the surface.

Of course you don’t cover a wet track, but it should have been covered at the earliest opportunity whilst it was still dry, even if that was four or five days advance if the forecast was that bad.

it might not have worked but at least it’s trying something, speedway loses out so many times because people refuse to try.

But of course the bottom line has to be we are in October, we should have had the titles sown up a good couple weeks ago, but again the sport has dragged it’s heals early on, and never learns from its mistakes in previous seasons, how on earth we managed to go from getting in 25 home meetings a season back in the 80s to where we are now is baffling.

it wasn’t like the weather back then was all sunshine and lolly Pops.

11 minutes ago, Lioness said:

Cold?  Its currently 14 degrees just outside Stirling - thats still T shirt weather (all be it wet t-shirt lol)

It's 27C where I am. I'm coming in an Eskimo outfit on Sunday.

8 minutes ago, marko said:

Of course you don’t cover a wet track, but it should have been covered at the earliest opportunity whilst it was still dry, even if that was four or five days advance if the forecast was that bad.

it might not have worked but at least it’s trying something, speedway loses out so many times because people refuse to try.

But of course the bottom line has to be we are in October, we should have had the titles sown up a good couple weeks ago, but again the sport has dragged it’s heals early on, and never learns from its mistakes in previous seasons, how on earth we managed to go from getting in 25 home meetings a season back in the 80s to where we are now is baffling.

it wasn’t like the weather back then was all sunshine and lolly Pops.

Think you will find the riders don’t exactly like tracks that have been covered.

The season has always been March to October and the weather has always been the weather!

• Like 3

Friday 01/11/1985. Glasgow Tigers, 41 Middlesbrough Tigers, 37. Meeting had been postponed on 2 previous occasions. 1st on 19/07/1985. 2nd on 04/10/1985. Both because of rain. First meeting was called off at 11am. I travelled to the meeting, arriving at 4pm. Was dry and sunny. Track was bone dry. Having to race in November. We were missing Mark Fiora. Had returned to Oz. Cost us League Title. Which went to Ellesmere Port. We would of won the meeting. Back in July. Still bitter about Glasgows exploits 38 years ago.

1 minute ago, mikebaker said:

Friday 01/11/1985. Glasgow Tigers, 41 Middlesbrough Tigers, 37. Meeting had been postponed on 2 previous occasions. 1st on 19/07/1985. 2nd on 04/10/1985. Both because of rain. First meeting was called off at 11am. I travelled to the meeting, arriving at 4pm. Was dry and sunny. Track was bone dry. Having to race in November. We were missing Mark Fiora. Had returned to Oz. Cost us League Title. Which went to Ellesmere Port. We would have won the meeting. Back in July. Still bitter about Glasgows exploits 38 years ago.

Was at that meeting.

51 minutes ago, mikebaker said:

Friday 01/11/1985. Glasgow Tigers, 41 Middlesbrough Tigers, 37. Meeting had been postponed on 2 previous occasions. 1st on 19/07/1985. 2nd on 04/10/1985. Both because of rain. First meeting was called off at 11am. I travelled to the meeting, arriving at 4pm. Was dry and sunny. Track was bone dry. Having to race in November. We were missing Mark Fiora. Had returned to Oz. Cost us League Title. Which went to Ellesmere Port. We would of won the meeting. Back in July. Still bitter about Glasgows exploits 38 years ago.

Didn't Glasgow do their best to ensure you won the meeting. Reid and McKinna both got excluded in the final heat - tapes and 2 minutes but Dixon fell and the Bears lost the meeting and the title. Turning point was probably in heat 11 when Geoff Powell knocked Jim Burdfield off when passing him. Was impressed with Burdfields restraint when protesting the decision in what would prove to be my last night in the box.

Glasgow didn't want Ellesmere to win the title after they got the league points awarded on some technicality - track staff stopping a race rather than the referee or something like that! 

Edited by Beirao
Mis type

46 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Think it will interesting if Vissing is fit or will he be “telt to stay in the hoose “

He'll be there.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Beirao said:

Didn't Glasgow do their best to ensure you won the meeting. Reid and McKinna both got excluded in the final heat - tapes and 2 minutes but Dixon fell and the Bears lost the meeting and the title. Turning point was probably in heat 11 when Geoff Powell knocked Jim Burdfield off when passing him. Was impressed with Burdfields restraint when protesting the decision in what would prove to be my last night in the box.

Glasgow didn't want Ellesmere to win the title after they got the league points awarded on some technicality - track staff stopping a race rather than the referee or something like that! 

There was some “dodgy” stuff.It’s was bloody freezing,but I spend a bit of time with Jimmy Tannock on the terracing with all his stories of yesteryears. what a guy.!!

made you forget the cold night.