British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Glasgow V Poole Championship Final 8/10/23 6pm

As a Glasgow fan, I and probably most want the first leg, why? Because if we do like last year and the year before  and completely collapse at Poole it makes the home meeting a waste of time. The attendance at last year's second leg was awful, so at least if we even manage a  10/12 points lead to take down there, there would at least  be some optimism as opposed to a 22 point deficit to make up.

• Like 1

If you still have official meetings to stage at home, it shouldn’t matter whether you have the second leg at home or not, ideally everyone wants to win a trophy at home but 50% of the fans will always be disappointed, if you still have home matches outstanding at least you will get to parade the trophy in front of your core audience.

If it’s the last action of the season and your the team who finished top, then I can fully understand you wanting to enforce the second leg at home to maximise the moment should you pull it off.

Finishing top of the table whilst not meaning champions should carry some advantage or benefit, otherwise what’s the point of even trying.

• Like 1

On the Shovelar fishing front;

there's a difference between fishing and getting a bite with some cleverly placed bait and reeling in a prized trophy fish (metaphorically)

Or  theres the Shovelar method of throwing the biggest sticks of BS Dynamite into the pond  and then basking in his own reflection when all the fish coming bobbing to the surface covered in Shovelar nonsense wondering what the hecks going on.

21 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

That would be ridiculous considering we still got KO cup to fit in yet. 

And another one...

25 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Lets hope Joe Thompson is available. as Leicester Cubs are due at Mildenhall in the NDL Final 1st leg

And Mildenhall will now be without Complin

10 minutes ago, marko said:

If you still have official meetings to stage at home, it shouldn’t matter whether you have the second leg at home or not, ideally everyone wants to win a trophy at home but 50% of the fans will always be disappointed, if you still have home matches outstanding at least you will get to parade the trophy in front of your core audience.

If it’s the last action of the season and your the team who finished top, then I can fully understand you wanting to enforce the second leg at home to maximise the moment should you pull it off.

Finishing top of the table whilst not meaning champions should carry some advantage or benefit, otherwise what’s the point of even trying.

They got to pick Edinburgh instead of Redcar and Oxford. I'd call that a benefit.

Here we go again….. trying to run speedway in the wettest place in the UK at the beginning of winter. No doubt that Poole will find a dry Wednesday way before Glasgow have a dry day this side of Xmas. 
So disappointed that Oxford fell at the final hurdle - would have been a very well attended local derby vs the cheetahs, rather than a remote contest attended by a sprinkling of away supporters. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Here we go again….. trying to run speedway in the wettest place in the UK at the beginning of winter. No doubt that Poole will find a dry Wednesday way before Glasgow have a dry day this side of Xmas. 
So disappointed that Oxford fell at the final hurdle - would have been a very well attended local derby vs the cheetahs, rather than a remote contest attended by a sprinkling of away supporters. 

That’s unfortunate. Being a Glasgow fan, I’d never look at it like that, but I can see where you’re coming from. If I was a Poole fan, I’d feel the same.

Similarly, had we been waiting for Poole or Edinburgh in the Grand Final, we would be disappointed to miss-out on Edinburgh.

Hopefully both sides put on a show for fans who can attend, plus those watching on BSN from home.

24 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Glasgow race in  Scotland. And Glasgow isn’t even the wettest place in Scotland.

The wettest place in UK is in Wales.

Meeting on Sunday evening magic hopefully weather is OK, best of luck tigers give it your all that's all we ask, underdogs maybe over 2 legs but you never know we were 10 pts up on them earlier in the season after 4 heats at ashfield & pirates used a tactical straight away bang back in it thrres no tactical allowed now (yes I know none at Poole either) but at home meeting we need to show no respect no bowing to them no fear attack every one of em doesn't matter who it is get tarasenko on it let him know how important this is motivate him as all the other guys know what's at stake,  can see tigers winning about 50-40 yes I want more but im realistic.. I know that prob won't be enough but just give it a go anyway ..sadly at Poole we do struggle tom doesn't like track & Lee has 10 rides there this season ten lasts not even a point very worrying indeed & ace has gone he's not on pace at all i know he got 5 there before but hes getting 1 at home & finding it hard to even finish laps so ?  Jack smith should be used now its not about ace its about the team & chance of a title no idea about claus if hes not fit then he cant race now isnt the time if he is fit then ok ...Wimborne Rd is our big problem gonna take a super effort from bomber ben & vadim who has no track knowledge whatsoever a big ask , but all we can ask is a barnstorming home effort just to make them think ...and who knows 

Hopefully next year we won’t have ANY meetings in October but we can only wish.

Thinking out the box Just have the final in a neutral venue (national stadium) & scrap the 2 legs & possibly have the premiership & championship finals on the same day. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Diablo said:

Hopefully next year we won’t have ANY meetings in October but we can only wish.

Thinking out the box Just have the final in a neutral venue (national stadium) & scrap the 2 legs & possibly have the premiership & championship finals on the same day. 

Yeah they tried that with the summer/ premier/ jubilee/ new king trophy and look how that turned out... when's that getting run again?

2 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Yeah they tried that with the summer/ premier/ jubilee/ new king trophy and look how that turned out... when's that getting run again?

What do you mean again? They haven't finished the first one :rofl:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Very true but most knew 10 points was never enough of a lead for Oxford. If the final had been between Oxford and Poole, Cowley would have sold out in an hour. Many hundreds of Poole fans making the trip up. But not to be and it would be something for 15-20 Poole fans to make the trip to Glasgow. Too far for all but the most die hard. A ten hour trip up, and if the meeting finishes at 8pm Poole fans will be getting indoors around 6am. A couple of hundred pounds in fuel, food, entrance fee. Alternatively, watch it on BSN for £4. Bit of a no brainer.

I flew up 2 years ago which saved time, but cop26 was on and hotel rooms were £600 a night. Slept (didn’t sleep) in airport. Got home 11.30 am. Poole fan who dropped us at airport got home 9.30 am knackered.

Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Barabas said:

no tactical allowed now (yes I know none at Poole either)  

Is that correct, no tactical substitutes allowed in the grand final?

2 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Alternatively, watch it on BSN for £4. .

£4? Hook me up with your dealer, Steve.