British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Triple.H.

Playoff Final

19 minutes ago, hammer1969 said:

Just read this on Max Perry's facebook page.

" Just to update. Max is in a bad way. He is talking. Broken wrist, broken fingers, suspected broken ribs, knee, ankle, leg. Off to John Radcliffe he is On Morphine and IV pain relief. "

Hope he can get well soon.

Thoughts with the lad and his family. 

Really hope there aren't any internal complications as if that list isn't horrifying enough. 

On the cold light of day some very searching questions have to be asked about this and other fiascos

May be time for a complete clear out of the management committee and some form of independent govermence 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, HGould said:

Thoughts with the lad and his family. 

Really hope there aren't any internal complications as if that list isn't horrifying enough. 

On the cold light of day some very searching questions have to be asked about this and other fiascos

May be time for a complete clear out of the management committee and some form of independent govermence 

I think all right minded speedway supporters would agree with you! What a way for a young lad to finish a season full of promise, including beating Josh Pickering! I wish him well and hope that he comes back stronger than ever!

• Like 3

I can only echo the above and hope that Max makes a full recovery from his injuries.

I have followed speedway for over fifty years ap and down the country and  across Europe; but I don't think I have ever felt as incensed and disillusioned with sport in this country as I do right now.

There are so many things wrong with how it is run that you could fill a book if you listed them all. And, the events leading up to the conclusion of the NDL season, the decisions made and the way that events ultimately played out just summed it all up perfectly.

I am not a fan of any particular club, just a speedway fan, but I think if I was a fan of Mildenhall or Oxford right now I would not be "celebrating" my victory as it would feel very hollow having been achieved the way it has been. To be fair, it is not their fault, that is the hand they have been dealt - but I am pretty sure if it was my club I would feel very flat despite picking up the trophy. Maybe they should both refuse to accept the trophy under the circumstances and see where the BSPL Management Committee go from there! In all liklihood they would impose a fine on both clubs for refusing to accept their respective trophies. That would just about sum up the state of the sport at present in this country.

I can only agree with previous posts that a change is needed at the top because things can't continue as they are - the sport and its supporters deserve so much better than this!

Right now I am seriously considering whether I even bother with the sport anymore, I am that disillusioned. And, sadly, I fear I am not alone!

• Like 7

As an Oxford fan to be quite honest I didn’t give a monkeys about the league title after Max’s crash. It almost looked like the throttle stuck open and was horrifying, the bike hitting him the way it did probably made things worse. But it was obvious it was serious.

Dan Thompson stayed with Max the whole time he was on track and helped carry the stretcher to the ambulance, considering his age that was an incredible thing to do especially with Max suffering from the injuries he has.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Wild Man Vic said:

I can only echo the above and hope that Max makes a full recovery from his injuries.

I have followed speedway for over fifty years ap and down the country and  across Europe; but I don't think I have ever felt as incensed and disillusioned with sport in this country as I do right now.

There are so many things wrong with how it is run that you could fill a book if you listed them all. And, the events leading up to the conclusion of the NDL season, the decisions made and the way that events ultimately played out just summed it all up perfectly.

I am not a fan of any particular club, just a speedway fan, but I think if I was a fan of Mildenhall or Oxford right now I would not be "celebrating" my victory as it would feel very hollow having been achieved the way it has been. To be fair, it is not their fault, that is the hand they have been dealt - but I am pretty sure if it was my club I would feel very flat despite picking up the trophy. Maybe they should both refuse to accept the trophy under the circumstances and see where the BSPL Management Committee go from there! In all liklihood they would impose a fine on both clubs for refusing to accept their respective trophies. That would just about sum up the state of the sport at present in this country.

I can only agree with previous posts that a change is needed at the top because things can't continue as they are - the sport and its supporters deserve so much better than this!

Right now I am seriously considering whether I even bother with the sport anymore, I am that disillusioned. And, sadly, I fear I am not alone!

I can't believe the Mildenhall Manager said this:-

Mildenhall boss Jason Gardner said: “On a personal basis, I am over the moon to have a winners’ medal in my first season as sole team manager.

“But more importantly I’m really pleased for the club, the volunteers and supporters that we have the KOC back in the West Row trophy cabinet. It’s also a reward for missing out on both titles last season. 

“Of course it’s a shame that we didn’t win on the track, but that was out of our hands.”

1 hour ago, BackInTheDHSS said:

Surely Leicester is mainly to blame for the shocking end to the NDL season. They’ve literally had months to sort these fixtures.

Irrespective of blame for the delays to fixtures  ( the Leicester boggy track being key to this  ) thoughts are with Max Perry and  I sincerely hope for a full recovery from his injuries sustained IMO by the failure of the ref to call off and declare the meeting last night at the earliest opportunity (heat 10) given the poor conditions .

The ref should be questioned at a senior level and asked his reasons for continuing the meeting . Further training should be offered to assist. 

Sadly nothing changes in speedway and I see the same old same old drivel and excuses trotted out year after year by the same old “promoters”  of the sport. NDL clubs run but a couple of handful of meetings a season and yet cannot complete their fixtures. 

Strict time limits to run fixtures MUST be imposed and rigidly adhered to by ALL clubs. 
Failure to run a fixture in a timely manner should result in the match being forfeited 75 -0 

Maybe just maybe this would instil a sense of urgency in running fixtures earlier in the season? 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Irrespective of blame for the delays to fixtures  ( the Leicester boggy track being key to this  ) thoughts are with Max Perry and  I sincerely hope for a full recovery from his injuries sustained IMO by the failure of the ref to call off and declare the meeting last night at the earliest opportunity (heat 10) given the poor conditions .

The ref should be questioned at a senior level and asked his reasons for continuing the meeting . Further training should be offered to assist. 

Firstly I wasn’t there so I don’t know the state of the track/weather between heats 1 and 10 but why should a referee wait until heat 10 to call a meeting off if the track is in a dangerous or unfit condition? Was the track any different between heats 10 and 12, if not, any of the riders could have suffered the same injuries as Max Perry in the first 10 heats. So saying the ref is accountable for letting riders ride in the same track conditions after heat 10 as they were in the first 10 is wrong. 
Like I said I wasn’t there so maybe the ref could and should of called it off after heat 10 but what would the Oxford fans have said to that if it was Leicester who were 2 points up ? 

26 minutes ago, KEITH M said:

Firstly I wasn’t there so I don’t know the state of the track/weather between heats 1 and 10 but why should a referee wait until heat 10 to call a meeting off if the track is in a dangerous or unfit condition? Was the track any different between heats 10 and 12, if not, any of the riders could have suffered the same injuries as Max Perry in the first 10 heats. So saying the ref is accountable for letting riders ride in the same track conditions after heat 10 as they were in the first 10 is wrong. 
Like I said I wasn’t there so maybe the ref could and should of called it off after heat 10 but what would the Oxford fans have said to that if it was Leicester who were 2 points up ? 

The track wasn't too bad. Perry crashed in heat 12 (I'm not sure the track was to blame) and then there was a 45-min (ish) wait for him to get treatment. It was during this time that the heavens opened and the conditions became pretty bad. In other words, the track was okay for the first 11 heats, but wouldn't have been by the time they were able to continue, so can't see why they would have called it off after heat 10.

Hope Perry makes a swift recovery.

• Like 2

On 10/30/2023 at 10:32 PM, BackInTheDHSS said:

Don't forget Mildenhall won their KO Cup semi-final on 16th April....

Workington staged their home leg of the KO Cup semi-final against Leicester on 8th July....

....And yet wouldnt agree to race the return at Leicester until August, which was rained off and agree to a restaging date of September.

Edited by W9 Lion

35 minutes ago, W9 Lion said:

....And yet wouldnt agree to race the return at Leicester until August, which was rained off and agree to a restaging date of September.

Interesting that all of the meetings that weren't completed all involved Leicester but the opponent's were all different teams, including one From 2022!

Think that might tell a story over Leicester's overall Management especially after Sunday's farce  …

Best wishes to Max Perry

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mel said:

Interesting that all of the meetings that weren't completed all involved Leicester but the opponent's were all different teams, including one From 2022!

Think that might tell a story over Leicester's overall Management especially after Sunday's farce  …

Best wishes to Max Perry

You might think that, I wouldn't possibly like to comment. And add on two home finals staged at King's Lynn last year.

• Like 2

I was there.

The track was tricky, from the off. But not dangerous. Indeed, conditions improved after a couple of races and without the long delay I'm certain we'd have seen the full 15 heats completed.
Max Perry's accident looked like one of those starting incidents. I believe there was bunching before the riders got to the first bend and Max straightened up, going straight on into the first bend air fence, at high speed. Unfortunately he had no chance to bale out. 
Was the track a contributory factor? That's hard to say with 100% certainty, but in my view, it certainly wasn't the primary cause. I don't think the referee, the team managers or any of the riders are responsible for what happened. 

It was very sad that the meeting ended and the season for that matter, with serious injuries to a quickly improving rider. Our very best wishes to Max and here's hoping for a full recovery as soon as possible.

Edited by False dawn
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, KEITH M said:

The meeting was only called off because of rain that fell AFTER Max Perry's crash.

• Like 2