British Speedway Forum
jbell1995

Plymouth Gladiators 2024

5 hours ago, torpointfanatic22 said:

Appreciate this is an example but promoters shouldn’t be building to anything until the AGM, so bigger fool them if they have made assumptions. As I say appreciate this was an example but you know full well some promoters are in cahoots to get ahead of the game and agree to support one another before they get around the table.

Yes maybe but the rumoured 38 point limit has been discussed and broadly agreed (by the majority of club promoters; ps. I'd love to know the vote result!!) during their regular meetings throughout the season. The AGM - like any company AGM - should be just to 'rubber-stamp' what has been agreed to date - unless there is a change in the number of teams taking part in each league!!!

There is clearly a move to widen the gap between Prem and Championship and the way they.ve chosen to do it (we think) is to reduce the Championship team building limit rather than increase the smaller Premiership League,

Edited by Skidder1

From what I gather some  premiership teams are far from certain to run next year, Birmingham/Wolverhampton and Peterborough,  so may have to persuade a couple of championship teams to move up. Think this is causing a lot of unrest 

20 minutes ago, Neila said:

From what I gather some  premiership teams are far from certain to run next year, Birmingham/Wolverhampton and Peterborough,  so may have to persuade a couple of championship teams to move up. Think this is causing a lot of unrest 

Why should the Championship have to suffer to preserve the “so called” Premiership when only a handful of the different riders in that division are better than the present level of second division riders…..the majority are the same riders anyway. It’s a farce. I know it’s unlikely to happen but surely, logically,  it’s time for one league with each team meeting twice home and away. 

• Like 5

Not enuf riders to do one big league, also with Sweden , Denmark and Poland and international commitments, not enuf free days for the UK to run one big league 

6 hours ago, Neila said:

Not enuf riders to do one big league, also with Sweden , Denmark and Poland and international commitments, not enuf free days for the UK to run one big league 

There IS a solution and it is a BREAKAWAY like in the 60's

I think Adrian Smith (much missed) was closeset to advocating this and was effectively ground down by the Management Committee.

How could it work, and could it actually be done without rancour and massive disturbance.

The issue lies not with the BSPL solely on this. The structure needs changing and the SCB needs abolishing.

The ACU who link to the FIM need to authorise 2 separate UK bodies - a PL body and a CL body (once authorised and with FIM approval and DIFFERENT titles they could become autonomous)

Let the PL as we'll call them for now take the Discovery Money

Let the CL as we'll call them for now take the kudos of the Owners of Glasgow, Poole  and the experience of some of the excellent Promoters in the CL and go their own separate way.

Allow some Riders to double up / a select number of heat Leaders and an age restricted section (under 24) so each can have 2 from each group. All the PL would need to find then is 18 riders from round the globe who could ride PL only.

Over time this could be wickered down or left as it is if required.

It won't be easy, it won't be pretty but it needs doing and it needs doing NOW!

Other sports can do it...The PL and EFL work under separate auspices, the TCCB and the Hundred work under different auspices, various Rugby Union bodies work under different auspices, Darts wourks under different auspices.

It DOESN'T have to be "all out war" it can be a Parting of the Ways for the benefit of the Sport.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Neila said:

Use riders from the former NDL to make up the teams. Riders commit to Britain, other than National Championship or Internationals, or don't ride in Britain at all.

I see Richie's ban been extended 30 days for something said on social media I take it?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

I see Richie's ban been extended 30 days for something said on social media I take it?

Lol. Something about the jury being biased? (If we are going on what he originally posted and not something in the comments). 

Edited by lisa-colette
  • Like 1

My nerves are starting to get shot now worrying weather we will run next year does anyone no when we will get the full fallout from the AGM.

48 minutes ago, Mike0310 said:

My nerves are starting to get shot now worrying weather we will run next year does anyone no when we will get the full fallout from the AGM.

When the AGM is finished!

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Mike0310 said:

When the last promoter rolls out of bed on their last day there.

14 hours ago, Mike0310 said:

Unfortunately we had the same feeling at Workington season after season after Tony Mole left the club. The constant cry for wolf by owners, incompetent in workington's case, without proper business plans.

I hope that saturday night racing helps the cause going forward, but it has this inevitable feeling of 'when not if' it closes. Hopefully that date is some way off.

It's going to be harder than ever to keep tracks open that are sorely for racenights only, and not used by other means.

15 hours ago, Mike0310 said:

Did I not read that Plymouth lost £40,000 last season.Who bankrolls that.

38 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Did I not read that Plymouth lost £40,000 last season.Who bankrolls that.

The Undertaker, however I'm sure any donations would not be refused.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1