British Speedway Forum
jbell1995

Plymouth Gladiators 2024

Facility for Nico Covatti.
With regards to our exhaustive efforts to find a cover for our injured number one rider, the Speedway Control Board (SCB) has now granted Plymouth a facility of 28 days for Nico Covatti, who was in our initial team declaration but, unfortunately, crashed whilst racing in the Argentinian Championships, in January. This means that we are now able to use a guest rider to cover Nico’s position for a month.
The SCB has acknowledged the current shortage of heat leaders, and of our tireless efforts in trying to source a replacement number one.
The club would like to thank the SCB and appreciates the assistance and understanding that it has shown the Plymouth Prowpark Gladiators.

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

SCB now grant a 28-day guest facility to Plymouth to cover Covatti's absence,

Wrong decision, sadly the SCB/BSPL just have the cahonas anymore.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hamster00 said:

Totally disagree, common sense is often lacking in this sport but I think for once it has prevailed.

A minor league sport where we should be doing everything we can to preserve and help the clubs within the system survive, I’ve been following the sport since the late 90’s and the amount of teams who have fallen on hard times and disappeared to then never return is staggering, to the point where the bare bones remain.

Giving Plymouth no facility and then basically no hope of competing never mind winning would surely turn not only casual fans away but the fantastic loyal support that the club has.

The last thing I as a speedway fan want to see is another club fall on hard times through in theory very little/no fault of there own.

Why do you want to see Plymouth in a potentially bad situation? Is it so your own club does better? I’m a Berwick fan like yourself and I would much rather have as many competitive teams in the league as possible and teams being sustainable for years to come.

Respectively I can`t agree, how can a team get a guest facility for a rider that`s never ridden for them. 

We either have rules that all clubs abide by or we don`t. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, screm said:

Wrong decision, sadly the SCB/BSPL just have the cahonas anymore.

But Poole got 28 day facility for that Czech who never rode for us a few years ago, so unless the rules have changed since then, I don't see the problem. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, screm said:

Respectively I can`t agree, how can a team get a guest facility for a rider that`s never ridden for them. 

I don’t think we will ever agree and I understand the point you are making.

I just don’t want to see another club fail when things could be done and in my opinion have done nothing wrong.

They signed Nico Covatti, he would/will ride for them as soon as he is fit enough and it is just extremely unfortunate that he became injured riding elsewhere.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

But Poole got 28 day facility for that Czech who never rode for us a few years ago, so unless the rules have changed since then, I don't see the problem. 

Correct lisa and I believe that there has been other examples of this aswell with other clubs. The precedent was set a while back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Frankly, Plymouth aren't making the playoffs, so they can have Bartosz Zmarzlik for cover if they can convince him to come as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Noelinho
  • Like 2

Think the most important thing is to try & ensure we don't lose any more teams. I really admire the dedication of the owners to try & improve the track & facilities. As a Panthers fan, I would love to be able to go to a similar venue near Peterborough.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, screm said:
Facility for Nico Covatti.
With regards to our exhaustive efforts to find a cover for our injured number one rider, the Speedway Control Board (SCB) has now granted Plymouth a facility of 28 days for Nico Covatti, who was in our initial team declaration but, unfortunately, crashed whilst racing in the Argentinian Championships, in January. This means that we are now able to use a guest rider to cover Nico’s position for a month.
The SCB has acknowledged the current shortage of heat leaders, and of our tireless efforts in trying to source a replacement number one.
The club would like to thank the SCB and appreciates the assistance and understanding that it has shown the Plymouth Prowpark Gladiators.

Wrong decision. Plymouth once again making a mockery of the sport. Worst run club in the Championship! 

1 hour ago, Noelinho said:

Frankly, Plymouth aren't making the playoffs, so they can have Bartosz Zmarzlik for cover if they can convince him to come as far as I'm concerned.

That would be good to see as bartoz struggled to get round Glasgow a couple of years ago , god knows what he would make of Plymouth :D

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, screm said:

We don't, and never do...

The "In the interest of Speedway" card regularly gets played ,which clearly shows that all rules can be (pardon the pun),'ridden over, as is, and when, required...

A common sense approach in a tiny minority sport where whoever wins the league isn't going to earn "millions", or even "hundreds of thousand's" and, as history tells us, could even close down due to the financial strain of getting that success..

With so few teams it is bad for business for all the clubs to have any "cannon fodder" which fails to attract crowds both home and away...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Bellers101 said:

Wrong decision. Plymouth once again making a mockery of the sport. Worst run club in the Championship! 

How does losing your number one to injury before the season starts make you a badly run club. If it were true then some of the most successful clubs in the sport would according to you be badly run.

I think the situation proves that there should be rules about what happens when a team finds themselves in the position that Plymouth are currently in. Those rules should take into account the effect on whichever club has been unlucky enough to be facing the problem Plymouth are in and also consider how such a rule affects the sport as a whole. 

Any new rule will also have to consider what happens if the injured rider then decides not to take their place in the team while riding in other countries or due to retirement. ALL the promotions need to think very carefully before agreeing to any such rule(s) as the last thing the sport needs is another badly written rule that is open to interpretation depending on who is asking.

• Haha 1

I'm normally one for sticking to the rule book, however, on this occasion given the circumstances and the clubs unsuccessful attempts to sign a heat leader I believe the common sense approach has been taken. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I see that Plymouth had snow that settled last night! They really have had some incredible weather, I really don't think the early call offs are anything other than genuine.

As for the Covatti facility, I have mixed feelings but I think its common sense to grant some kind of facility. I'd always prefer R/R over borrowing other team's riders but it is what it is and the league needs all its teams to be competitive.

• Like 3