British Speedway Forum
Midget

Workington 2024

15 minutes ago, poole keith said:

Saturday at 3!!! That's going  to be hard,so much competition  for everybody's  time then 

8 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Good luck for when the Euros '24 and Paris Olympics start!!

It was Saturday 3pm this season if people don't know that. Personally no good for me as I play local sport at the same time.

I'm sure the promotion would avoid clashes with the England matches, they aren't daft, plus it's not going to be weekly Speedway. And I don't think anyone will be missing a meeting because of the Olympics!

4 minutes ago, Marksman said:

It was Saturday 3pm this season if people don't know that. Personally no good for me as I play local sport at the same time.

I'm sure the promotion would avoid clashes with the England matches, they aren't daft, plus it's not going to be weekly Speedway. And I don't think anyone will be missing a meeting because of the Olympics!

Semi finals and final  of euros in 2024 are on Wednesday and Sunday. So should avoid any clashes.

4 minutes ago, lewy said:

Semi finals and final  of euros in 2024 are on Wednesday and Sunday. So should avoid any clashes.

But what about the games England are in...?:D

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Good luck for when the Euros '24 and Paris Olympics start!!

Might takes thousands of the crowd you reckon.!!!

3 hours ago, poole keith said:

Saturday at 3!!! That's going  to be hard,so much competition  for everybody's  time then 

Will be a lot easier for traveling fans to come to the Northside arena, and as most of the league is northern based, could be a few traveling fans, may also be attractive for southern fans, weekend in lakes and Saturday afternoon speedway 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Neila said:

Will be a lot easier for traveling fans to come to the Northside arena, and as most of the league is northern based, could be a few traveling fans, may also be attractive for southern fans, weekend in lakes and Saturday afternoon speedway 

Yeah, it’s pretty good for me. Much better than an evening. I’ll plan to come down if I can, when there’s some tasty opposition in town.

8 hours ago, StevePark said:

8.52 with the reduction in a "watered down" league could be a bargain.

I agree! Was looking through his CL averages over the years and it reminds you how dominant and consistent he's been at this level. "Bad" seasons have still been 9 point averages.

2009 Workington   3.93
2010 Workington   7.47
2011 Edinburgh     8.09
2012 Edinburgh     9.99
2013 Edinburgh   10.83
2014 Edinburgh   10.41
2015 Edinburgh   10.47
2016 Peterborough  9.67
2017 Workington 10.37
2018 Glasgow      11.05
2019 Glasgow      10.71
2021 Glasgow        9.46
2022 Glasgow        8.98
2023 Edinburgh     9.08

• Like 5

10 hours ago, paul84 said:

Personally I’d have Cook at number 1 still got plenty in the tank in my opinion. I also think riding for his local Club with the right people around him and local support will let us see the best of him on track.

He’s rode at a high level for the majority of his career and will be a top rider  in the championship if he’s in the right place, time for him to come home.

Cook has his well published mental challenges, however just to overcome them, or even just cope with them, as he has shown he can do, actually (and maybe even ironically), shows great mental strength and resilience..

In a place local to him, with supportive  management, and in a league of a significantly lower standard, I can see him flourish, and also have a Div 1 place after a couple of months or so as teams make changes to their middle order.., 

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Neila said:

If the fixtures get lined up to create a couple of mini northern tours it could add to the gate, Glas/Edin/Redcar friday night, Worky Sat pm , Scunny sunday.... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

If the fixtures get lined up to create a couple of mini northern tours it could add to the gate, Glas/Edin/Redcar friday night, Worky Sat pm , Scunny sunday.... 

I don't think there is enough meetings to do this anymore unfortunately, otherwise you'd be racing 3 of your 8 away league matches in a single weekend.

1 hour ago, Marksman said:

I don't think there is enough meetings to do this anymore unfortunately, otherwise you'd be racing 3 of your 8 away league matches in a single weekend.

It's OK though.... one or two are bound to be called off due to poor weather forecasts...... LOL

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Marksman said:

Might get the fixtures finished on schedule if that happened though.For a change.!

3 hours ago, Marksman said:

Matters less for away matches than home matches.

personaly i think 3pm dust bowl meetings @£20  will turn a few away  

i feel spedway is best under floodlights but others do prefer afternoon meetings