British Speedway Forum
Bojangles

Oxford Cheetahs 2024

36 minutes ago, Macca said:

Genuinely can’t believe people think that is a poor team. 

At home they have 

2 x Heatleaders 

2 x Second Strings

3 x reserves 

Away 

2 x Heat Leaders 

1 x Second String 

4 x reserves 

Masters and Nicholls better score 12+ every week or this team is going to be beat heavily 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, phillipsr said:

At home they have 

2 x Heatleaders 

2 x Second Strings

3 x reserves 

Away 

2 x Heat Leaders 

1 x Second String 

4 x reserves 

Masters and Nicholls better score 12+ every week or this team is going to be beat heavily 

And with the low point limit in the Championship I think this will be the composition of many teams.

6 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Packed with potential. I'd perhaps have go e for Rowe rather than Heeps but as had been said the loyalty is a good thing and perhaps they've gone for his extra experience.

Packed with potential? Boughen and possibly Killeen (if he can stop crashing), yes, not sure about the rest. Jenkins and Atkins are slowly improving but aren't overnight sensations and the other 3 aren't improving much, if at all.

As has been said elsewhere, it looks quite weak compared to this year, but then all teams will. 

A side with a lot of potential to improve and fans must remember two very important points.

1. The Championship has drastically been weakened so a lot of teams will look a lot weaker on paper than they did in 2023.

2. Oxford are running in the Premiership too so the books have to be balanced out as best as they possibly can be otherwise it'll lead to a financial disaster.

31 minutes ago, RogerM22 said:

Packed with potential? Boughen and possibly Killeen (if he can stop crashing), yes, not sure about the rest. Jenkins and Atkins are slowly improving but aren't overnight sensations and the other 3 aren't improving much, if at all.

As has been said elsewhere, it looks quite weak compared to this year, but then all teams will. 

More to come from Jenkins and Atkins I reckon. Agree about Killeen but the potential is there.

Boughen could well end up challenging for a heat leader position. 

5 hours ago, Bojangles said:

We had both Heeps and Newman in 2022....and Heeps was better, so not sure why we'd go back to Newman? Killeen has plenty of potential, and Atkins was far from outclassed in a tougher league at number 2 last season.

Newman's form was much better in 2023, Heeps and Atkins were poor away from home and Killeen isnt good enough in my opinion, Kemp or Rowe would be better if available, Jenkins should Improve quite a bit definitely got loads of potential 

Edited by foreverblue

4 hours ago, phillipsr said:

Same sort of thing we were all saying before this season (heat leaders need to almost go unbeaten) and look what happened. 

11 hours ago, Fozzie4388 said:

Are you still sure about this?

Think they have made a howler there, there's gotta be a stronger option than Heeps with a point to spare, so couldn't believe they'd stick with him.

Reminds me of Lynn & Ipswich, these teams have good looking squads, but could've been even stronger if using up the available points.

10 hours ago, Bojangles said:

Team looks decent to me. Personally, I like the loyal approach - that certainly resonates with fans. Yes Heeps was a bit ht and miss, but he was strong at home and that should make winning all the home fixtures the priority. Two strong heat leaders, and four riders would should improve. You'd expect Killeen and Boughen to be key at reserve. If they improve throughout the year I think Oxford won't be too far away towards the end of the season.

10 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Packed with potential. I'd perhaps have gone for Rowe rather than Heeps but as had been said the loyalty is a good thing and perhaps they've gone for his extra experience.

What if Oxford went for Dillon Ruml instead of Heeps. Heeps was only preferred to Ruml because of the limit last year, so does it count as loyalty, giving Ruml another go?

Obviously I don't know if they asked, or if he wants to come back to the UK.

1 hour ago, szkocjasid said:

What if Oxford went for Dillon Ruml instead of Heeps. Heeps was only preferred to Ruml because of the limit last year, so does it count as loyalty, giving Ruml another go?

Obviously I don't know if they asked, or if he wants to come back to the UK.

Agreed. Ruml was definitely one I would have liked to see back - arguably rider of the year in 2022 and was very unlucky not to be retained. Guessing perhaps he's staying in the US now.

• Like 1

As a bit of an old git nowadays, one of the biggest whines I've heard over the years from supporters of many teams is we have different riders every year.

Oxford have 7 riders who rode for the club last year. Four of them and potentially five if Cameron Heeps rides like he is more than capable of.

I'm happy with the team, we might win the wooden spoon but I doubt it.

Last season I thought we were way too top heavy, I was wrong.

All I know is the season ain't over till the last heat, I'll be there for every meeting I can get to in all 3 leagues.

• Like 3

There can be no arguement over the clubs loyalty. Someone had to be left out & Lewi Kerr was that man. To ask a 2.00 rider to offer the same points return is impossible. But all the other teams in the league have the same issues. Oxford have again made the decision to track strong riders at the top in Masters & Nicholls it served them well in 23. If there is a weakness I will put it down to Heeps, he started as a top 3 rider & is now nothing more than a strong reserve & that in turn makes the two 2.00 pointers at reserve look much weaker. Atkins must move into the top 5 & has to be pushed if he is to improve. Jenkins can keep moving forward my only fear is his talent can be overshone by his desire.

This team will make the play-offs again, how close they get to the title will come down to luck

2 strong Heatleaders,a lot depending on Killeen and Boughen improving rapidly,but again if they move into Top 5 how will they fare.Wait and see job IMO.

There is no doubt some riders will step up this season. Its just a case who will they be and hope we have chosen them. 

Oxford season ticket details....

*Oxford Chargers Pass – National League £49 – Valid for 5 Chargers National League home fixtures.

*Oxford Cheetahs Pass – Championship League £199 – Valid for 11 Cheetahs Championship League home fixtures.

*Oxford Spires Pass – Premiership League £239 – Valid for 12 Spires Premiership League home fixtures.

*10 Match Pass – Cheetahs and Spires £199 – Valid for any 10 Cheetahs/Spires League home fixtures *

*Ultimate Pass – Chargers, Cheetahs and Spires £449 – Valid for Chargers, Cheetahs and Spires scheduled 28 home fixtures*