British Speedway Forum
longmeadow

Promoters Conference

32 minutes ago, longmeadow said:

Does anybody know the date of the agm?

3 days in Tenerife in 3rd week November apparently 

On 10/19/2023 at 3:26 PM, HGould said:

3 days in Tenerife in 3rd week November apparently 

Strange how the AGM for British Speedway is held  miles away in Spain, where the sun is beating down and the beer is cheap. Can't work that one out?

1 hour ago, Bunce said:

Strange how the AGM for British Speedway is held  miles away in Spain, where the sun is beating down and the beer is cheap. Can't work that one out?

It's the first time it's been out of the UK for several years! Tenerife over Rugby? What's not to like?!:D

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

It's the first time it's been out of the UK for several years! Tenerife over Rugby? What's not to like?!:D

The outcome?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 11/7/2023 at 3:09 PM, Bunce said:

Give them a wee bit of credit for initiative.Just trying to make sure it's not another rained off meeting

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

How many promoters get a summer holiday? I certainly  don't begrudge them a bit of a break, all be it they'll be working for three days, in the sun.

• Like 1

As they pay for it does it matter?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Catalan said:

As they pay for it does it matter?

A cheap flight to Tenerife, two nights in a hotel, and holding the meetings in the hotel, will be cheaper than the cost of hiring ACU house for three days and the petrol cost of driving to Rugby and back for 3 days.

• Like 1

Normally they make promoters stay in hotel jf held in the UK. 

As you say cheaper this way and pretty much guaranteed some sun.

It's in Tenerife so they can't run off back home if they don't like the decisions made, apparently it's happened before when held in the UK 

26 minutes ago, Neila said:

It's in Tenerife so they can't run off back home if they don't like the decisions made, apparently it's happened before when held in the UK 

It's far cheaper, easier and quicker to hop on a plane from Tenerife back to the UK than it is to drive home from Rugby to Poole or Glasgow.

12 minutes ago, RoundTheBoards said:

It's far cheaper, easier and quicker to hop on a plane from Tenerife back to the UK than it is to drive home from Rugby to Poole or Glasgow.

Doubt it.  That's how they want to skew it.  Any time I've been to the Canaries it aint cheap.  In principle it stinks to high heaven.  Absolute disgrace.  Tracks folding all over the place, the sport is strapped for cash, there's a cost of living crisis, they could have a meeting in Rugby and no need for any accommodation or extravagant expense or have a zoom meeting.  As I understand it most of the decisions have already been made for 2024, this is just a jolly.  They should be putting the money into facilities or reducing admission prices, not going on grandiose trips abroad.  If they want to have a holiday then pay for it privately, not under the auspices of speedway.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, GS550 said:

Doubt it.  That's how they want to skew it.  Any time I've been to the Canaries it aint cheap.  In principle it stinks to high heaven.  Absolute disgrace.  Tracks folding all over the place, the sport is strapped for cash, there's a cost of living crisis, they could have a meeting in Rugby and no need for any accommodation or extravagant expense or have a zoom meeting.  As I understand it most of the decisions have already been made for 2024, this is just a jolly.  They should be putting the money into facilities or reducing admission prices, not going on grandiose trips abroad.  If they want to have a holiday then pay for it privately, not under the auspices of speedway.

They picked the hotel because they had heard it has plenty of "guests"....

I'll get me coat...

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, GS550 said:

Who says the sport is strapped for cash?

• Haha 1