British Speedway Forum
frigbo

Rick France

Sad news on social media that former Coventry, Sheffield and Halifax heat leader Rick France has passed away.

Edited by frigbo
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, frigbo said:

Sad news on social media that former Coventry, Sheffield and Halifax heat leader Rick France has passed away.

Really sad. A very underrated rider, and I'm sure that a lot of modern fans don't know that he was a World Finalist.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chunky said:

Really sad. A very underrated rider, and I'm sure that a lot of modern fans don't know that he was a World Finalist.

A very likeable character who partnered Ron Mountford in a Garage in Bloxwich. If my memory serves me right I recall that he had a troublesome shoulder injury that hampered his progress.

Didn't he dislocate it one time in a fall at Coventry and put it back in place by running into a wall? (Or something like that?)

• Like 1

Remember him from my childhood days supporting the Bees. One of my heroes along with Booey, Ron Mountford and the rest. RIP Rick. Condolences to the family.

Sad to hear. I seem to remember him having a lot of problems with his shoulder the season the Bees won the title in 1968, but he continued riding through the pain as far as I recall.

RIP.

1 hour ago, Gambo said:

A very likeable character who partnered Ron Mountford in a Garage in Bloxwich. If my memory serves me right I recall that he had a troublesome shoulder injury that hampered his progress.

Didn't he dislocate it one time in a fall at Coventry and put it back in place by running into a wall? (Or something like that?)

Not sure about the wall story. But he did dislocate his shoulder on numerous occasions.

Rick was a real favourite with the Coventry faithful, me included and it's a sad day.
RIP Rick

• Like 1

R.I.P. + Rick.

My condolences to his friends and family.

4 hours ago, chunky said:

That's a downer. As you would imagine I certainly remember Rick making the World Final, in fact I was at WEst Ham for the meeting when he qualified-1967 tight?

1 hour ago, BOBBATH said:

That's a downer. As you would imagine I certainly remember Rick making the World Final, in fact I was at WEst Ham for the meeting when he qualified-1967 tight?

Yep... He lost his last race to Ray Wilson, but it was enough for both of them to qualify ahead of Broady, who had won the previous race to finish on 9 points.

Sad news indeed. Recall Rick's last year at Halifax.

RIP

Very very sad and shocking news to wake up to this morning. A very underrated talent and always portrayed as Ron's sidekick you might say, but what a brilliant pairing they made on track. he was a key member of the team in the '60s A pleasure to watch racing and progress constantly, and what a season when he qualified for the World Final. a decent guy all round, he gave me some good advice when I had similar shoulder problems in 67, thanks Rick.

RIP Rick  my thoughts are with Rick's family and friends, a truly sad day for the Bees.

Remember him playing a vital part in Bees win at Coatbridge in 1968 while riding with a rather makeshift strapping on top of his leathers. The win would prove to be pivotal in the Bees taking the BL title on racepoints ahead of Hackney that year.  This wasn't his first league title, having been part of the Wolverhampton team that won the PL in 1963. Seem to remember his signing for the Wolves was quite controversial. Anyone know the details? 

14 hours ago, chunky said:

Yep... He lost his last race to Ray Wilson, but it was enough for both of them to qualify ahead of Broady, who had won the previous race to finish on 9 points.

Interestingly, Nigel Boocock won his first race and broke the track record (Heat 1), but he ended up with only  7 points and didn't qualify for the WF. When he met brother Eric, Eric won that race and Nigel finished second. I recall it as being a very warm evening and the racing was excellent.