British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Your First World Final

I got to 5; 1965,1975,1978,1981,1982. I think the most exciting racing was 1981. Particularly the overtaking of Olsen and Knudsen by Bruce Penhall. Any other forumlanders get to 1982 in L.A. (besides Chunky and me) ?

3 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

I got to 5; 1965,1975,1978,1981,1982. I think the most exciting racing was 1981. Particularly the overtaking of Olsen and Knudsen by Bruce Penhall. Any other forumlanders get to 1982 in L.A. (besides Chunky and me) ?

Just remember, Bob; those two Penhall races were the the only two real races in 81. People say it was a special final, but do two races make the evening that special racing-wise?

1976 provided much better racing.

• Like 1

1972, 1975, 1978 & 1990 for me

all were memorable for different reasons, 1972 because it was my first major event & the Wembley atmosphere (you had to be there to believe it) ,1975 because a Newport rider was in the running  Crumpie was riding. 1978 was great atmosphere & finally 1990 was the best racing, We went on a Speedway Mail trip. Wiggy was the guest speaker at a dinner.

On 2/10/2024 at 9:04 PM, chunky said:

Just remember, Bob; those two Penhall races were the the only two real races in 81. People say it was a special final, but do two races make the evening that special racing-wise?

This^^.  My 1st was 1981: recall Jessup had a reasonable race with Penhall til his bike packed up, & also 1985.  Couldn't make 1978 (folks deemed me too young to travel alone on supporter's club coach :()  or 1990 (was ill), took a while to acquire much-ballyhoo-ed 1990 WF on DVD, racing no better than '85 IMO....

Edited by martinmauger
spelling

1965 then every Wembley final after.

On 2/10/2024 at 9:04 PM, chunky said:

For me the 1981 World Final at Wembley (my first world final) was special not only because of those two races but also because of the atmosphere and noise the 92,000 crowd created watching racing under the lights at the old Wembley stadium. It is the only meeting I have been to where you couldn't hear the noise of the bikes due to the noise of the crowd and the air horns.

2 hours ago, bigdave said:

For me the 1981 World Final at Wembley (my first world final) was special not only because of those two races but also because of the atmosphere and noise the 92,000 crowd created watching racing under the lights at the old Wembley stadium. It is the only meeting I have been to where you couldn't hear the noise of the bikes due to the noise of the crowd and the air horns.

That was the exact reason why Wembley finals were special - the atmosphere!

• Like 2

1972, 1975, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985 for me

I was late on the World Final circuit but those I attended were 1981, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 & 88.

1972 but to young to remember

Slightly different to thread title i know but when asked the best rider never to have won the World individual title Leigh Adams and Tommy Knudsen are often mentioned, i asked a free AI engine it came back with

According to www.iAsk.ai Ask Ai Answer Engine:

Determining the “best” rider never to win the Speedway World Individual title involves subjective judgment and analysis of various factors, including individual achievements, consistency, impact on the sport, and recognition by peers and experts. However, one name that frequently emerges in discussions among fans, experts, and historical analyses is Tommy Jansson.

Tommy Jansson was a Swedish speedway rider whose career was tragically cut short by a fatal accident during a race in 1976. Despite his brief career, Jansson’s talent, style, and potential were undeniable. He was considered one of the most promising riders of his generation and had already shown signs of greatness that led many to believe he would have secured a World Championship title had he had the opportunity to fulfill his potential.

Jansson’s riding style combined smoothness with aggression, making him a formidable competitor on the track. He had already achieved significant success in team competitions and was making his mark in individual championships at the time of his death. His impact on the sport went beyond his achievements on the track; he was highly regarded for his sportsmanship and character, which endeared him to fans and fellow competitors alike.

Given the subjective nature of determining the “best” rider never to win the title, it’s challenging to assign an exact probability to the assertion that Tommy Jansson is the correct answer. However, considering his widespread recognition among authoritative sources and within the speedway community as a supremely talented rider whose potential was universally acknowledged but unfulfilled due to his untimely death, it’s reasonable to assert that there is a high degree of consensus about his standing.

The probability that Tommy Jansson is the correct answer to this question, based on authoritative sources and expert opinions within the sport of speedway racing, could be considered quite high within the context of such a subjective assessment. However, assigning a specific numerical probability would not accurately reflect the nuanced nature of historical and hypothetical evaluations.......

Is this a wild call or a reasonable assumption?