British Speedway Forum
tocha

Peter Craven Memorial Trophy - Monday 18th March.

11 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

There can be many reasons why folk consider it value for money. Some may not be able to travel for various reasons , work , health , cost etc. for those £15 is an excellent deal i would suggest

That still doesn’t make it good value Dave which ever way you slice it. As you say some want to watch who just can’t get to the meeting for whatever reason so have little choice. For some 15 quid is a drop in the ocean and will think nothing of it and just pay it, none of that still makes 15 quid for a pre-season filler for two hours value for money. Some get Eurosport free with their TV packages, but a lot don’t. But you can sign up for Discovery plus on one of their cheaper packages for £6.99 a month, during the speedway season you’ll get a GP or two, and a couple of Premiership meetings plus any other sport on there that tickles your fancy for the entire month. And that’s without the other channels that come with it that may or may not be of interest. Now that IS value for money and makes 15 quid for one warm up filler seem a bit bonkers. 

It’s all down to personal choice at the end of the day, you can either pay it or don’t that’s not the debate. Of course the other side of the coin is BSN have to earn enough to make the stream worthwhile for them to do in the first place and I hope they made enough to at least make their efforts worthwhile. 

As a one off price I thought it was a bit steep and as a result didn't purchase it, would have done at ten-twelve quid probably. Would be interesting to see what the viewing figures are.

As has been said VFM differs from person to person and I expect BSN's costs have increased, like everything else people have a choice to purchase a product or not and its as simple as that really. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

As a one off price I thought it was a bit steep and as a result didn't purchase it, would have done at ten-twelve quid probably. Would be interesting to see what the viewing figures are.

As has been said VFM differs from person to person and I expect BSN's costs have increased, like everything else people have a choice to purchase a product or not and its as simple as that really. 

When you compare it to the £4 or £5 per meeting that the season passes represent, £10-£15 does seem a bit of a rip-off for one offs, of course we don't know what Belle Vue charged for the "rights" to stream this meeting and market forces will ultimately dictate the prices of streamed meetings. Like I said earlier my trip cost me £55, take off the £15 that this would have cost me to stream and it brings it down to £40, was it worth it? Head says no, heart says YES! Sometimes life is just more than a financial transaction.

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

I thought £15 for that was a bit daft as well to be honest so gave it a miss. Some clearly love their speedway more than I do :D  

4 minutes ago, Aries said:

That still doesn’t make it good value Dave which ever way you slice it. As you say some want to watch who just can’t get to the meeting for whatever reason so have little choice. For some 15 quid is a drop in the ocean and will think nothing of it and just pay it, none of that still makes 15 quid for a pre-season filler for two hours value for money. Some get Eurosport free with their TV packages, but a lot don’t. But you can sign up for Discovery plus on one of their cheaper packages for £6.99 a month, during the speedway season you’ll get a GP or two, and a couple of Premiership meetings plus any other sport on there that tickles your fancy for the entire month. And that’s without the other channels that come with it that may or may not be of interest. Now that IS value for money and makes 15 quid for one warm up filler seem a bit bonkers. 

It’s all down to personal choice at the end of the day, you can either pay it or don’t that’s not the debate. Of course the other side of the coin is BSN have to earn enough to make the stream worthwhile for them to do in the first place and I hope they made enough to at least make their efforts worthwhile. 

Well yes quite possibly, but in my case , to watch the meeting last night I had two options 1 travel by car at a high cost for the evening,  2 pay £15 and watch from my armchair . For me it represents good value It's not something I would do regularly but as a one off I have no complaints.

• Like 1

Just now, Dave Jones said:

Well yes quite possibly, but in my case , to watch the meeting last night I had two options 1 travel by car at a high cost for the evening,  2 pay £15 and watch from my armchair . For me it represents good value It's not something I would do regularly but as a one off I have no complaints.

Don't forget the cost of your caviar and chips for 2 :D

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, therefused said:

or just pay £70 for the year and stream whatever you want :drink:

Dodgy stuff?.no thanks.

For me, living in North London it would have meant a 180 mile drive (each way), hotel stay, entrance ticket, meal, drinks etc. so £14.99 was very good value plus the ability to watch the team I had lost touch with. I will attend the British Final; SON and hopefully a couple of bank holiday meetings (day trip) because you cannot replicate actually being their.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

29 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I thought £15 for that was a bit daft as well to be honest so gave it a miss. Some clearly love their speedway more than I do :D  

For me I compared it to the Championship meetings that are streamed, which last season were £11.99. So there is zero chance they will stream this field at the same price or cheaper with more races as well! 

I also don't think you can compare it to football streams as the demand is so much more for them so can make it cheaper and still make a profit. Maybe compare it to cinema prices at peak times then definitely a bargain! lol :D

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

7a185a2a-4857-4434-ba2a-d9944618de70-compressed.jpeg

Or possibly back wheel

• Like 1

Now we have debated the cost of streaming would anyone like to comment on what they thought about the Peter Craven memorial speedway meeting.

Very enjoyable meeting .Well done Brady great performance a well deserved win, great race in the final between Brady and Dan . Thought the new boys to the Belle vue team Ben and Connor showed great promise for the season ahead.

Got me back in the mood for speedway and now well locking forward to the new season ahead .The performances of all the Belle vue team gives me hope that the new team can make up for the forced weakening of last seasons team down to averages.

• Like 1

I'm on holiday in Australia so couldn't go - £15 was a steal for me to watch a superb meeting live with the a lot of GP riders included.

I always buy one off matches that I can't go to and never been disappointed

1 hour ago, Aries said:

Value for money can only be calculated when compared with the next best alternative. You mention the prices of Discovery & Eurosport, but they weren't showing the meeting. The only alternatives to choose from were to go to the actual meeting, watch via BSN or give it a miss. 
No doubt live speedway is (on most occasions) the best alternative for the actual experience, however, the lowest out of pocket cost for two adults to attend would have been around £50.00 whereas via  BSN it was £15.00. 
So for "value for money" comparison. The choices for 2 adults were,  a) attend the live meeting for £50.00, b)stream the event for £15.00 or indeed C)£0.00  to do neither.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, B.V 72 said:

Now we have debated the cost of streaming would anyone like to comment on what they thought about the Peter Craven memorial speedway meeting.

Very enjoyable meeting .Well done Brady great performance a well deserved win, great race in the final between Brady and Dan . Thought the new boys to the Belle vue team Ben and Connor showed great promise for the season ahead.

Got me back in the mood for speedway and now well locking forward to the new season ahead .The performances of all the Belle vue team gives me hope that the new team can make up for the forced weakening of last seasons team down to averages.

I thought it was enjoyable without being a classic, one thing I did struggle with was 7 Belle Vue riders in the meeting all wearing the same race suit and throw in Woj who was wearing something very similar it was quite difficult at time to tell who was who.

6 minutes ago, Maxi said:

I'm on holiday in Australia so couldn't go - £15 was a steal for me to watch a superb meeting live with the a lot of GP riders included.

I always buy one off matches that I can't go to and never been disappointed

You have kind of answered a question I was asking myself, in I wondered how much the stream was for people not in the UK. When you factor in things like cost of living and average income, I would suspect that £15 for somebody living and working in Poland for example would be quite a stretch.