British Speedway Forum
Triple.H.

John "Tiger" Louis R.I.P.

Keep turning left on that oval in the sky Tiger. RIP my friend...

RIP Tiger

John "Tiger" Louis was one of my first ever speedway heroes when watching in Division 2 as a youngster - when he came to visit everyone went to see him race!

And, then when I attended the 1972 World Final at Wembley where he so nearly made the rostrum - he finished joint fourth as I recall - what a night that was! Then, three years later, I was back at Wembley in 1975 to see him claim a well deserved third place in that year's World Final. Another great night.

I even had his picture, wearing those "Tiger" leathers, sellotaped to the front of my file at School - what a legend. And, many years later when I got to meet him he was great to talk to and always polite. Just a great bloke all round. They say don't meet your heroes - but I was absolutely delighted to meet that particular hero.

Condolences to all of his family and friends at this sad time - and I hope that they can take some comfort in the fact that he was so well respected in the world of speedway.

• Like 2

Very sad news...

One of the best English riders ever, and won many times, both individually and as a team man, domestically and internationally, in an era with many of the best riders who ever rode a speedway bike...

Condolences, and Best Wishes, to Chris and the rest of the Louis family...

R.I.P. "Tiger"....

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, WembleyLion said:

My all time favourite rider.

I was fortunate enough to be able to be in attendance to watch three of his finest individual achievements:-

1975 British Champion at Coventry.

1975 Third place in the World Final at Wembley after a run off with the great Ivan Mauger.

1979 Winner of the BLRC at Belle Vue following a truly memorable race with Bruce Penhall.

Tiger was a fantastic team man as well and led the Witches to back to back titles in 1975 and 1976.

A true legend of the sport.

My condolences to Chris and all the Louis family.

R.I.P. Tiger Louis!

Also former Hull, Boulevard track record holder 74.2 secs, 7 July 1971, the Tiger never worried about the Hull track being a tad narrow, squarish or bumpy, he just rode it.  I often wondered how much more he may have achieved had he been not a relative late starter in speedway at 29, as in addition to Ipswich he was also more than capable rider in the later years of his career at Halifax then King's Lynn & was still pulling on an England body colour & scoring well at WTC level in his 40's. 

Condolences to the Louis family, RIP John 'Tiger' Louis, a true England great....

Edited by martinmauger
spelling x2

Sad news indeed.  One of the very best in an era of many great riders.  Condolences to Chris and the rest of the family.  RIP Tiger.

• Like 2

An all round motor cyclist who already had a successful career in scrambling behind him before he even took up Speedway. It’s not easy to successfully make the transition from one discipline to the other but Tiger did it,  reaching the World Final within 3 years. I think he carried on successfully in Speedway till he was about 40, which was quite old to stay at the top in those days.

So, more than just a Speedway rider , a great all-rounder and a great enthusiast. A credit to the sport.

One of Englands finest, and without doubt Ipswich Witches greatest ever rider. 

In fact theirs no doubt whatsoever that the emergence of the at the time 28 year old John Louis as a Foxhall 2nd half speedway rider near the end of the 1969 season who before had never sat astride a speedway machine before, then almost unbelievable rise up to 4th in the 1972 Wembley World Final 3 years later and top level service for the Witches until his 1981 departure to Halifax moulded Ipswich into one of the hotbeds of speedway.

Johns swansong as a rider was as King's Lynn number one in 1983-84 when despite being in his 40's, well past his best and in an era when the top flight of British speedway was the strongest League in the planet he topped the teams averages in both seasons.  

R.I.P John Louis.

RIP Tiger. Thanks for the memories.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

R.I.P. John Louis one of my all time favourite British riders, thinking of his family at this sad time.

Edited by Buttons

I used to stand with him on the home straight when I came down to Ippy. Very Interesting and respectful, I enjoyed his company. RIP John. 

Posted (edited)

Very sad to hear of his passing. Condolences to his family. As mentioned, John was a latecomer to the sport, having been an accomplished scrambles rider, but soon rose throught the ranks! Amazing! RIP

Edited by Ray Stadia

Sorry to hear this news. Not just a very good rider but a brilliant racer.