British Speedway Forum
Paulco

Glasgow v Berwick BSN Cup 19/4/24@7-30

8 hours ago, Gazc said:

Was surprised that we never asked about Borke as it was clear he couldn’t get to grips with Armadale.

From memory he was very impressive at Glasgow last season and again tonight.

Berwick have won a watch getting him this season, Kemp very impressive also it was the heat leaders that let them down tonight.

With a Dane free policy for 2024, he was never an option. 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Neila said:

Referees are allowed to give extra time to riders who have 2 races on the trot or have bike issues due to incidents,  but 4 minutes between races is the new rule

012.1.3 2 Minute Time Allowance

Except when the Referee considers that there are valid reasons for delaying the start of an ensuing heat, the interval between the finish of one heat and the start of the next shall not exceed 4 minutes including the 2 minute allowance.

I'm pretty sure that 2 consecutive rides does not constitute a valid reason for delaying the start, unless the rider has damaged his bike in his previous ride or something similar , of course this does leave it open to interpretation from the ref. I have heard it announced over the PA in previous seasons that the referee has left the maximum amount of time and all riders are on 2 minutes, so I don't think it's anything new.

Edited by iainb

8 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Borke did his job as a reserve, no question about that.

You say "Ethridge lost to riders he was expected to beat" do you really think Etheridge was expected to beat Harris, Worrall or Vissing? I can't imagine anyone expecting that.

It’s not about expecting to lose  though is it.

2 hours ago, MD said:

I wouldn't expect travel expenses to be an issue, its got to be something else. Last year we were flying in Marcin, Claus and Basso. 

And who are we flying in this year? Nobody, they must be saving a fortune.

15 minutes ago, Cast1rn said:

And who are we flying in this year? Nobody, they must be saving a fortune.

They might be but if they had to fly someone in they would, and could. Its a choice.

• Like 1

"Starke was gating, but Christ there was no speed in his bike on the straights and he was having to ride defensive alllllllll night."

I don't pretend to be an expert but is that not a simple matter of selecting the correct gearing? Correct balance to be struck between fast acceleration (gating) and top speed down the straights? Surely his team captain or more-experienced riders can offer advice on the most beneficial settings for the new Ashfield track?

• Like 1

That was a good win against a a decent Berwick side.

It’s worth pondering the outcome, had Flint been available. Would he have scored as many as Vissing? Doubtful, but then again, if Complin was available, I’m confident he’d have scored more than Hagon’s four.

Starke looked slow, so credit where it’s due; his five, paid eight was an achievement.

Borke is a rider. I can’t imagine he’ll be at reserve for long. Berwick have a great talent on their hands there.

There was some great racing on show last night. Lots of passing and lots of tussling, so fair play to both sets of riders.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tapeworm said:

"Starke was gating, but Christ there was no speed in his bike on the straights and he was having to ride defensive alllllllll night."

I don't pretend to be an expert but is that not a simple matter of selecting the correct gearing? Correct balance to be struck between fast acceleration (gating) and top speed down the straights? Surely his team captain or more-experienced riders can offer advice on the most beneficial settings for the new Ashfield track?

No It’s Not quite as simple as that he did say he is bringing another engine up for next week  

• Like 3

Starkey played a huge part in the engine room last night , his track craft made sure he got into the positions he needed to be.

I have no concerns he will be fine albeit he was riding with Vissing who he was able to let clear off and only look after himself.

This will not be the case with Flint we’re he may need to protect Flint more until he gets dialled in.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, mac101 said:

No It’s Not quite as simple as that he did say he is bringing another engine up for next week  

Agree………and another of his problems seems to be the line and speed he’s using at bends 1 and 2….resulting on him tightening up and not getting his wheels in line quickly enough on exiting bend 2 and therefore scrubbing off speed. 
Also……re. his bike’s speed ……it would be interesting to see Harris have a go on it……

Edited by ragdoll64

6 minutes ago, Gazc said:

Starkey played a huge part in the engine room last night , his track craft made sure he got into the positions he needed to be.

I have no concerns he will be fine albeit he was riding with Vissing who he was able to let clear off and only look after himself.

This will not be the case with Flint we’re he may need to protect Flint more until he gets dialled in.

His last ride he team rode with sam to not leave him vulnerable to Borke keeping the score  3-3 Borke who would have maybe could have passed sam and give them a 4.2 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, mac101 said:

But, if he was gating successfully, that would suggest that there was little wrong with the power/torque being produced by that engine so a different engine might not be the solution. Perhaps ragdoll's theory about his exit technique, and speed, coming out of bends 2 and 4 reveals the real cause of a reduced speed down the straights? Again, if so, this is something with which he could be helped by a more-experienced teammate. 

SO, what happened to the football team that was in on the green ?

3 minutes ago, j2ohh said:

SO, what happened to the football team that was in on the green ?

Moved to Sepford Football Centre on Edinburgh Road.

• Thanks 1

On the gearing front, it’s correct that gearing affects the speed vs acceleration, but it’s still all relative to the performance of the engine itself.

Starke did much better last night (and nothing broke!), but he’ll be found wanting against some other opposition unless he finds more speed. But it was an improvement, which is a good start.

Claus really showed us what we’re missing - unfortunately, his average will be too high next time Leon is unavailable.

Borke has a lot of potential, but I will say, he has a lot of average races, and whilst he looks great at Ashfield (and did well on his visit to Berwick last year), he needs to show improvement at other tracks. It’ll be interesting to see his progression this year, but if he does, he’ll be a great asset for the Bandits. I do think his performances haven’t quite justified the hype just yet though.