British Speedway Forum
Shale Searcher

Do You Remember The 70's & 80's When Uk Teams Signed Unknown Foreigners? Some Good, Most Were Pants!

Cheers guys , it was a long time ago and was going by memory , was only 14 in 1973 and still went to the speedway with my dad . Remember being distraught when we dropped down a league as Jimmy Mac was my hero and it was unthinkable to me for him to be riding for anyone else but the Tigers . But I soon got used to life in division 2 especially when the likes of Mitch Shirra , Mick McKeon and Merv Janke arrived to entertain us .

I think your memory mate is pretty spot on "Paulco " to be honest sometimes i forget what day of the week it is.😀Jimmy Mac what a legend a terrific rider and he stands out for me along with Charlie Monk and Steve Lawson as my heroes of Scottish racing. Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

Me too. While obviously delighted at the (apparent) signing of Olsen, I was disappointed that Jimmy Mac was the rider to make way. Seems he was reasonably happy to leave, ironically joining the club Olsen left (Wolves), as he wanted Midlands base. Jimmy Mac was a great rider though....

• Like 1

I do remember in 84 for Reading Malc popping out the start in heat 8 and winning and beating Frank Andersen and another??I never went to Exeter in the 69/70/71/72 seasons but first went in 73 to see Autrey.It was such a shock to see as a young lad with the track shape and all the streets behind remember it well.I would imagine Ashby/Kilby would be up there with the best around the county ground even though both said they were not totally in love with the track.Holden (bless him was decent there) also Farrell and Maxfield were two i enjoyed watching.

I remember reading that Martin Ashby, wasn't keen on the move to the County Ground, and struggled early on. He approached Neil Street for advice , and the advice given was use the fence as your white line.

• Like 1

I remember reading that Martin Ashby, wasn't keen on the move to the County Ground, and struggled early on. He approached Neil Street for advice , and the advice given was use the fence as your white line.

Same with Bob Kilby...hated the idea of moving to the County Ground but he excelled around there!

On 2/2/2017 at 8:36 PM, Triple.H. said:

Late 90's early 00's Ipswich signed a young Aussie Billy Lellman ?

Came with a good reputation but didn't last long over here, probably a couple of months if that.

I certainly can't remember what points he scored if any, maybe he was homesick or didn't like the lifestyle overhere.

Billy Lellmann popped up on a Ipswich memories Facebook feed this morning, the year he briefly rode was 1990. I did a quick google to see what he scored however no information was listed. Google did bring me here hence a reply to a 6 year old topic!!

• Like 1

Slightly off topic , I started watching at Workington in the late 70,s but struggle to remember too much , apart from the smell, the speed, walking round to the wee pie hut for pie and oxo.

The sparse crowds of three to four hundred, the battering at home , happy days:)

Worky riders , the great Brian Havelock, Rob Maxfield, Andy Margarson, Mark Dickinson etc.

2 hours ago, topaz325 said:

Slightly off topic , I started watching at Workington in the late 70,s but struggle to remember too much , apart from the smell, the speed, walking round to the wee pie hut for pie and oxo.

The sparse crowds of three to four hundred, the battering at home , happy days:)

Worky riders , the great Brian Havelock, Rob Maxfield, Andy Margarson, Mark Dickinson etc.

The crowds wernt that low in the late 70s even in the worst season teamwise in 1980!

1 hour ago, geoff100 said:

The crowds wernt that low in the late 70s even in the worst season teamwise in 1980!

Yes.

8 hours ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

Billy Lellmann popped up on a Ipswich memories Facebook feed this morning, the year he briefly rode was 1990. I did a quick google to see what he scored however no information was listed. Google did bring me here hence a reply to a 6 year old topic!!

I remember Billy Lellmann riding a challenge match at Hackney and he looked pretty decent - I heard he left as he was homesick

Eastbourne had a few wonky ones in the 80's

Lars Hammerberg

Rene Christensen

Merek Kepa

Borje ring (although I liked him)

Robert Slabon

I could go on a few times..

3 hours ago, M.D said:

Lars Hammerberg

Rene Christensen

Merek Kepa

Robert Slabon

Borje Ring... doesn't sound a very exciting rider :D

3 hours ago, M.D said:

Lars Hammerberg

Rene Christensen

Merek Kepa

Robert Slabon

Eastbourne were a favourite of mine in the early 80's as they had so many...

16 hours ago, M.D said:

Lars Hammerberg

Rene Christensen

Merek Kepa

Robert Slabon

Lillebror Johansson? He rode in the same season as Hammerberg and Ring. Eastbourne had a really strong top 4 of Kennett, Moran, Preston and Woods, but unfortunately none of the Swedish imports or Dave Kennett were able to give sufficient backing.

3 hours ago, salty said:

Lillebror Johansson? He rode in the same season as Hammerberg and Ring. Eastbourne had a really strong top 4 of Kennett, Moran, Preston and Woods, but unfortunately none of the Swedish imports or Dave Kennett were able to give sufficient backing.

True, Lillebror came in mid season and did a season and a half, looked good in places.

What a top four though, GK, Kelly and Ron as a top 3...