British Speedway Forum
lucifer sam

Future Of Scunthorpe Scorpions

It's not that simple sadly. Drop prices by 33% and you need to increase your crowd by the same to make up for it. Will that happen? It's a brave promoter who trys it.

Surely you need a 50% increase, which makes your point about elasticity of demand even more compelling.

what i find strange is the poles love speedway and we probably have more of them over here than there are in Poland (sorry i had to get that one in) i cant say i have noticed any of them attending speedway why is that anyone got any thoughts? can we not tempt a few of them though the door.

Depends where in Poland they come from, speedway in Poland pretty much renationalised.

Depends where in Poland they come from, speedway in Poland pretty much renationalised.

i work with a lot of them on my shift and all they talk about is speedway but they dont go.going to have to ask the question now next shift.

i work with a lot of them on my shift and all they talk about is speedway but they dont go.going to have to ask the question now next shift.

Probably want to send any spare cash back to their Families in Poland.........................

• Like 2

Probably want to send any spare cash back to their Families in Poland.........................

Very dangerous TWK......a new can of worms may now be opening on here! :unsure:

• Like 1

You seem to be in the same circumstances as I, I worked with lots of Poles who are speedway daft yet few actually attend. Seems there`s an untapped seem of support out there, if only we can get them trackside.

Surely you need a 50% increase, which makes your point about elasticity of demand even more compelling.

Correct - it would need a 50% increase, for example:

£15 x 400 = £6000

£10 x 600 = £6000

I'm sure Rob G tried this and dropped the prices to £10 for a Rye House double-header in 2012... and the crowd didn't increase by 50%.

The prices were also dropped to £10 for the televised meeting in 2013.

I'm not sure that would be wise at the moment, though, instead of needing another 200 through the gate, we'd need over another 400 through the gate.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 1

what i find strange is the poles love speedway and we probably have more of them over here than there are in Poland (sorry i had to get that one in) i cant say i have noticed any of them attending speedway why is that anyone got any thoughts? can we not tempt a few of them though the door.

maybe they think speedway is expensive here, dunno, how many 'zlotys' would they pay in Poland,,, I know a few Poles and to say they could hold water back, is an understatement,,, but I'm not dissing them, there just a bit thrifty :)

And retire at the age of 55 probably, not that i have anything against them i know a few they are decent people.

Very dangerous TWK......a new can of worms may now be opening on here! :unsure:

The truth is dangerous sometimes Ray. :unsure: :unsure: :blink:

• Like 1

Promotors have to learn that 15 quid is too much for speedway , a tenner is the limit and a penny over that turns a lot of people away from the sport.

An unpalatable truth for all the Promoters unfortunately, hence they don't even try and deliver it...

The vicious circle of British Speedway

Problem:- Riders costs go up so they need more wages? Answer:- Charge the fans more to pay the riders more money...

Follow up Problem:- Crowds drop due to the price increase? Answer:- Charge the fans still attending more to pay for the shortfall in revenue.....

Follow up Problem:- Crowds drop even more due to the new price increase? Answer:- Charge the fans still attending even more to pay for the even larger shortfall in revenue...

Follow up Problem:- The Crowds no longer are turning up to put money into the track? Answer:- Close the track....

Never once do the Promoters ever collectively seem to sort the 'root cause' of the issues out, the only way the sport in this country can continue, never mind prosper is to make massive, radical changes away from the current malaise that allegedly passes as 'a business model'..

Rob in Scunthorpe deserves much better as he has been one of the few Promoters over the past few years who has listened to the fans and tried to deliver what they want from an evening out at the Speedway...

As others have said, especially given the great racing you see at Scunthorpe, if he cannot make it work then heaven help so many other tracks out there who do nowhere near as much as he does to 'get a crowd in'.........

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2

You seem to be in the same circumstances as I, I worked with lots of Poles who are speedway daft yet few actually attend. Seems there`s an untapped seem of support out there, if only we can get them trackside.

£15.00 quid to get in a PL match to your average Speedway loving Pole over here is bordering on 'insane'' in their eyes....

If you are used to watching two teams full of world class riders for less than half that in your own country, £15.00 to watch no world class riders wont tempt you, believe me...

Change the points limit and tweak a few rules that should do it. :lol: :lol: :wink:

Maybe we should go back to the Green Helmet cover to bring the crowds back??? :D;)

• Like 3

£15.00 quid to get in a PL match to your average Speedway loving Pole over here is bordering on 'insane'' in their eyes....

If you are used to watching two teams full of world class riders for less than half that in your own country, £15.00 to watch no world class riders wont tempt you, believe me...

Maybe we should go back to the Green Helmet cover to bring the crowds back??? :D;)

Are you winding me up Mike? :D;)

The 'Black and White' is enough to set me off. :shock: :shock: :mad: :mad:

• Like 1

Are you winding me up Mike? :D;)

The 'Black and White' is enough to set me off. :shock: :shock: :mad: :mad:

what if they said it could be 'Red and White' ??? ;)

• Like 1