British Speedway Forum
SarahLapworth

British Speedway - Dead Or Alive?

Some very interesting comments. Thank you for taking the time you share your views even if some of you don't agree with me. There is nothing like a good debate.

One aspect I forgot to add to my post was is speedway dead or alive? For now maybe its just clinging on. If you look at the current league structure and costs of British speedway you will have noticed that in the last couple of seasons most of the established tracks have decided to cut their losses and drop down to the National League. Eastbourne and now Lakeside. Tracks who found they simply could not survive in the higher tiers such as Birmingham and Plymouth. On the other hand does one see Kent or Cradley stepping up anytime soon? errmm NO! Their owners would have to have very big pockets and be financial suicidal. From what I can gather the only track that makes any money is Poole?

Will speedway in the UK be dead in the next 10 years? Very very probable! Why do I say this? Land and the need of it for housing. I actually work in the housing sector so know what I am talking about here. I'm sure unless you have been living in the deepest darkest jungles of the Congo for the past few years most of you will be aware of the housing crisis in the UK. It is a two way scenario. Firstly there is a shortage of social housing. Secondly the government in partnership with the developers want to provide more people for opportunity for people to buy new builds with schemes such as help to buy and shared ownership.

Available land is now a premium. Landowners are being asked name your price (depending on the area obviously). It's well noted Coventry will be gone shortly. But there will come a time when the land owners of all tracks close to populated area's will be tempted to bite the cherry. Think it will never happen to my team? Well take into account last weeks news that the Jockey Club want to sell off Kempton Park Racecourse. Kempton Park - one of the UK's most famous and premier racecourses! It's certainly not making a loss and attracts huge crowds to its feature meetings. However it is very close to London and the Jockey Club have been rumored to be asking £100m for the land.

Maybe in 2027 we will have an elite league with just Buxton and Mildenhall. Poole may be making money but its only a matter of time before Mr Ford accepts the millions.

What do you imagine Mr Ford owns at Poole Speedway that he can sell for millions ?

Working in the housing sector as you do you would also know about h the problems caused by piss poor planning of these developments

Schools

Doctors

Dentists

Shops

Leisure Facilities

Access

Provide them before continually letting villages become towns.

The Government and councils should be stopping buy to let housing

Low Cost housing for teachers,nurses etc to encourage them to live local to their place of work is a wonderful idea but when they sell up the greedy landlords buy so the problem doesn't get solved

Some very interesting comments. Thank you for taking the time you share your views even if some of you don't agree with me. There is nothing like a good debate.

One aspect I forgot to add to my post was is speedway dead or alive? For now maybe its just clinging on. If you look at the current league structure and costs of British speedway you will have noticed that in the last couple of seasons most of the established tracks have decided to cut their losses and drop down to the National League. Eastbourne and now Lakeside. Tracks who found they simply could not survive in the higher tiers such as Birmingham and Plymouth. On the other hand does one see Kent or Cradley stepping up anytime soon? errmm NO! Their owners would have to have very big pockets and be financial suicidal. From what I can gather the only track that makes any money is Poole?

Will speedway in the UK be dead in the next 10 years? Very very probable! Why do I say this? Land and the need of it for housing. I actually work in the housing sector so know what I am talking about here. I'm sure unless you have been living in the deepest darkest jungles of the Congo for the past few years most of you will be aware of the housing crisis in the UK. It is a two way scenario. Firstly there is a shortage of social housing. Secondly the government in partnership with the developers want to provide more people for opportunity for people to buy new builds with schemes such as help to buy and shared ownership.

Available land is now a premium. Landowners are being asked name your price (depending on the area obviously). It's well noted Coventry will be gone shortly. But there will come a time when the land owners of all tracks close to populated area's will be tempted to bite the cherry. Think it will never happen to my team? Well take into account last weeks news that the Jockey Club want to sell off Kempton Park Racecourse. Kempton Park - one of the UK's most famous and premier racecourses! It's certainly not making a loss and attracts huge crowds to its feature meetings. However it is very close to London and the Jockey Club have been rumored to be asking £100m for the land.

Maybe in 2027 we will have an elite league with just Buxton and Mildenhall. Poole may be making money but its only a matter of time before Mr Ford accepts the millions.

Indeed. Such an issue exists in Hull's surrounding area where there is literally so much spare land, one could easily run another league or two....

Speedway is not dead and will survive, but not in the form it is now. Within the sport the BSPA fancy that their sport IS something like the top end of football. That is delusional and regular crowds of around a 1,000 ( or less ) are not viable and not attractive to sponsors, There will be 8 -10 tracks running in 2028 when the centenary arrives but it will be a semi-pro setup ( or even completely amateur ) along the lines of non league football. The Hot Young Guns who are good enough in that set up will make their way to Poland to follow their dreams. As Lapworth suggests they will be in rural / just out of town locations where the demand for land for housing / industrial estates does not make it so valuable. The opportunity for real change in the UK was lost ten or fifteen years ago. But, Oh Yes a great race with two or more riders committed to passing and determined to win IS a thing of beauty to watch. It long lives in the memory!

• Like 2

Speedway is not dead and will survive, but not in the form it is now. Within the sport the BSPA fancy that their sport IS something like the top end of football. That is delusional and regular crowds of around a 1,000 ( or less ) are not viable and not attractive to sponsors, There will be 8 -10 tracks running in 2028 when the centenary arrives but it will be a semi-pro setup ( or even completely amateur ) along the lines of non league football. The Hot Young Guns who are good enough in that set up will make their way to Poland to follow their dreams. As Lapworth suggests they will be in rural / just out of town locations where the demand for land for housing / industrial estates does not make it so valuable. The opportunity for real change in the UK was lost ten or fifteen years ago. But, Oh Yes a great race with two or more riders committed to passing and determined to win IS a thing of beauty to watch. It long lives in the memory!

Having supported Oxford for 32 years it distresses me to see the situation that has developed over the last ten years at Cowley. If the site receives a stay of execution it will be very difficult re-introducing speedway as it will have to go thru' all sorts of planning decisions (I can't see the local residents allowing motor sport to be re-introduced without raising objections) however it's one major blessing that the local council appear keen for the site to be utilised...in whatever form.

We shall see and it's with pride that stuck in the window of my car is a 'Save Oxford Stadium' sticker however, living in York, that's not going to raise the profile very much...if at all!

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

If the site receives a stay of execution it will be very difficult re-introducing speedway as it will have to go thru' all sorts of planning decisions (I can't see the local residents allowing motor sport to be re-introduced without raising objections) however it's one major blessing that the local council appear keen for the site to be utilised...in whatever form

Will it need planning permission? Surely it is an established use, which does not expire when the activity discontinues?

Will it need planning permission? Surely it is an established use, which does not expire when the activity discontinues?

You may be right but I'm assuming that if speedway was to be re-introduced it would need to approved and of course that would have to be at the will of the residents. I know that when I lived in Blackbird Leys there were certain residents determined to close the speedway but the remit was always the stadium was there well before any housing...that's now changed in the respect that the stadium has remained relatively dormant (the Go Karting franchise may still be operating there?)

Interesting future but I would be surprised if no objections would be raised...considering the lack of tolerance shown by certain members of the public.

Edited by steve roberts

Speedway first of all is about 4 men 4 bikes 4 laps of full throttle mayhem.

If speedway isn't about that to you and you need big names for eg hancock, then you need to go back and rethink what speedway is actually all about. Id pretty much watch any level and enjoy it. On this forum I've came to realise that there is many speedway snobs who only want gp stars.....go and follow gp's then if thats the only calibre of rider you wish to see. Club/team speedway is the best way to get the fix with or without the big money stars.

• Like 6

I used to think we needed the top riders because what they do compared to mere mortals is incredible. However I've started to realise that I enjoy a good race regardless of standard. I'm also getting sick of the prima Donna attitude of the top riders especially the monster group so if they don't want to ride here sod em

• Like 1

Speedway first of all is about 4 men 4 bikes 4 laps of full throttle mayhem.

If speedway isn't about that to you and you need big names for eg hancock, then you need to go back and rethink what speedway is actually all about. Id pretty much watch any level and enjoy it. On this forum I've came to realise that there is many speedway snobs who only want gp stars.....go and follow gp's then if thats the only calibre of rider you wish to see. Club/team speedway is the best way to get the fix with or without the big money stars.

Agree, but only if the teams on show have credibility and the league's they are running in have integrity...

Two major and (lets face it, very basic) requirements in any team sport, but sadly requirements British Speedway finds almost impossibility in delivering through its current year on year operating model..

Thats the biggest challenge that needs sorting to move the sport forward. The level of riders on show is largely totally irrelevant when what you are watching is often nothing more than a series of heats participated in by an often random selection of riders with very little affinity or connection (if indeed any) to the actual team they represent..

Fix that first I would suggest, and then build the rest around it...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 3

My good friend Tim Allan went to Dorchester Town the other night and the attendance was around the 300 mark. Most speedway tracks attract more than that. So it won't just be speedway stadiums that are targeted for housing, but almost every other minority sport and even semi pro football.

Is it a realistic possibility that across the land a majority of our sports stadiums will in the next 10 years be bulldozed to build houses on ?

Speedway losing stadiums to housing is hardly new. West Ham, for example, was developed 50 years ago. Leicester, Scunthorpe, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Middlesbrough, Plymouth, Belle Vue - all have lost stadiums to housing, commercial or retail, yet they will all be at the tapes in 2017 (counting Redcar as Middlesbrough).

As to ones likely to close it is typical that there has been a far larger threat over Mildenhall than, for instance, Glasgow. One is the middle of nowhere, the other close to a major city centre.

I repeat (again) : there will be more speedway tracks in operation in 2017 than there were 30 years ago. True, the standard of rider is lower but there are still more. In addition, maybe you are unaware that two tracks have indeed stepped up leagues in 2017.

To suggest that in 10 years the sport will be almost dead in this country is, in my view, nonsense and, as I have said, is usually spouted by those that do not go any more.

One final point : Matt Ford doesn't own Poole Stadium. The council does.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 4

"Speedway first of all is about 4 men 4 bikes 4 laps of full throttle mayhem."

"There will be more speedway tracks in operation in 2017 than there were 30 years ago. True, the standard of rider is lower but there are still more."

I have copied the above two comments and have to agree with them 200%!

A rebrand as the first as opposed to a 'Family Sport' may help, as I have been a Cradley fan since 1959 and still hold a Season Ticket today and Speedway was NEVER sold to me as such.

Speedway teams have always come and gone as is the nature of the sport but to have more now than 30 years ago, mind you more than in 1965, is a major achievement in any sport!

Be careful for what you moan about, being a Cradley fan I have lost and regained a lot since 1959. Thank you Nigel and all at Heathens HQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discuss................................

Edited by berniev123

Is it a realistic possibility that across the land a majority of our sports stadiums will in the next 10 years be bulldozed to build houses on ?

It's also linked to the popularity of the particular sports. There's more a case for keeping a stadium if the sport being played is thriving and stadium is regularly used.

The problem with football for example, is as much the slow (and in some cases fast) decline of the lower levels and clubs folding, as grounds coming under pressure of re-development.

My good friend Tim Allan went to Dorchester Town the other night and the attendance was around the 300 mark. Most speedway tracks attract more than that. So it won't just be speedway stadiums that are targeted for housing, but almost every other minority sport and even semi pro football.

Speedway losing stadiums to housing is hardly new. West Ham, for example, was developed 50 years ago. Leicester, Scunthorpe, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Middlesbrough, Plymouth, Belle Vue - all have lost stadiums to housing, commercial or retail, yet they will all be at the tapes in 2017 (counting Redcar as Middlesbrough).

As to ones likely to close it is typical that there has been a far larger threat over Mildenhall than, for instance, Glasgow. One is the middle of nowhere, the other close to a major city centre.

I repeat (again) : there will be more speedway tracks in operation in 2017 than there were 30 years ago. True, the standard of rider is lower but there are still more. In addition, maybe you are unaware that two tracks have indeed stepped up leagues in 2017.

To suggest that in 10 years the sport will be almost dead in this country is, in my view, nonsense and, as I have said, is usually spouted by those that do not go any more.

One final point : Matt Ford doesn't own Poole Stadium. The council does.

As a frequent visitor to west ham during my misspent youth, I must point out that custom house was closed for redevelopment a mere 44 years and 8 months ago!. Like you say losing stadiums to the developer is nothing new. Bristol knowle was one of the first big venues to go at the end of 1960, quickly followed by stoke sun street, southampton, Norwich, Edinburgh meadowbank and glasgow white city by the end of the decade.