British Speedway Forum
mac101

Sky To Pull Out.

Quite simple really, Sky have been in trouble ever since vastly paying over the top for Premier League football, and having no way to recoup the additional expenditure except by raising prices to the consumer and by cutting costs. Already many sports have been dropped by Sky since the new football contract came into force. Their position has further worsened by the fact that viewer figures for football are reputed to have dropped by up to 20% this season.

As for BT it expands their domestic sports portfolio, and fits in nicely with their coverage of the GP's.

Correct, as what happened to the Ice Hockey Elite League matches, that didn't even get broadcast at key viewing times that Speedway were given, despite being played at similar times.

That's the story others are hearing too.

I think Sky threw so much at football that it is having to make cuts elsewhere.

LOTS of cuts, some behind the scenes, some not. Quite a few presenters/reporters have already got the chop. Even as a soccer fan cannot understand why they are allegedly paying Thierry Henry millions to supplement an already over-crowded football bench.

• Like 4

OK, so the feeling is BT are not good on customer service.

So to be able to watch BT Sport (GP's and seemingly Premiership speedway) how, without Sky, do I get access to all the speedway action. ???????????

I understand Eurosport will be doing the Euro speedway championship, so I need that as well.

Eurosport is in with the BT package
  • Like 2

OK, so the feeling is BT are not good on customer service.

So to be able to watch BT Sport (GP's and seemingly Premiership speedway) how, without Sky, do I get access to all the speedway action. ???????????

I understand Eurosport will be doing the Euro speedway championship, so I need that as well.

I can't argue with others experience of BT/Sky or whoever but I've just renewed (last week) with BT and am happy with the deal, also put my mobile over as part of the deal. In terms of customer service, well I've had it bad with them in the past but I can't fault them on this occasion, first class. Their CEO, Gavin Paterson has stated his intention to improve the customer 'experience' and mine was a very positive one.

If you linger on their website you will have the option to chat with an advisor, this can be beneficial as they will offer to call you, hence saving you time in a queue.

I think you mentioned internet speed, well I did have the superfast b/band last time but I've downgraded this time, it still offers up to 40mbps or similar, I've just run a test and it's running at 15mbps, which isn't too bad since it's peak time of the day. If it proves too slow in the future I'll just upgrade it again.

• Like 1

MOST likely they will pay off contract but save on production costs. Throwing all they money at football again, or so it seems.

Not sure about this Phil. If Sky pulled out and speedway suffered a significant loss of income as a result, then yes I agree they would be liable to pay up the contract. The fact that BT appear to be entering into a contract to provide coverage this season as a replacement would alter Sky's responsibility. If the contract with BT brings in less money there would be a case for Sky to make up the difference, but if the new contract is for the same or more then any compensation from Sky would mean the BSPA would be getting the money twice. Hope that makes sense.

Not sure about this Phil. If Sky pulled out and speedway suffered a significant loss of income as a result, then yes I agree they would be liable to pay up the contract. The fact that BT appear to be entering into a contract to provide coverage this season as a replacement would alter Sky's responsibility. If the contract with BT brings in less money there would be a case for Sky to make up the difference, but if the new contract is for the same or more then any compensation from Sky would mean the BSPA would be getting the money twice. Hope that makes sense.

Surely if Sky pull out of a contract they are liable for the remaining months irrespective of whether or not the BSPA can negotiate an alternative.

Surely BT are just grabbing an available option? Unless they've actually bought the rights from SKY.

PRESUMABLY to the BSPA who will distribute to Premiership tracks, most if not all of whom will have budgeted for TV money. In many cases tracks like Somerset sold sponsorship deals win the back of TV exposure so will be desperate to have BT fill the Sky void.

if that's the case I wonder if the money (2 or 3 more years on contract?) will be rolled out pro-rata or in one lump.

Probably paying over the odds for football is a factor,but it seems to me the watered down product and those in charge of Speedway are an even greater factor. As a former promoter who was a victim of BSPA mafia said to me BSPA would be unable to run a Burger Van properly.

• Like 2

For purely selfish reasons, but as others have said, this would suit me fine as I have just decided to get rid of Sky Sports (kept the most basic package) in order to keep BT Sport - even allowing for me not seeing any club speedway I decided I'd rather keep the GP's and attend a few meetings in the League myself.

So I hope this is true although you can't say its 'good' news as its indicative of the plight of the sport.

Probably paying over the odds for football is a factor,but it seems to me the watered down product and those in charge of Speedway are an even greater factor. As a former promoter who was a victim of BSPA mafia said to me BSPA would be unable to run a Burger Van properly.

Word I got was that it was totally due to the ridiculous amount of money they paid for football viewing rights and a desperate need to cut costs elsewhere.

In addition, I am pretty certain flagrag has said that in the past speedway viewing figures were comparable with the likes of rugby league and cricket, so there was no issue with that at all.

Speedway does have a watered down product, some of the meetings put on have been poor and, on occasion, the BSPA do the sport little good.

None of those, though, are the reason for this decision.

It will be interesting what will happen to Pearson and Tatum- if BT want Kelvin there shouldn't be any problems with him finishing with SKY. Nigel on the other hand has his SKY darts- so it would be i would think impossible for him to work for both companies- and before anyone says he works for BT on the GP's and SWC NO he doesn't - BT take the Gp world feed.

Edited by racers and royals

Could be an interesting move - wonder what has happened to GoSpeed as part of this? In one sense, this could be good if it means a lot of the licensing restrictions are lifted? May mean clubs can put highlights and video packages on website and even perhaps the potential of a league highlight package somewhere?

• Like 5