British Speedway Forum

the document produced was top top class, it wd have been very fishy if the decision had been different. Well done Coventry, Oxford, Worky - the sport's not dead

My husband attended this meeting and was very emotional when he passed the news to me. I then became 3 times as emotional as him. Whatever the outcome well done to all those involved in a possible return.  I'm cock-a-hoop for a positive result and will transition from an armchair supporter of speedway at to my local club.

Edited by fliss44
  • Like 8

11 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Thanks. How to you see this playing out now ?

Brandon Estates will appeal. Appeals are dealt with by Planning Inspectorate (professional planners - no democratic involvement). Meanwhile they'll submit another application (the exact nature of it will depend on the precise terms of the reasons for refusal, which they will (pretend to) address.).

Usually with a contentious site the developer will keep plodding away with appeals and new/revised applications for 5 years or more. If council don't look like buckling they'll probably offer some form of planning gain as a carrot.

• Like 3

I know I'm a little late to all this, but wow!!! I know there's a long way to go, but it's looking a lot better than we expected. A lot better than we usually get...

Good news

The danger is of course, that Brandon Estates will now sit tight for perhaps 20 years or more, knowing that it will not decrease in value. 

I'm as pleased as everyone else at the outcome of today's planning meeting and really hope that Brandon Estates get the message that they and their proposals are not wanted.

• Like 3

Congratulations to all involved in this decision- now get speedway back at Brandon stadium asap 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Haza said:

Congratulations to all involved in this decision- now get speedway back at Brandon stadium asap 

Hopefully it can be as successful as Oxford's resurrection!

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

Brandon Estates will appeal. Appeals are dealt with by Planning Inspectorate (professional planners - no democratic involvement). Meanwhile they'll submit another application (the exact nature of it will depend on the precise terms of the reasons for refusal, which they will (pretend to) address.).

Usually with a contentious site the developer will keep plodding away with appeals and new/revised applications for 5 years or more. If council don't look like buckling they'll probably offer some form of planning gain as a carrot.

Plus the potential that the Government will revise, simplify, relax planning laws to enable more developments to go ahead 

• Like 1

Congratulations to all connected with Save Coventry Stadium on this brilliant victory.

No doubt Brandon Estates will be willing to play the long game, and will continue until they get their own way, but I reckon they thought they would get their own way today....and they didn't.

Sadly I think the stadium will suffer further fires now, even if the landowners do get convicted of neglect at their upcoming trial.

But well done to all for today.  Keep up the fight.  Tony Gillias is a beast!

p.s.  In the report they said that "Nationwide Doors Ltd" were willing to help rebuild the stadium, but a check of Companies House  shows "Nationwide Doors Ltd" as a dormant company in Lancashire, so I presume this is the wrong company?   Does anyone know who this company are that are willing to help rebuild?

Congratulations on getting this decision  - I must admit to being a little surprised (pleasantly) that it was a unanimous decision 

I dipped into the stream for a few minutes to find it seemed that 3 trees were given greater regard than the stadium in the mitigation report!

Let's hope it can be seen through to getting the Bees back and also that by the time it happens there is a sport worthy of the effort to revive a great club

I must admit that after reading yesterday's story in the Telegraph "Coventry Stadium to be transformed into housing estate" I was thoroughly depressed, as it seemed to be slanted towards certain success for Brandon Estates with only minor reference to  the save it campaign.

Although I never have the chance to get down there these days, it was so much part of my growing years and youth right up until work took me away from the area in my early twenties. One of my best mates at the time lived next door to the stadium so that even in the off season I was around the stadium constantly. It was part of my life and education, it's apparently in my DNA. I could still take you to the exact spot, where we used to boo and cheer on the back straight in my school days, and to every inch of the stadium, and offices and pits. So it's a mega thank you from me to SCS &S campaigners for their incredible work to keep the place and hopes alive. Fabulous to see such a turnout at the council offices yesterday, and thanks to Rugby councillors for their diligent appraisal of the application. 

I'm very proud of the campaign to fight for Brandon !!!

Edited by jrs
  • Like 1

Well done to those involved. There's still a very long way to go yet thought. If speedway does return one day I doubt it would be inside the stadium as we know it know. It's too far gone. Surely the Main Grandstand would have to be demolished? It would cost a few million to re-instate it to its former glory and even in the final few seasons it was beginning to show it's age. 

I'll tell you how good this is. I've just had a couple of teeth out and I'm still on top of the World. :D

When you listen carefully to what the planning officer said last night to support the decision to recommend acceptance of the housing proposal, you have to wonder what planet they are from. The justification was spurious, at best. The good thing was that the council weren't buying any of it and they raised other objections as well. And the speech by Tony Gillias was heartfelt and particularly damning of the decision to recommend acceptance. And then to have the council reject the proposal, unanimously was just brilliant. 

I'm not counting my chickens yet, but this was a wonderful first step on the road back.

• Like 1