British Speedway Forum
screm

Alan Wilkinson

Reported this morning that Alan Wilkinson has passed away, below is taking from Speedway Star twitter page.

So sad to learn that Belle Vue legend Alan Wilkinson has died. A true giant of the sport in every way and a fabulous guy. Our condolences to his family and especially his wife Jea

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Alan was a great servant to Belle Vue and a brilliant team man.

Every successful side needs a Wilky

my thoughts are with his family

• Like 1

A great shame. I'd just bought his book 'from two wheels to four' a couple of day ago as well. It will make the read more poignant now.

RIP

Sad news read the book when it came out a good read , a storey about the bikes but what came across was the love of his wife for alan after his accident, i wonder if he and alan cowland will make up if they meet upstairs  lol

• Like 2

Sad news ,have just read his book last week ,great read.Certainly typical no nonsense type of rider and person.Who knows how far he would have went in sport but was certainly a great Team Person.Saw his first ever match at Newtongrange when he got a maximum riding at No 1!!!!! Nobody knew he was!!!.Condolences to his wife Jean she was his rock ,a special woman IMO.
R.I.P . Alan.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 4

I saw Alan ride at Ellesmere Port the night before the crash, putting on his usually robust performance for the Aces. The memory of a fine performance was still fresh as the awful news came in the next day. 

He deserved better. Rest in peace Alan. 

• Like 4

Very sad news...a hard but fair competitor. Always recall when the "Rebels" won at Belle Vue in 1977 Alan insisted that they take a victory parade.

RIP.

• Like 1

My first hero...

A true giant as a leader of men..

He rode in the days when it truly meant something to follow a speedway team in the UK..

But whatever it meant to follow the Aces as a passionate fan, you always felt that somehow Wilkie felt that passion even more...

Not been many like him, (if any at all)..

The incredibly positive way he handled that tragic nights legacy through the rest of his life, and the perspective with which he viewed it, should serve as an inspiration to everyone. 

Gutted tonight to be honest..

RIP Wilkie, God Bless..

• Like 4

Devastated to read this on the same day as another of my heroes, Peter Green died too.

Condolences to Jean, a special lady indeed.

RIP Wilkie, the ultimate Team Captain.

Edited by Sotonian
  • Like 3

Recall the time that Wilkie was excluded at Cowley on one occasion and proceeded to rip the tapes out of their sockets...and didn't he get a response from the fans! Great memories from a great man.

• Like 1

I was so sorry to hear this news. I did not know Alan, but what a great Rider he was.

My condolences to his family and friends.

R.I.P. + Alan.

• Like 2