British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Dandelion

Comebacks?

Will the new rules and less overseas riders mean that some older riders may make some comebacks? We've already seen Lewis Bridger and Paul Hurry return to the sport, is there any other rumoured returns? Lewis Rose? Lewis Blackbird? What are all these lads up to these days. Would be interesting to see if more Brits come back out the cobwebs and surprise a few people.

• Like 1

Well I asked Leigh Lanham a couple of weeks ago and he said no way! Very happy to stick to the chippy :t:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

James Wright making a comeback after some time away with Newcastle as is Adam Roynon.

9 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Well I asked Leigh Lanham a couple of weeks ago and he said no way! Very happy to stick to the chippy :t:

He sounds like a lad who knows his plaice....:D

Edited by mikebv
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

He sounds like a lad who knows his plaice....:D

And doesn't have a chip on his shoulder. 

Also Bjarne Pedersen back racing in the UK and Jason Crump.

Edited by topaz325

4 hours ago, RS50 said:

And doesn't have a chip on his shoulder. 

What about James Wright at reserve for Newcastle? I always thought he was batter than that... :D

20 minutes ago, prodons said:

What about James Wright at reserve for Newcastle? I always thought he was batter than that... :D

wonder if Nigel Coddington's up for a comeback?

I remember Eric Boocock making a short lived Comeback for Halifax, after a few years out of the saddle.

I remember a top old National League rider having a second half ride with few other former riders about two years after he retired  at Stoke (  instigated by Tom Owen)    ,he said he was scared to death by the end of the race and never touched a bike again . 

Edited by FAST GATER

Maybe Andrew Silver could stage a second comeback?

Seriously though, before concentrating on Dads Army, shouldn't the sport look at enticing back some younger talent that it managed to lose? The likes of Zach Wajknecht, who's still doing his stuff on grass or Jack Parkinson-Blackburn, who hopefully will be recovered from his injuries by now?

3 hours ago, cityrebel said:

I remember Eric Boocock making a short lived Comeback for Halifax, after a few years out of the saddle.

I also remember that in the early 80's. It was painful watching one of the top riders in the World at his peak, a colossus of the British league and in my opinion Halifax Dukes best ever rider scratching around at the back for a point or two. I think he averaged under 3 and had quit before the end of the season.

Leigh Lanhams right in not coming back cause he had a very good career, finishing cause he was on the wane and no one wanted him in the end.  If he came back he'd struggle to average 5.

Paul Hurry might just about eek out a 6 average and Crump will average under 8.

I remember reading something Ivan Mauger put in one of his books or an article where he said he was seriously considering a comeback on the Longtracks in the late 80's but backed away after consulting his son Kym who rightly said that you've got nothing to prove and you wouldn't be as good as before.

Hopefully the new plan for young Brits will result in more homegrown riders filling out teams and Britain becoming stronger on the International stage.

• Like 1