British Speedway Forum

Really depressing news!

When I was the Coventry correspondent for the Speedway Mail, Colin was always very amenable to the 'Press Gang' as he named us.

He traveled (cadged a lift) with myself and Wayne Roberts to a few Bees away matches and often had us in stitches, or awe, with his outrageous (but true) tales of his life as a rider. We always had to stop on the way to Eastbourne at a certain spot for an ice cream.

A really great loss to our sport in general.

RIP Pratty.

• Like 1

Sorry to read that. Someone who truly gave his whole life to the sport through thick and thin. Sincere condolences to his nearest and dearest.

Very sad news, RIP Colin. Condolences to his family and close friends.

I have 2 abiding memories of Colin Pratt, he first came to my attention when being interviewed by ITV after a Coventry vs Cradley Heath match by Gary Newbon where he was disagreeing that he should have used a tactical or something and saying his reserves cost them and he'd have to get some new ones! All in his gruff style, I think it's fair to say he wasn't a natural for TV.

The 2nd time, I was walking back to my car in the Oxford car park after a Bees defeat and Wayne Carter had scored 1 point and a fan made a comment to him as he walked by saying something like how about Mr 1 point, he cost us... Pratty then bellowed "Piss Off, alright!" at him across the car park... it was quite comical! Still makes me laugh to this day.

An undoubted "character" of the sport and another sad loss

• Like 1

Very saddened and shocked, thoughts are with the family RIP Colin

41 minutes ago, iainb said:

I have 2 abiding memories of Colin Pratt, he first came to my attention when being interviewed by ITV after a Coventry vs Cradley Heath match by Gary Newbon where he was disagreeing that he should have used a tactical or something and saying his reserves cost them and he'd have to get some new ones! All in his gruff style, I think it's fair to say he wasn't a natural for TV.

The 2nd time, I was walking back to my car in the Oxford car park after a Bees defeat and Wayne Carter had scored 1 point and a fan made a comment to him as he walked by saying something like how about Mr 1 point, he cost us... Pratty then bellowed "Piss Off, alright!" at him across the car park... it was quite comical! Still makes me laugh to this day.

An undoubted "character" of the sport and another sad loss

He would stand at the start line at Cowley shaking his head at another Hans lightening reaction start!

Got used to seeing Colin going about his business quietly at Swindon  i got him to sign a few Hackney photos a few times.He was a guy who i was quite wary of but he was ever so pleasant to speak to loved speedway and what a servant he was terrific.Along with Kilb, Broady, Wellie, Crash, ( ect) he was very approachable had time for people a real people’s person..The one thing that often gets forgotten is just how good a speedway rider he was and he had his best years still to come until injury curtailed that.RIP Colin.

• Like 1

Sad news a great servant to the sport, RIP.

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

He would stand at the start line at Cowley shaking his head at another Hans lightening reaction start!

I can’t remember seeing Colin ride in 1969 for Hackney but that was the only time i see him race Steve.The same as Ove Fundin only see him ride once in 1970 and unfortunately never got to see Bjorn Knutsson or the brilliant Peter Craven ride a real regret of mine.Thinking of Colin did he once consider coming back after those horrific injuries but was told it was to risky.? he must of worked hard to get back to that level of fitness.

• Like 1

If you'd been "selling" speedway over the past several decades, Colin would have been one of the fixtures and fittings. A stalwart by any definition.
We're worse off without you Colin. Rest in peace.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Really sad news, RIP Colin

The term 'legend' is bandied about a bit too readily these days, but Colin Pratt was a true speedway legend.  RIP Colin....

Edited by martinmauger
belated spelling

At 59 years of age, I don't consider myself "old". However, having followed speedway for 59 years, I will admit that many of my earliest memories are speedway related. It's really sad that I was not only that young, but all my heroes were that much older than me. I know it's life, but the last few years have been really hard on me as so many of these heroes have departed. Mirac, Ivan, Booey, Olle 'white boots", Pratty etc...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, chunky said:

At 59 years of age, I don't consider myself "old". However, having followed speedway for 59 years, I will admit that many of my earliest memories are speedway related. It's really sad that I was not only that young, but all my heroes were that much older than me. I know it's life, but the last few years have been really hard on me as so many of these heroes have departed. Mirac, Ivan, Booey, Olle 'white boots", Pratty etc...

It's been a dreadful couple of weeks, really upsetting, but my respect for each will survive their passing and I wish their families well in such difficult times.