British Speedway Forum
Odds On

Swindon Stadium

So many reasons for this garbage.. Quite clearly they were thinking of taking away the licence from him and now they won't be able to  with the promise of this that won't  be found out to be total crap for  about 2 years.. ..its just total bull to buy them more time to knock the stadium down and not allowed anyone else to make a genuine attempt to run speedway in Swindon .On some of the Facebook pages you got some of the Swindon fans talking about it like it was real..so so sad.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, orion said:

So many reasons for this garbage.. Quite clearly they were thinking of taking away the licence from him and now they won't be able to  with the promise of this that won't  be found out to be total crap for  about 2 years.. ..its just total bull to buy them more time to knock the stadium down and not allowed anyone else to make a genuine attempt to run speedway in Swindon .On some of the Facebook pages you got some of the Swindon fans talking about it like it was real..so so sad.

Agree,this just looks like deflection.It’s going be viable to build another Stadium,yet it’s not viable to run the Sport in aStadium that is already there.REALLY

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SSL84 said:

So. What hae been told or seen where this new track will be? Or the pie in the sky track?

Cloud Cuckoo Land...

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Ghosty said:

45 minutes from Swindon, could be Newport? Why hasn't Swindon council taken Osbourne to the cleaners.  

Because he owns the stadium and they don’t sadly 

37 minutes ago, Bluenose said:

Cheers, just read it and the comments.  Of the 15 so far a big thumbs up to poster 'Cheetos'. The Advertiser would've been better following that up as a headline investigation. 

• Thanks 1

I really don't know how to feel about that statement. The obvious, first reaction is to ask myself if I trust Clark Osbourne and Terry Russell and the obvious thought is to doubt them.

But, why would they put out a statement like this if it isn't true? Surely they wouldn't build people's hopes up like this just for their own means. Would they? Osbourne might, but would Russell? Surely he, at least, would think about how fans would feel about that.

I guess we'll have to wait and see if anything comes of it. Don't forget, after all, that land was secured for a new Reading stadium too, but it as never built.

If it happens, though, what is this "45 minutes from Swindon" thing all about? I live in Newbury. It used to take 30 minutes to get from there to Blunsdon. And Newbury is hardly Swindon. It's more Reading territory than Swindon. Add another 15 minutes on the motorway and you're at Theale roundabout - which is pretty much Tilehurst.

I will take some positives from this statement being released, but I'm far from convinced yet that anything will come of it. If it does, I hope it's east of Swindon rather than west!

13 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I really don't know how to feel about that statement. The obvious, first reaction is to ask myself if I trust Clark Osbourne and Terry Russell and the obvious thought is to doubt them.

But, why would they put out a statement like this if it isn't true? Surely they wouldn't build people's hopes up like this just for their own means. Would they? Osbourne might, but would Russell? Surely he, at least, would think about how fans would feel about that.

I guess we'll have to wait and see if anything comes of it. Don't forget, after all, that land was secured for a new Reading stadium too, but it as never built.

If it happens, though, what is this "45 minutes from Swindon" thing all about? I live in Newbury. It used to take 30 minutes to get from there to Blunsdon. And Newbury is hardly Swindon. It's more Reading territory than Swindon. Add another 15 minutes on the motorway and you're at Theale roundabout - which is pretty much Tilehurst.

I will take some positives from this statement being released, but I'm far from convinced yet that anything will come of it. If it does, I hope it's east of Swindon rather than west!

I would love to think this was positive news, but I can't help thinking that this very same Clarke Osborne was speaking in support of the housing developers at the inquiry re the planning application for Brandon Stadium  recently & was doing his best to convince the inspector that speedway had no future  should not return to the stadium & housing was the best plan .Hardly the action of someone is planning to build a new stadium on the outskirts of Swindon I would say.

4 hours ago, Grachan said:

But, why would they put out a statement like this if it isn't true? Surely they wouldn't build people's hopes up like this just for their own means. WGrach,ould they? Osbourne might, but would Russell? Surely he, at least, would think about how fans would feel about that.

Grach, if you Love speedway you will go,      Yes,     i missed Brummies for too long,   supported  Ashby Bouchard Kilby Etc in the dark years,      keep right on.

3 hours ago, Bluenose said:

Grach, if you Love speedway you will go,      Yes,     i missed Brummies for too long,   supported  Ashby Bouchard Kilby Etc in the dark years,      keep right on.

Not if it's in Cheltnham I won't. I will if it's in Theale though.

• Like 1

There is a track already, which is currently having a brand new stadium being built, actually n Swindon itself..

Maybe someone could run Speedway there? 

It has been ran in Swindon, quite successfully, for a good many decades...

Has anyone told Terry about this site as it sounds perfect...

Or, if he does know about it, and doesnt want to use it, maybe someone else would like to open up Speedway there? 

The Swindon Robins could be a name to consider for the team...

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Grachan said:

Not if it's in Cheltnham I won't. I will if it's in Theale though.

If it was Theale you could give the team a name appropriate to its location and cultural identity, such as ... Reading Racers

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

If it was Theale you could give the team a name appropriate to its location and cultural identity, such as ... Reading Racers

Exactly. I made that point earlier when I said Theale is pretty much Tilehurst.

That is why the "within 45 minutes of Swindon" thing is so bizarre.

Wait until you start seeing big trucks running up &down the M4 heavily loaded with sky hooks!!! Clarke Osbourne didn't even build with Lego as a kid