British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Period of mourning. No sport activities.

8 hours ago, topsoil said:

Total over reaction. Cancel everything the day of the funeral and a minutes silence is enough. 

Agreed. Sure even Liz would have wanted us to move on instead of cancelling everything for the next few days. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Totally ridiculous to stop everything, life goes on, the day of the funeral is quite sufficient to have a respectful day of mourning. The Queen is Dead long Live the King.

It was well known that Bet Windsor was a huge fan of speedway. 

She even decreed that the Edinburgh team were named in her honour. 

Things need to be proportionate.

The Queen loved some sports and attended many she probably didn't like but out of duty.

Maybe a moratorium until midnight on Friday and then carry on as only when Sport is allowed to take place RESPECT be evidenced like it was last night.

12 days is too much, 2 days would be sufficient in my opinion and then let all Sports show their respects in the following week.

1 minute ago, HGould said:

Things need to be proportionate.

The Queen loved some sports and attended many she probably didn't like but out of duty.

Maybe a moratorium until midnight on Friday and then carry on as only when Sport is allowed to take place RESPECT be evidenced like it was last night.

12 days is too much, 2 days would be sufficient in my opinion and then let all Sports show their respects in the following week.

Agree entirely with the additional proviso that the day of the funeral should be a clear day. (Was the 19th due to be first of Premiership play-offs?)

• Like 1

It’s been announced by the palace there will be 7 days of official mourning.

2 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

The palace can mourn for as long as they want, life for others goes on.

Don't see why there should be "mourning". Surely people would rather have their lives remembered by "celebration". 

A minute's applause before every sporting occasion would be enough, or a tribute before every match. Cancel events the day of the funeral if people want to pay respect that way. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, topsoil said:

The palace can mourn for as long as they want, life for others goes on.

Don't see why there should be "mourning". Surely people would rather have their lives remembered by "celebration". 

A minute's applause before every sporting occasion would be enough, or a tribute before every match. Cancel events the day of the funeral if people want to pay respect that way. 

i agree life goes on for the rest of us the mourning period is for seven days after the funeral for the royal family 

• Like 1

My personal opinion is no sport this weekend and the day of the funeral. 

There has to be consideration however for policing of sports events when obviously there will need to be a very large police presence in London and other places that will mean less police to cover sport. 

• Like 1

Simply do a minutes applause or something to mark respect to her then just carry on. At this rate we will get boxing day speedway 

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I believe that to be 7 days of Royal mourning from the day of the state funeral.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Star Lady said:

My personal opinion is no sport this weekend and the day of the funeral. 

There has to be consideration however for policing of sports events when obviously there will need to be a very large police presence in London and other places that will mean less police to cover sport. 

Agreed. 

It does very much depend on the sporting events in question and how high profile they are.  The bigger the event, the less likely it is to take place. For speedway, this weekend and the day of the funeral seems about right.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

I believe that to be 7 days of Royal mourning from the day of the state funeral.

all ready said that 

Horseracing (her passion) race on sunday 11, business as usual from then on bar the funeral day .

According to local BBC Radio, Middlesbrough football are awaiting the go ahead for Tuesday night against Cardiff.