British Speedway Forum
TTT

Sheffield vs. Belle Vue Grand Final 2nd Leg 13/10/22

1 hour ago, PotteringAround said:

If he isn't leaving, how are they going to fit in Bewley, Lambert, Fricke, Zagar and Kurtz next year?

There’re not. All the others are leaving! 

2 hours ago, Trevor said:

Congratulations to Belle Vue.

It's been sad to see so many moaning about the ref, she was consistent. The incidents in heat one and two, were more or less in the same place, I would have prefered all four back in both, however she choose to exclude, fair enough. She got Heat 11 right too, tough but correct. It was ungracious to see some at Sheffield in their disappointment, lash out at the official.

The issue that should be considered for the future was, the one fron the first leg. Wright was injured and BV had to go with only one rider. Surely a team down to five riders should be able to bring in a replacement on a lower average? The five one Sheffield got in Heat 14 brought it closer than it would have been. If a team went down to five in the first few heats, it would ruin it as a match with only three riders in a race.

Speaking as neutral this was also my take.  Not surprised at the score, expected it would go right to heat 15 & would be in Sheffield's favour, expected them to score better at Belle Vue then be a lot stronger at home.  Still kind 'a good result' either way I guess: Sheffield's 1st ever top league win or Belle Vue's 1st since 1993....

2 hours ago, 4thbender said:

Mikebv has put his finger on it there! As a died-in-the-wool Tigers fan for 56 years, I'm actually glad to see Belle Vue win the title, for the simple reason that it highlights the sheer hypocrisy and corruption of the ruling authorities in allowing a rider who has shunned British racing for three years in pursuit of personal treasure to suddenly turn up for three matches in the colours of a team for which he has no past or present connection and have the audacity to collect a champion's medal on the rostrum. A "ringer" by any definition. Surely the authorities will now be shamed into ensuring no such aberration will ever occur in the future.

As for the real championship, whichever team wins the Sheffield v Ipswich tie two weeks' time can hold its heads high and rightly claim to be the season's champions - an accolade won over the course of twenty matches home and away and without recourse to underhand and devious chicanery, the stench of which will always hang around this alleged Belle Vue "victory".

Absolutely spot on in your assessment,the team that finishes top should be crowned champions and do away with all of this play off nonsense.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Moranboys said:

Absolutely spot on in your assessment,the team that finishes top should be crowned champions and do away with all of this play off nonsense.

The other side of the debate though is the crowd level that attended last night...

Must have been 3000+ there and getting that many there for a non play off match, regardless of "winning the league that night" would be highly unlikely I would say..

Again. The counter augment to that is how many stay away in the weeks leading up to the play offs knowing your team are through? 

The play offs do provide for some teams the opportunity to keep their season going when, if the system wasnt used, you could have your season "over" by the end of June due to being miles behind the top team in the league.. 

I think for the theatre and publicity alone they are definitely worth doing, however, as has been said often on here, some recognition (like Super League do in RL), should be forthcoming for the team that tops the table.. 

Ideally, of course, the league being completed BEFORE the play offs...:rolleyes:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moranboys said:

Agree the team that finished top should be the league champions they have proved themselves over the season to be the best .

But I would do away with knockout cup as it is now and replace it with the playoffs you have to finish in the top 4 to qualify to be in it .

As it is now finishing 3rd and being crowned champions dos nt sit right with me 

the only stumbling block on this is that all the league matches have to be completed before the cup playoffs could take place meaning the idiot s in charge need to get there act together lol

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, r8gdp said:

Agree the team that finished top should be the league champions they have proved themselves over the season to be the best .

But I would do away with knockout cup as it is now and replace it with the playoffs you have to finish in the top 4 to qualify to be in it .

As it is now finishing 3rd and being crowned champions dos nt sit right with me 

the only stumbling block on this is that all the league matches have to be completed before the cup playoffs could take place meaning the idiot s in charge need to get there act together lol

Fans should club together and award a Premiership Top of the Table Trophy, we're the ones who want it .....

Play offs are the best addition to the speedway calendar…keeps the season alive for teams and fans whereby years ago the season could be over virtually before it began…play offs give something to aim for and guarantees a huge spectacle to end the season….the 2 matches this week were the best speedway you could see in front of packed stadiums and epic TV…a fantastic advert for the sport.

and play offs are generally accepted in all sports outside of football,..Rugby League champions are the winners at Old Trafford, Rugby Union winners are the winners at Twickenham, most sports go the play off route as it keeps the season alive and creates a top finish which is great for fans and great for TV

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bruiser said:

Play offs are the best addition to the speedway calendar…keeps the season alive for teams and fans whereby years ago the season could be over virtually before it began…play offs give something to aim for and guarantees a huge spectacle to end the season….the 2 matches this week were the best speedway you could see in front of packed stadiums and epic TV…a fantastic advert for the sport.

and play offs are generally accepted in all sports outside of football,..Rugby League champions are the winners at Old Trafford, Rugby Union winners are the winners at Twickenham, most sports go the play off route as it keeps the season alive and creates a top finish which is great for fans and great for TV

Sorry but they don’t work for me make the team that finishes top the champions and make the top 4 fight it out for the ko cup

6 minutes ago, r8gdp said:

Sorry but they don’t work for me make the team that finishes top the champions and make the top 4 fight it out for the ko cup

Not sure that the Cup has any value at all these days.

Gate 3 last night...
Heat 1 Holder 2' thanks to Brady exc.
Heat 2 S Lambert 0
Heat 3 Ellis Exc
Heat 4 Musielak 2
Heat 5 Kurtz 1' from the back.
Heat 6 Kerr 0
Heat 7 Brennan 0
Heat 8 Blodorn 0
Heat 9 Blodorn 1
Heat 10 Zagar 0
Heat 11 Sedgmen 1 thanks to Musielak exc.
Heat 12 Mountain 0
Heat 13 R Lambert 2 (thanks to Brady stopping the run of Holder - was at back)
Heat 14 Howarth 0
Heat 15 Kurtz 0

:blink:

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, comet49 said:

Something like “I feel that over the two legs decisions have gone against us”. Tatum wasn’t impressed and thought Stead would regret saying what he did.

Before that he’d said the referee had robbed them of a great heat 15, just watched again, wife had been out. There was some Comets fans there showing flags. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spin king said:

Congratulations to Belle Vue in winning the Play Off Final.

The atmosphere on the night was electric, and credit has to be given to the Aces supporters who turned out in numbers.

Its a pity the camera's did not capture the atmosphere, as I can tell you the atmosphere was there.

The Aces supporters celebrated Polish style with smoke bombs and flares, which I did not mind apart from the smell, which smelt like dog rubbish.

The referee decisions were in my opinion mostly correct after looking at the replays on the phone.

I think Belle Vue came into the meeting to simply defend the 12 point lead and frustrate the Tigers, and we were chasing the in the meeting all night.

But cannot fault our riders who put in 100% effort, but the Aces were just to good for us over the two legged final, and the signing of Robert Lambert as I suspected swung the advantage to Belle Vue.

We now move onto the League Cup Final as consolation winning silverware against Kings Lynn so we are still in with a chance of winning something.

Finally for me the Play Off's should stay, the tension and excitement that they create means they should stay.    

Brilliant and honest post from a Tigers fan. A breath of fresh air.

:t:

• Like 1

Can I bang the drum for an idea I have had some time. The team that finishes top of the league deserves recognition for that achievement. So they should be given a 'League Winners Shield', although the Play Offs should still decide the overall Champions.  It would cost little, but be consolation in a situation such as Sheffield who top the league, but fail in the Play Offs. If a team tops the league and wins the Play Offs, they get two trophies. It happens in Rugby League, and seems to not detract from the Grand Final.