British Speedway Forum
Gazc

CHAMPIONSHIP PLANS FOR ’23

2 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Problem was most track were having “free weeks” to accommodate their riders being unavailable.That needs to be addressed 

Yes, some riders were taking "holiday" breaks but even with riders being unavailable or injured our dreaded evil of guests is used which we will not get away from.

Where teams refused to ride on alternative nights because of too many riders unavailable/injured needs addressing. We all would like to see "our" team racing most weeks but know it is almost impossible & I would think this last year, throughout each week had 8+ guests in.

13 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

Yes, some riders were taking "holiday" breaks but even with riders being unavailable or injured our dreaded evil of guests is used which we will not get away from.

Where teams refused to ride on alternative nights because of too many riders unavailable/injured needs addressing. We all would like to see "our" team racing most weeks but know it is almost impossible & I would think this last year, throughout each week had 8+ guests in.

I do think the alternative racenight has to  be use more  ( I know some teams have a limit to the number of times) especially in rain off situations.Unfortunately guests will always be a necessary evil with the situation.

Edited by Fromafar

58 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

It doesn;t say 'No play-offs' as others have already pointed out!  The structure of playoffs, along with KO Cup, points limits etc will be announced after the AGM later this month.

Hopefully it will be top 4 in Champ and top 3 in Prem as it should be hard to get into. Not having teams in it who finish mid table. 

• Like 3

Anything that stops or limits guarantees has to be a positive. 

Both heat leaders on 4 figure sums and reserves on 4 point guarantees. 

A few riders are clearly not on guarantees this season who may have been in the past with a resultant improvement on consistency. 

One aspect of 2 times home and away, which I agree with 100% is what does it mean for NDL at clubs who run 2 teams. 

Some can run double headers (not popular with fans) some can't, will it make at least some Clubs pull out of NDL. 

Hopefully we get a 40 point limit a logic to run A fixtures then B fixtures with A scheduled to finish by end of June and B sometime in August. 

Icing on the cake for me would be an aggregate bonus point for A and B fixtures to keep excitement going all season. 

Maybe a points restriction to force a share out the Heat Leaders? (e.g. max 2 riders over 'x' points?)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Maybe a points restriction to force a share out the Heat Leaders? (e.g. max 2 riders over 'x' points?)

I like the continental way - graded riders a,b,c,d

whatever system is used the rich glory crazed clubs will chuck money at it

41 minutes ago, ch958 said:

I like the continental way - graded riders a,b,c,d

whatever system is used the rich glory crazed clubs will chuck money at it

Who are the “rich glory crazed clubs” that “will chuck money at it” in your view? I can only think of one for sure in each league.

24 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

Who are the “rich glory crazed clubs” that “will chuck money at it” in your view? I can only think of one for sure in each league.

I can think of 2 one splashes the cash and has an empty trophy cabinet, the other has a full cabinet !!

2 hours ago, iainb said:

I can see why they think twice home and away will extend the league programme beyond mid July/August... but they couldn't complete once home and away and 5 play off ties in one of the driest summer's on record... only in Speedway would they think this is the solution. The ONLY way it is going to work is of they get away from this ridiculous idea that rained off meetings HAVE to be restaged, they don't in Cricket, they shouldn't in Speedway

Four issues with that, 1) season ticket holders lose out of matches not restaged. 2) how do they work out the match result, clubs could cancel meetings / say track it too dangerous depending on opposition, 3) riders miss out on matches & lose money, 4) clubs like Birmingham have to race so many fixtures in rent agreement

25 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

I'm not getting involved it that discussion but I would say there's more than 1 in each league

29 minutes ago, ch958 said:

I'm not getting involved it that discussion but I would say there's more than 1 in each league

You started the discussion :blink:

32 meetings + potentially another 4 for the playoffs + whatever else they come up with.

That's not even considering those who have NL clubs.

In a country that couldn't finish a season until November 4th (not including the Jubilee Trophy). If it was the first time then you'd give BSPL a pass for being optimistic and ambitious. Seeing as it isn't, they're just plain stupid.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Four issues with that, 1) season ticket holders lose out of matches not restaged. 2) how do they work out the match result, clubs could cancel meetings / say track it too dangerous depending on opposition, 3) riders miss out on matches & lose money, 4) clubs like Birmingham have to race so many fixtures in rent agreement

1) Not really an issue, refund ticket holders, offer transfer to next year or even structure the season ticket in a different way, maybe  membership that gets you discounts etc... Cricket must have a similar issue, how do they model their season tickets?

2) 1 point each, only a Referee can call a match off while they are in attendance any call off prior is done by the SCB.

3) Riders and clubs will be more willing to get matches on

4) They run filler fixtures after the League programme to fulfil any obligations, the League must not be held up because of 1 club

3 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Problem was most track were having “free weeks” to accommodate their riders being unavailable.That needs to be addressed 

Almost impossible, we are at the bottom of the pecking order .....

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

You started the discussion :blink:

Yes but I didn't name names and I don't want the aggro if I do. I'm sure most understand what I mean