British Speedway Forum
Gazc

CHAMPIONSHIP PLANS FOR ’23

Perfectly achievable. Start the season at the beginning of April. Gives you 22 weeks until beginning of September. Key is getting the fixtures centrally managed. Might require occasional flexibility on days, but some clubs manage this already.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gazc said:

Like Workington did in 2018 you mean.

It is well-documented that what was paid to riders that season went a long way in ensuring that they couldn't sustain it.

And the bottom line it's their cash so from that respect if they want to splash it as you put it then what's the problem? Seems a few from Cumbria can't get their heads around that.

All I can say is H18TORY I can die happy knowing we won the treble!! And we will be back UTC

6 hours ago, stevehone said:

if you're thinking Poole as one of them, i don't think they splash the cash, riders go there because they know they're guaranteed to get paid

What about poaching lawson from Plymouth??

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Neila said:

I thought we were done with that myth now? Especially now Richard has explained the sequence of events. :t:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Neila said:

he did say how he lost so much money at Eastbourne and then found out one of the promoters was involved at Plymouth .. once bitten and all that

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Jaizer said:

Re the money situation. I know my club is accused and probably guilty of paying more than most and have a 2016 KO cup to show for it. It's no like football where we can go and buy 7 no.1s. we have to fit 7 guys under the same points limit as every other club, and who is considered a snip is all matter of opinion and some (most?) don't work out that way. 

The way some go on its as if successful businessmen are not welcome in British speedway 

It goes without saying, the Facennas have been brilliant for Glasgow and British Speedway but the amount of the money and equipment they’ve thrown at riders in desperation to win the league is ludicrous. 

From what I’ve heard, they’ve also been paying a certain Dane to drop his average this season…

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, JCookie said:

32 meetings + potentially another 4 for the playoffs + whatever else they come up with.

That's not even considering those who have NL clubs.

In a country that couldn't finish a season until November 4th (not including the Jubilee Trophy). If it was the first time then you'd give BSPL a pass for being optimistic and ambitious. Seeing as it isn't, they're just plain stupid.

They have thought of that..

Hence, the season starts next Monday....:D

• Haha 2

Limiting guarantees will be very hard to "self" police...

When a standard points limit was introduced, probably 30 years or so ago, riders got sponsored by various companies, (some bought off the shelf),  to make up the "huge differential" that the very top riders (who all rode here), would have had..

You only have to see how easy it is for "state owned" football clubs to get "legitimately" around FFP by having huge sponsorship from relatively unknown small, and medium sized businesses, to realise controlling it will be difficult...

Even with an independent regulator in place, which obviously Speedway doesnt have, it is hard to administer...

Fair play for trying to reduce costs, and make it a more level playing field but it will be difficult to implement...

4 hours ago, stevehone said:

he did say how he lost so much money at Eastbourne and then found out one of the promoters was involved at Plymouth .. once bitten and all that

And he was wrong

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, stevehone said:

£8K

1 hour ago, lewy said:

And he was wrong

No comment

8 hours ago, Noelinho said:

Perfectly achievable. Start the season at the beginning of April. Gives you 22 weeks until beginning of September. Key is getting the fixtures centrally managed. Might require occasional flexibility on days, but some clubs manage this already.

100%...

When "needs must", they frantically cram in match after match (due to their disorganised preceding 6 months), and teams suddenly ride on all sorts of nights...

Therefore, just have the same focus earlier on in the piece...

If Newcastle had rode there would be Championship Speedway on Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday, so plenty of scope to fit meetings in by using off nights and days that are "free"...

I am sure there are logistically some challenges with Polish lower league fixtures on Saturday's and Sunday's and track availability too in places, but if there was a cut off point earlier in the season when all meetings had to take place, and any that didnt had clear consequences for those involved depending on fault, then I am sure the season would end on time..

12 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Tbf Richard said he hadn't won a league title. 

He was probably misquoted for effect then lol

11 minutes ago, mikebv said:

100%...

When "needs must", they frantically cram in match after match (due to their disorganised preceding 6 months),  ......

I am sure there are logistically some challenges with Polish lower league fixtures on Saturday's and Sunday's and track availability too in places, but if there was a cut off point earlier in the season when all meetings had to take place, and any that didnt had clear consequences for those involved depending on fault, then I am sure the season would end on time..

I also forsee difficulty for Wednesday clubs accommodating visiting teams with Danish riders. 14 of their 22 Wednesday home dates will clash with DSL fixtures.

19 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Hopefully it will be top 4 in Champ and top 3 in Prem as it should be hard to get into. Not having teams in it who finish mid table. 

I agree, although 4th of 9 would be pretty much mid table, so top 3 in both?