British Speedway Forum
Gazc

CHAMPIONSHIP PLANS FOR ’23

5 hours ago, Arthur54 said:

Lawson approached Poole, fact and from the horses mouth 

Well he could have said "I was happy to sign for Plymouth i enjoy riding there but when Poole rang me and said we would better your Plymouth deal if you sign for us and having been not paid up by Eastbourne i needed to make up for that he couldn't refuse.  Obviously he wouldn't say that because Poole would be guilty of illegal approach and it wouldn't reflect well on him either. He was more than happy to guest for Plymouth 3 weeks into the season at scunthorpe so obviously had no reservations about being paid then.

3 minutes ago, lewy said:

Well he could have said "I was happy to sign for Plymouth i enjoy riding there but when Poole rang me and said we would better your Plymouth deal if you sign for us and having been not paid up by Eastbourne i needed to make up for that he couldn't refuse.  Obviously he wouldn't say that because Poole would be guilty of illegal approach and it wouldn't reflect well on him either. He was more than happy to guest for Plymouth 3 weeks into the season at scunthorpe so obviously had no reservations about being paid then.

Lewy, you can say what you want but I'm afraid no Poole fan is going to buy that. Richard has said his version. I have never heard Plymouth say there was an illegal approach publically. So until there is can only take his side. 

2 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Lewy, you can say what you want but I'm afraid no Poole fan is going to buy that. Richard has said his version. I have never heard Plymouth say there was an illegal approach publically. So until there is can only take his side. 

Yes you are right I can say what I like as can Richard Lawson, doesn't mean it's the truth but everyone knows riders get tapped up all the time but no one would admit it would they you would be really naive too do that especially on a podcast for the club that tapped you up. If he thought Plymouth wouldn't pay him why would he guest for them3 weeks into said season a bit hypocritical imo. 

Edited by lewy

29 minutes ago, lewy said:

Yes you are right I can say what I like as can Richard Lawson, doesn't mean it's the truth but everyone knows riders get tapped up all the time but no one would admit it would they you would be really naive too do that especially on a podcast for the club that tapped you up. If he thought Plymouth wouldn't pay him why would he guest for them,a bit hypocritical imo. 

On the pay front surely 1 meeting is a bit different from a month +worth of wages which he would have 2 ride or be banned I'm sure most would roll the dice for 1 meeting 

Lawson would have been on a fat guarantee at Lakeside and Eastbourne and presumably Plymouth. 

Poole don't pay guarantees and he's responded in great style by upping his scoring if not his average. Fair play to him. 

Hopefully the BSPL will render guarantees as history as the Sport can't afford them. 

By signing for Poole, he's also had 2 semis and 2 finals in both Cup and League Play Off (8 meetings) he wouldn't have had at Plymouth, guarantee or not, and won medals. 

Win win I'd say for him, more income and more meetings and a secure future at Poole, more meetings to help cover what he was still owed by Lakeside and Eastbourne in the past. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, HGould said:

Lawson would have been on a fat guarantee at Lakeside and Eastbourne and presumably Plymouth. 

He was on a ridiculous guarantee at Eastbourne, saying that, he never sat back and took the money, all out commitment for Eastie.

That says more about Eastbournes last management and a lot about Richard, good rider and top bloke.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, HGould said:

Poole don't pay guarantees and he's responded in great style by upping his scoring if not his average. Fair play to him. 

Hopefully the BSPL will render guarantees as history as the Sport can't afford them. 

By signing for Poole, he's also had 2 semis and 2 finals in both Cup and League Play Off (8 meetings) he wouldn't have had at Plymouth, guarantee or not, and won medals. 

Win win I'd say for him, more income and more meetings and a secure future at Poole, more meetings to help cover what he was still owed by Lakeside and Eastbourne in the past. 

Crikey!!!

2 hours ago, lewy said:

Yes you are right I can say what I like as can Richard Lawson, doesn't mean it's the truth but everyone knows riders get tapped up all the time but no one would admit it would they you would be really naive too do that especially on a podcast for the club that tapped you up. If he thought Plymouth wouldn't pay him why would he guest for them,a bit hypocritical imo. 

Just for the record PiratecastLive is a completely unofficial video and podcast  professionally produced and presented by 2 Pirate fans completely voluntarily and not part of the official club structure specifically so that any criticisms of the club can be and are aired. (Clearly its usually mostly positive). Each live episode features a guest - often a rider, but has also had Middlo, Karlito(DJ), Scotty Mitchell, and SCB referee Christina Turnbull to name a few - all of whom are asked questions from the fans in the chat room. All episodes are available to view on You-Tube or to listen to as a podcast on all platforms.

The lads intend to continue through the winter to maintain the speedway fix. Give it a try.......

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, lewy said:

Yes you are right I can say what I like as can Richard Lawson, doesn't mean it's the truth but everyone knows riders get tapped up all the time but no one would admit it would they you would be really naive too do that especially on a podcast for the club that tapped you up. If he thought Plymouth wouldn't pay him why would he guest for them3 weeks into said season a bit hypocritical imo. 

when guesting riders can dictate terms a little better .. i knew of a rider that made sure his travel was covered in full, what it actually cost, not what the standard pence per mile was.

maybe Lawson was paid X amount up front?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, stevehone said:

when guesting riders can dictate terms a little better .. i knew of a rider that made sure his travel was covered in full, what it actually cost, not what the standard pence per mile was.

maybe Lawson was paid X amount up front?

Maybe, maybe not

24 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Just for the record PiratecastLive is a completely unofficial video and podcast  professionally produced and presented by 2 Pirate fans completely voluntarily and not part of the official club structure specifically so that any criticisms of the club can be and are aired. (Clearly its usually mostly positive). Each live episode features a guest - often a rider, but has also had Middlo, Karlito(DJ), Scotty Mitchell, and SCB referee Christina Turnbull to name a few - all of whom are asked questions from the fans in the chat room. All episodes are available to view on You-Tube or to listen to as a podcast on all platforms.

The lads intend to continue through the winter to maintain the speedway fix. Give it a try.......

I know 

18 hours ago, lewy said:

Deary me,whatever he says obviously won’t be good enough for you.End off.

• Like 2

I do think it is an error to reduce Team Averages considering the Championship has lost 2 Teams from last season. 

I saw no rhyme nor reason for the rolling average to be reduced to ten meetings, which allowed imbalances galore.      It should be at least twenty matches, or even more.

I'd also like to see the original match scoring, where the home team got a bonus point if they won by more than six, reinstated.   Giving an extra point to the visitors only isn't a fair shake of the dice.

• Like 1