British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
keepturningleft

Diddy David

Diddy David Hamilton was on GB news this morning talking about the time he brought Gary Glitter to Reading in 1973, and had him drive round the track in his Rolls Royce only to be met by a chorus of booing.

Was anyone there who remembers this?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keepturningleft said:

Diddy David Hamilton was on GB news this morning talking about the time he brought Gary Glitter to Reading in 1973, and had him drive round the track in his Rolls Royce only to be met by a chorus of booing.

Yep - i certainly was. Crowd was booing because if i remember correctly it was holding up the racing. The meeting in question was against Sheffield and ended in a rare Tilehurst home defeat for the Racers.

I have to admit I thought he was a class act...the "King" of "Glam Rock". I still occasionally listen to his music now. He may be disgraced but you can't take away the impact he had on the music scene during the early/middle seventies.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I have to admit I thought he was a class act...the "King" of "Glam Rock". I still occasionally listen to his music now. He may be disgraced but you can't take away the impact he had on the music scene during the early/middle seventies.

Agree... "Another Rock and Roll Christmas" is still one of my all-time seasonal faves. I'm a little torn, but I still listen to his greatest hits.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, keepturningleft said:

I remember it well. I devoted a page to it in 'Tears and Glory'

Incidentally when he purchased a copy of the book David asked me for my autograph!

• Like 1

Just the kind of association speedway needs! Couple this with Michael Jackson being mentioned in the WSM pitch and the sport will be back in the papers quicker than you can say noncey nonceington

17 hours ago, keepturningleft said:

Even remember Diddy wearing his Racers hat on TV when introducing programmes.

My first recollection him and Speedway was when he was the announcer at Wembley following disastrous tenure of Bob Danvers Walker. I think he was responsible for a number  of TV personalities  going to Wembley at that time Ed Stewart  and whatever the name of the dancing girls were on Top of the Pops

53 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

My first recollection him and Speedway was when he was the announcer at Wembley following disastrous tenure of Bob Danvers Walker. I think he was responsible for a number  of TV personalities  going to Wembley at that time Ed Stewart  and whatever the name of the dancing girls were on Top of the Pops

Pans People

58 minutes ago, Garry1603 said:

Pans People

That's who I was thinking of.  

3 hours ago, wealdstone said:

Bob Danvers Walker, he was on 'Take Your Pick' with Michael Miles. He introduced the prizes! 

7 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

Bob Danvers Walker, he was on 'Take Your Pick' with Michael Miles. He introduced the prizes! 

.He was and did  the "yes no interlude"

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

...blimey that takes me back!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wealdstone said:

Was that not the guy who used to be on pathe news?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wealdstone said:

.He was and did  the "yes no interlude"

Was that him too? The old boy with the gong?