British Speedway Forum
Jaizer

Glasgow Vs Oxford Championship 5th May

1 hour ago, Gazc said:

2 hours ago, Beirao said:

The upset over the Berwick abandonment was down to the really poor discount given. While ithe terms are clearly laid down, they are a huge rip off and for many supporters this was the first time they have been invoked. This needs to be reviewed nationally for next year.

Leicester were determined not to race that night though the track staff felt sure they could have sorted the track. It was down to them and there was no reason for the promotion to have called the meeting off earlier in the day 

The Poole abandonment was down to the Glasgow promotion who simply didn't like the way the meeting was going and pushed for an abandonment. Possibly this was why they offered a full refund, something of a precedent that set supporter expectations which were dashed after the Berwick call off. 

Surely home fans don't need to be told of call offs until early afternoon, so you can let things ride until then to see how the weather is going to turn out.

Sadly away fans are becoming a dying breed with the non refundable costs incurred for rained off meetings. 

Home fans don't need to know until later, but isn't it better to call it early for the riders?

They might get it wrong, but at least it's decisive.

3 minutes ago, Bojangles said:

It would have to actually be raining first!

You're clearly missing the point as usual 

• Like 1

Just now, Jaizer said:

It's called a joke. Sorry if you didn't find it funny.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, tyretrax said:

You keep avoiding the question, give us your insider information.

Nah, prefer to leave you sweating on it. ;)

30 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

Look back at the rest of the thread and it should become fairly obvious.

Your miserable attempt to prove a point backfired when your ignored a poor weather forecast to travel to Scunny.Sure the riders will appreciate early call off’s these days.Riders don’t want to ride on a wet track these days.Len Silver was the master of early postponements .Think a lot of fans appreciate a early call of these days .IMO.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Things are only funny on his terms

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Beirao said:

The upset over the Berwick abandonment was down to the really poor discount given. While ithe terms are clearly laid down, they are a huge rip off and for many supporters this was the first time they have been invoked. This needs to be reviewed nationally for next year.

Leicester were determined not to race that night though the track staff felt sure they could have sorted the track. It was down to them and there was no reason for the promotion to have called the meeting off earlier in the day 

The Poole abandonment was down to the Glasgow promotion who simply didn't like the way the meeting was going and pushed for an abandonment. Possibly this was why they offered a full refund, something of a precedent that set supporter expectations which were dashed after the Berwick call off. 

Surely home fans don't need to be told of call offs until early afternoon, so you can let things ride until then to see how the weather is going to turn out.

Sadly away fans are becoming a dying breed with the non refundable costs incurred for rained off meetings. 

Quite a few home fans come from Aberdeen, Stirling, Dunoon, Musselburgh,  Greenock, hardly local for them, so early call off is helpful, although all call off's are frustrating as we all want to see some racing and fixture list is very sparse, should have been 2 home and 2 away.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Your miserable attempt to prove a point backfired when your ignored a poor weather forecast to travel to Scunny.Sure the riders will appreciate early call off’s these days.Riders don’t want to ride on a wet track these days.Len Silver was the master of early postponements .Think a lot of fans appreciate a early call of these days .IMO.

I didn't go to Scunny yesterday to prove a point to anyone.  I went because I go whenever there isn't a fixture clash with Oxford. I was also there a fortnight ago and will go around 2/3 times in June.  

When I looked at the forecast, it had around a 90% chance of taking place, but then that forecast changed at around 5,30pm, at which point the rain clearing by 6pm was replaced by a thunderstorm, which could hit Scunny or could pass it by. It hit.  That's part and parcel of following the sport. 

Scunthorpe v Oxford was called off at 8.30am in April, because the forecast was obviously hopeless, and otherwise it's a waste of everyone's time. You only had to look at the forecast. It wasn't showers that day, it was a big band of rain working its way up the country. 

On the other hand, the Glasgow v Oxford call off surprised me, because when I checked the forecast on Thursday evening, it looked fine. Yesterday, after the call off, checked it again and it still looked fine. There's no point in an early call off when the fixture so obviously could have taken place. 

Unfortunately, as I said before, and I wish it didn't, but events like yesterday badly hurt Glasgow Speedway. People stop trusting them. I've already knocked Glasgow v Scunny on the head, the day before Workington v Oxford, any other fans will make similar decisions on future meetings at Glasgow.  I would also imagine local Glasgow fans, who witnessed a nice evening last night, were left a little miffed. It's damaging and it's not good.

15 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

I didn't go to Scunny yesterday to prove a point to anyone.  I went because I go whenever there isn't a fixture clash with Oxford. I was also there a fortnight ago and will go around 2/3 times in June.  

When I looked at the forecast, it had around a 90% chance of taking place, but then that forecast changed at around 5,30pm, at which point the rain clearing by 6pm was replaced by a thunderstorm, which could hit Scunny or could pass it by. It hit.  That's part and parcel of following the sport. 

Scunthorpe v Oxford was called off at 8.30am in April, because the forecast was obviously hopeless, and otherwise it's a waste of everyone's time. You only had to look at the forecast. It wasn't showers that day, it was a big band of rain working its way up the country. 

On the other hand, the Glasgow v Oxford call off surprised me, because when I checked the forecast on Thursday evening, it looked fine. Yesterday, after the call off, checked it again and it still looked fine. There's no point in an early call off when the fixture so obviously could have taken place. 

Unfortunately, as I said before, and I wish it didn't, but events like yesterday badly hurt Glasgow Speedway. People stop trusting them. I've already knocked Glasgow v Scunny on the head, the day before Workington v Oxford, any other fans will make similar decisions on future meetings at Glasgow.  I would also imagine local Glasgow fans, who witnessed a nice evening last night, were left a little miffed. It's damaging and it's not good.

Don’t know where you get this will greatly hurt Glasgow Speedway.Speedway is down to rock bottom regarding crowd levels at most tracks.These supporters will turn up at the next Glasgow meeting.Lack of weekly fixtures is a bigger issue in the sport.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

It’s obvious this situation has caused you extreme personal torment to still be going on about it. I doubt very much though, that anyone else is as greatly concerned and I also doubt that it will have any noticeable bearing on Glasgow attendances. Time to move away from this as it’s now becoming very boring. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ragdoll64 said:

It’s obvious this situation has caused you extreme personal torment to still be going on about it. I doubt very much though, that anyone else is as greatly concerned and I also doubt that it will have any noticeable bearing on Glasgow attendances. Time to move away from this as it’s now becoming very boring. 

No torment at all.

Last time I checked this was a speedway forum and, therefore, we comment on here about speedway topics.

If my comments are causing you torment, I suggest you leave the forum. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I think Oxford should count themselves lucky that it got called off early as sometimes the track is okay and Glasgow still call it off. Who is that against again? I forget :D

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

No torment at all.

Last time I checked this was a speedway forum and, therefore, we comment on here about speedway topics.

If my comments are causing you torment, I suggest you leave the forum. 

Torment and boredom are two different things entirely…..

54 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

Yesterday was only a minor problem for Glasgow and their supporters. However a repeat of the Berwick abandonment would have caused far greater damage. Another mid meeting postponement resulting in fans having paid £32 for just 12 heats racing or if it went to heat ten then £36 for 16 races. It was a chance the promotion were right not to take.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

I think Oxford should count themselves lucky that it got called off early as sometimes the track is okay and Glasgow still call it off. Who is that against again? I forget :D

Without Basso and Vissing, that's probably what they'd have to do yesterday as well. So yeah, good job it was called off early I guess.

Edited by Bojangles