British Speedway Forum
Bald Bloke

King’s Lynn v Sheffield 01/06/23

7 hours ago, 4BM said:

Brady unfortunately built the team around riders who are his ‘mates’ and that wins you nothing, hopefully he’s beginning to see that.  You’ve got to have a ruthless streak when the team is struggling to cull riders (providing there’s replacements out there of course), can’t imagine Mark Lemon or Damien Bates not doing what’s best for the club and move riders on who aren’t performing being mates with them or not.  Speedway is and always has been a numbers game and that’s it

I keep reading this 'mates' thing and as far as I can see that relates to Pickering and Jakobsen. Let's be honest who wouldn't have had them back on their starting averages?

I think its a red herring, bottom line is that they went for a solid 1-6 like P'boro 2021 and it hasn't worked, nowhere near. For me the biggest issue is the track, nobody can gate or ride on the clay, they all looked uncomfortable the other night even though the track was 'as the riders wanted it'. A unique surface with 24/7 availability for practice should be a fortress!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

I keep reading this 'mates' thing and as far as I can see that relates to Pickering and Jakobsen. Let's be honest who wouldn't have had them back on their starting averages?

I think its a red herring, bottom line is that they went for a solid 1-6 like P'boro 2021 and it hasn't worked, nowhere near. For me the biggest issue is the track, nobody can gate or ride on the clay, they all looked uncomfortable the other night even though the track was 'as the riders wanted it'. A unique surface with 24/7 availability for practice should be a fortress!

I agree Bagpuss that for whatever reason, we just can't gate. As for riding on the 'clay', and as far as I know, other tracks use a mixture of that, it's the same for all 14-riders.
It's such a shame that racing has become so poor, when we used to be the envy of not just the other clubs in this country, but those overseas too.  But to be honest, when do you ever see anything equal to or better at places like Ipswich & Wolverhampton?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

One thing I don't get about the track is it has been clay based for many years.Even the time we was in the lower league it was clay based.The riders then,Topinka,Doolan,Mills,Harding,Oliver could all ride it successfully.Now fast forward a few years and the so called better riders can't.I just don't get why the so called lesser riders can ride different types of surface but the better riders can't.Shouldn't it be the other way around?

• Like 1

Jack Holder didn’t have any problems Thursday night, even when he missed the gate.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tellboy said:

One thing I don't get about the track is it has been clay based for many years.Even the time we was in the lower league it was clay based.The riders then,Topinka,Doolan,Mills,Harding,Oliver could all ride it successfully.Now fast forward a few years and the so called better riders can't.I just don't get why the so called lesser riders can ride different types of surface but the better riders can't.Shouldn't it be the other way around?

I'd say track time is the most obvious answer. Back in the day we'd be at home pretty much weekly from March to October plus rider's where putting in practice days, & after meeting laps too. We'd even have Topinka riding the tractor with Huggy to get the track tiptop. 

Now it's a home meeting around every 3 weeks on average, & no rider's willing to put any extra lap time in.

With how different the tracks prepared every meeting, our team are turning up just like an away team themselves, with the lack of strength in the team we'll always get run close or beaten 

33 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

Jack Holder didn’t have any problems Thursday night, even when he missed the gate.

None of the Sheffiled riders did. They all looked completely at home, even Gilkes who was worth more than his two points. 

3 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

I'd say track time is the most obvious answer. Back in the day we'd be at home pretty much weekly from March to October plus rider's where putting in practice days, & after meeting laps too. We'd even have Topinka riding the tractor with Huggy to get the track tiptop. 

Now it's a home meeting around every 3 weeks on average, & no rider's willing to put any extra lap time in.

With how different the tracks prepared every meeting, our team are turning up just like an away team themselves, with the lack of strength in the team we'll always get run close or beaten 

Huggy that’s was a man who knew how to prepare a track - didn’t he fall out with Jonathan Chapman ? And never came back 

16 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Its a good question. Something is wrong somewhere.

Dale Allitt 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tellboy said:

Different tyres? 

Gate and Go seems to be the mantra at KL, so maybe its down to the changes of tyre over the years?

Edited by mikebv

Whenever you hear the riders interviewed though they all seem to love the track. Although Scott Nicholls said on a podcast I was listening to that some riders can be scared of it. One thing's for sure that even if the riders love it that doesn't always equal great speedway racing. 

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, therefused said:

Dale Allitt 

Nail hit squarely on the head there 

6 hours ago, tellboy said:

It's been over 10 years since we dominated the 2nd tier. I'd imagine the bikes are more powerful now, with the power higher up in the rev range, possibly making it even harder to ride a grippy track  these days. Plus we don't know if the shale has changed to a degree (different supplier maybe). The starts are so important here as we all know. Just look at the previous meeting against Boro. We trapped and did the same to them as Sheffield did to us. Ideally we need a change of shale, but we ain't getting that with the bangers in town. I very much doubt if its practical to have 2 types of shale, but that would mean re laying the track   before and after every banger meeting..:blink:

With good access to the track, i'd have them practicing to try and sharpen them up a bit.. We need to do something. It's easy enough to see where our problems lie, apart from the track..

TJ starting av 6.35, up unitil now 5.14  (away 3.47)

Klindt ... 7.39 .. now so far 5.00  (away 4.75)

Freddie  5.14 but we know it was a 7;)  now on 5.41

And Josh was struggling in his 3 meetings before his injury 6.14 to  4.36 . I know it's only 3 meetings, but it shows how badly we have started  as a team this season.

I'm not saying replace them all , just highlighting the problem we have to try and solve..

Edited by Bald Bloke

17 hours ago, DizzAssStar said:

If.........If.........If.........  ?????

Yeah right ........................... IF KL had scored more they would have won............. but only IF the moon was made of green cheese!

Kerr was absolute rubbish for KL because he had become too comfortable (complacent) with his "guaranteed" team spot year in year out .............. dropping him acually woke him up!

Everyone is rubbish for Kl that's the point being made . Quite clearly you don't understand  that speedway riders get paid per point.So I doubt Kerr was comfortable when he's earning little money..Are give you another if.If brains were taxable don't expect a rebate..

35 minutes ago, orion said:

Everyone is rubbish for Kl that's the point being made . Quite clearly you don't understand  that speedway riders get paid per point.So I doubt Kerr was comfortable when he's earning little money..Are give you another if.If brains were taxable don't expect a rebate..

Not all of them...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, orion said:

Lewi had become stale at Lynn and the move did him the world of good. Its a shame being a local lad but that's sport.

• Like 1