British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Oxford v Poole 21/6/23 Championship.

It's always funny after one pumping that suddenly everything needs changing.

Same happened at Glasgow after the Redcar beating we took. When in the light of day you have to look at the opposition and agree that they had the better of you.

Steve Worral I would take as a heat leader in any team in the country. What more are they expecting from Roynon??

Noone should be worrying until after the 28th August when no more team switches will be taking place and by that time one of Poole's riders should've had a "drop in performance in July" and find themselves tidily at 6 for the playoffs ;)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

How strange to say that when there were at least a couple of hundred there and a large noisy contingent on the third bend. 

In number yes, but the intrepid visitors fro  Plymouth a few weeks ago were making more noise than your lot were for most of the evening.

But hey it's just one match and over the course of the season I'd still put my money on Poole to take the title.

Three away wins in a fortnight, top of the league, victory over fiercest rivals - these are pretty much regular events for you guys at Poole but for Oxford's fans who didn't see a wheel turned in 15 long years it is a joyful thing of unimaginable proportion. Sometimes it isn't about you.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, arnieg said:

In number yes, but the intrepid visitors fro  Plymouth a few weeks ago were making more noise than your lot were for most of the evening.

But hey it's just one match and over the course of the season I'd still put my money on Poole to take the title.

Three away wins in a fortnight, top of the league, victory over fiercest rivals - these are pretty much regular events for you guys at Poole but for Oxford's fans who didn't see a wheel turned in 15 long years it is a joyful thing of unimaginable proportion. Sometimes it isn't about you.

That’s why I thought there were only a handful as I never heard them at all not like those Plymouth fans or Redcar previously.

Poole are only noisy when they are winning.

• Haha 1

Oxford get a good comfy win last night and all they can do is moan about Poole fans not being noisy lol. 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Oxford get a good comfy win last night and all they can do is moan about Poole fans not being noisy lol. 

Personally I thought they were quite noisy (in a positive way - except for the booing) - then again, I was stood next to them! There were certainly plenty of Poole fans on the third bend.

Edited by Bojangles
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Bojangles said:

Personally I thought they were quite noisy (in a positive way - except for the booing) - then again, I was stood next to them! There were certainly plenty of Poole fans on the third bend.

Yeah, seems the other two have issues with Poole and clouding their judgement. You sound very fair with yours. 

Not like Oxford fans are ever noisy at Poole! Although they might be next time. ;)

9 hours ago, Arthur54 said:

Poole must have lost, Traçkrat has been on :rofl:

@Arthur54 thought you were ordered not to converse with me? Do as your told.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Yeah, seems the other two have issues with Poole and clouding their judgement. You sound very fair with yours. 

Not like Oxford fans are ever noisy at Poole! Although they might be next time. ;)

Of course he is he’s the original positive negative man

7 hours ago, HGould said:

Concur with all of the positive comments.

From the moment you park on the very secure car park and get on the modern coach and get dropped within a few hundred yards of the track.

Good entry points, food much improved from when I was there last year.

Massive crowd, great atmosphere, good hard racing , great work from paramedics sorting out the guy in the crowd and hope he's ok.

Poole below par and a disappointment but not to take anything away from Oxford, top 3 rode very well, especially Kerr, others chipped in, especially Atkins who is riding very confidetly and  as he says in a place where he feels valued and with senior riders mentoring him (no body better at Scott han that)

A lad I've long thought had potential - he suffered shoulder injury (not leg) at Somerset in 2019 just as he was performing better than Anders Rowe, missed a large chunk of season and ended up at mildenhall I remember in NDL. I recall going to one of 2 meetings at Plymouth in Covid year 2020 just before 2nd lock down in the September when he was outstanding against Young Lions outperforming Brennan / Edwards / Thompsons etc. 

He then did his shoulder fist NDL meeting in 2021 after winnign 2 rides and needed season off for a very serious op (like Kyle Howarth had) , obviously rusty at start of 2022 and big issue between his dad and Gary May (that goes back to 2019 I'm reliably informed and perceived lack of care by Somerset) so he left and unsettled last year.

He's clearly at home at Oxford and riding NDL giving confidence for CL, acid test will be when he moves to top 5 - if he does - but he's certainly finally fulfilling potential.

Glad to hear Brummies won but I'm told again not a great crowd, probably 400-500 mark. I've no idea how many at Oxford last night - I'd say at least 1500 may be more, and obviously when Oxford can draw crowds like that then the sky is the limit for them in terms of potential.

One match doesn't mean Poole aren't still very strong favourites at end of the season, but at least now they know they are not invincible.  

Just a great night of Speedway and a reminder of what it can be and used to be in the late 70's and early 80's.

I'll be back!

You are starting to annoy me.

Mike and Garry are both people I know well and they get on well with each other so not sure where your info is from.

39 minutes ago, weatherman said:

You are starting to annoy me.

Mike and Garry are both people I know well and they get on well with each other so not sure where your info is from.

I think he's going on alot of hear say,I know the facts as I'm sure you do,at no time did the management or promotion want Atkins to go,it was a decision made by team Atkins, if Atkins had stayed he would have got alot more rides as gilkes got injured and missed the rest of the season,personally I think it was the right move for all parties involved, will be interesting if Atkins gets promoted to the main body of the team and possibly struggles and is replaced by a reserve he may spit his dummy again or he might thrive,he's definitely got ability but he's a confidence rider. By the way Ben Trigger, 17yrs old,2pt reserve beat Atkins in a 2 man race at Plymouth. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, lewy said:

I think he's going on alot of hear say,I know the facts as I'm sure you do,at no time did the management or promotion want Atkins to go,it was a decision made by team Atkins, if Atkins had stayed he would have got alot more rides as gilkes got injured and missed the rest of the season,personally I think it was the right move for all parties involved, will be interesting if Atkins gets promoted to the main body of the team and possibly struggles and is replaced by a reserve he may spit his dummy again or he might thrive,he's definitely got ability but he's a confidence rider. By the way Ben Trigger, 17yrs old,2pt reserve beat Atkins in a 2 man race at Plymouth. 

Good post except for the last sentence 

Ben Trigger is a good little rider, but because he beat Henry Atkins in one race doesn't make him the new Bartosz Zmarzlik.

We should be encouraging all the young British riders not playing them off against each other.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Triple.H. said:

Ben Trigger is a good little rider, but because he beat Henry Atkins in one race doesn't make him the new Bartosz Zmarzlik.

We should be encouraging all the young British riders not playing them off against each other.

Fair comment, I was just pointing out that a reserve who doesn't always get more than 3 rides can still learn and progress under Garry May's management. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Triple.H. said:

And also having some realism when judging their capability..

The likes of Screen, Louis, Loram, Woffy, Lambert and Bewley we HL's in the top league within a couple of seasons racing, and for a few of those riders, the top league was full of the very best..

If the current crop of youngsters reach HL level in the Championship it will be good for the sport, as the more spaces getting filled by UK riders the better..

We seem to see any young talent who appears better than his peers as some sort of potential world beater...

Generational talents are, by definition, few and far between...

Just let the lads progress, create loads of ring fenced riding opportunities for them in the 2nd tier, and see where they end up..

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, mikebv said:

And also having some realism when judging their capability..

The likes of Screen, Louis, Loram, Woffy, Lambert and Bewley we HL's in the top league within a couple of seasons racing, and for a few of those riders, the top league was full of the very best..

If the current crop of youngsters reach HL level in the Championship it will be good for the sport, as the more spaces getting filled by UK riders the better..

We seem to see any young talent who appears better than his peers as some sort of potential world beater...

Generational talents are, by definition, few and far between...

Just let the lads progress, create loads of ring fenced riding opportunities for them in the 2nd tier, and see where they end up..

I agree these riders would benefit from improving in our leagues rather than heading overseas in Micky mouse international tournaments invented often to the detriment of domestic racing before they are able to hold there own in our lower leagues

1 hour ago, Toady said:

I agree these riders would benefit from improving in our leagues rather than heading overseas in Micky mouse international tournaments invented often to the detriment of domestic racing before they are able to hold there own in our lower leagues

All tournaments are invented. Riding abroad broadens a rider's experience and is generally beneficial.

• Like 2