British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Latvian GP Riga Saturday 12th August

Anyone else enjoy Whizzercam tonight?  Bloody marvellous. Who needs drones when you have Whizzercam? 

They are starting to get boring, that line hadn't worked in two meetings! 9/1 on Freddie made it even more galling

ridiculous decision from Woffy to start half a yard away from the tapes, only he knows what was going on there. 

Edited by DJC

When the very top riders in the world are gathered together there are only a few tracks in existence that will allow them to perform at their very best. Riga, unfortunately was not one of them. Get 4 top riders all bunched together going into the 1st corner after a start is crazy when the track is not good. Last night amplified that. Organisers would have known that track surface at Riga was not the best and would cause problems, whether or not the under 21 team championship was the day before.  I know the organisers are trying to use a variety of countries to hold these prestigious GP events, but that has to be weighed against the doubtful benefit if the track doesn’t give good racing. The riders are very willing to give their best, that is obvious, what they need is tracks that will facilitate their willingness to the full, nothing less. Long narrow straights, tight bends with no or little banking, plus a dubious surface and you are inviting poor world class races. The excitement really was not there last night. Any spectator who travelled many miles/hours to a beautiful city like Riga to be dished up what was on last night certainly deserve better. Who could blame them if they didn’t return. Certainly encourage countries to put on a show, but just ensure they have all the backing to put on a show with the very top riders. It was lacking last night.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, OveFundinFan said:

When the very top riders in the world are gathered together there are only a few tracks in existence that will allow them to perform at their very best. Riga, unfortunately was not one of them. Get 4 top riders all bunched together going into the 1st corner after a start is crazy when the track is not good. Last night amplified that. Organisers would have known that track surface at Riga was not the best and would cause problems, whether or not the under 21 team championship was the day before.  I know the organisers are trying to use a variety of countries to hold these prestigious GP events, but that has to be weighed against the doubtful benefit if the track doesn’t give good racing. The riders are very willing to give their best, that is obvious, what they need is tracks that will facilitate their willingness to the full, nothing less. Long narrow straights, tight bends with no or little banking, plus a dubious surface and you are inviting poor world class races. The excitement really was not there last night. Any spectator who travelled many miles/hours to a beautiful city like Riga to be dished up what was on last night certainly deserve better. Who could blame them if they didn’t return. Certainly encourage countries to put on a show, but just ensure they have all the backing to put on a show with the very top riders. It was lacking last night.

The fans got to see plenty of Phil Morris though..

What more do people want for crying out loud...? 

Risking his life, race directing, for our entertainment.... 

Who could not help but be enthralled watching him in action with his wonderful catchphrase...

"Do you need methanol?"..

And as for his raking skills.?

Worth the admission alone just to see him rake that two yard patch of track...

It's not all about those GP riders you know..

Some people need to open their minds..

Cannot await to see Phil race direct in Cardiff.;):D.

• Haha 7

The vast majority of decent tracks are in Poland  a few in Denmark  plus the NSS ,Cardiff is what it is ( imo the Monaco of s/way )  but they try to give other country's a go .That said last nights should be the last one staged there IMO ,I think we were lucky that there were not more serious accidents .

With regard to the series being boring I have said before if you take Bart( IMO already one of the greatest  riders the sport has ever seen ) out of the equation the rest are fairly well matched.

If he would dominate the same  with the Russians in is academic IMO he is a better rider than a couple of years ago particularly in the GP's and could still get better yet not good news for the rest  , I thought he would have had a lean night last night and the other's would have closed the gap it was not to be . 

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

Who could not help but be enthralled watching him in action with his wonderful catchphrase...

I must admit I was fed up of the amount of time spent focussed on Morris it was like one of those  fly on the wall documentaries " a day in the life of a pale stale male" not a s/way GP ,hopefully they will try to pad out  the next GP better !

Edited by FAST GATER

10 hours ago, Hawk127 said:

No everyone is entitled to an opinion but your inability to read the response is clearly a problem for you. I said in brief without writing war and peace, if it was not suitable to be used in the race, or to put it simply, damaged beyond being safely used in the restart of the race. What more do you want in an explanation. On that note I give up and will go and watch paint dry as it is clearly a better option rather than continue to responding to the clap trap from a demented subscriber who clearly has limited intelligence and little to add to any debate. 

Being a demented subscriber with limited intelligence, I’m unable to understand your argument. Could you expand please, to help limit my dementia and increase my intelligence? TIA

10 hours ago, Falubaz said:

Prove it? Emil was allowed into GP for many years. Never got championship. Please describe it how he is virtually a WC?

9 hours ago, Falubaz said:

Most GP is boring. What isn't boring according to You? A Brit winning and You wouldn't mention boringness?

I don't expect Emil or Artem to come back next year and win it but they might give Zmarzlik something to think about at least. He is so much better than anyone else that the series is a bit boring, there is no jeopardy. I'd say the same if he was British, Danish or Outer Mongolian. 

5 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

I don't expect Emil or Artem to come back next year and win it but they might give Zmarzlik something to think about at least. He is so much better than anyone else that the series is a bit boring, there is no jeopardy. I'd say the same if he was British, Danish or Outer Mongolian. 

Speculations... fairy tales... leave those to book writers. How do You know RuZZians would do good in the series? How do You know they wouldn't fail like Woffinden or Lambert (who some Brits said gonna be a Champion soon)?

4 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

The excitement really was not there last night. Any spectator who travelled many miles/hours to a beautiful city like Riga to be dished up what was on last night certainly deserve better. Who could blame them if they didn’t return. Certainly encourage countries to put on a show, but just ensure they have all the backing to put on a show with the very top riders. It was lacking last night.

I was there. No one at the track was bored. The first half of the meeting was really good, although it did tail off in the second half of the meeting. It certainly wasn't the worst SGP meeting of the year.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Falubaz said:

Speculations... fairy tales... leave those to book writers. How do You know RuZZians would do good in the series? How do You know they wouldn't fail like Woffinden or Lambert (who some Brits said gonna be a Champion soon)?

Why are you so defensive about it? Very odd behaviour….

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

I quite like watching him going about his business to be honest but then I am unusual. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Noelinho said:

I was there. No one at the track was bored. The first half of the meeting was really good, although it did tail off in the second half of the meeting. It certainly wasn't the worst SGP meeting of the year.

Show me where I used the word "bored" or "boring".  Yes I stated or inferred it lacked excitement and the track didn't allow the racers to show off the best they can do, and I stand by that.

Watched it on catch up & I have some serious questions. 

1. How much of Polish money goes in to the series?

2. Are rider's instructed to not foul Zmarzlik? 

The final was shocking, it looked fixed to me. Lindgren would have 100% rode anyone else to the fence in that heat, I was absolutely stunned to see him actually move out of Zmarzlik's way. That was NOT the usual Lindgren, going for the win. 

What on earth is going on? 

Why is nobody pressurising this guy when they do it with everyone else. 

The whole field just lets Zmarzlik do what he wants, it's becoming a farce imo. 

Anyone not able to find the speedway on the Discovery App... thing I do is search for where the meeting being held. Eg Riga. Then goto sports when the search has finished. Last night gave the gp and son2 aswell as the pitcams :t:

• Like 1