British Speedway Forum
a4poster

UK Speedway in Turmoil?

Oh for a John Berry type 'supremo' who could bash a few heads together for the common good. 

I think it needs someone to take control with the clubs falling in line with him / her. Who it could be I've no idea sadly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Garry1603 said:

Oh for a John Berry type 'supremo' who could bash a few heads together for the common good. 

I think it needs someone to take control with the clubs falling in line with him / her. Who it could be I've no idea sadly.

An opportunity missed in my opinion when his name was put forward. Not everyone's cup of tea but he would have certainly made things happen.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Garry1603 said:

It needs someone not currently involved in the sport. It needs a complete breakaway from the existing bodies (like the darts split) and it needs to think outside the speedway-as-a-team- sport concept.

It's not going to happen. British speedway is on life support and has a few more years left. Like so many things in this country, it's a victim of short term thinking and a failure to invest. It's failed to invest in developing its own talent, importing ready made riders. With costs rising the already not very sustainable business is now dead.  

• Like 2

Speedway in GB needs a total revamp.It’s really just like a Circus Act nowadays , same riders appearing at your track weekly riding for different Teams.( even your own some weeks).One main league ,riders committed to riding in GB(no GP stars taking all the money out the sport).NDL riders as reserves or even in the Team if necessary.No guests except for injury to No1.The standard will drop the racing will not suffer IMO with riders of the same standard racing each other more often than present day (Premiership is 2 standards in 1 Team).Rearranging fixtures will become more easy.Teams riding on what night suits the Club.It just cant go on like this if it too survive.(hard hat on).

ps
the NDL proves you only need riders of the same standard to provide entertaining racing.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 4

On 7/9/2023 at 7:12 AM, ch958 said:

if thats what you take from it, fine. My point was and is that the 'progress' in machinery means nowt to fans and merely adds huge costs that the sport cannot afford. It certainly adds nothing to the racing. 

Apart from the Ridge 4 valve there were several innovations back in the day that disappeared then made a comeback such as leading link forks.

13 hours ago, truthsayer said:

It needs someone not currently involved in the sport. It needs a complete breakaway from the existing bodies (like the darts split) and it needs to think outside the speedway-as-a-team- sport concept.

It's not going to happen. British speedway is on life support and has a few more years left. Like so many things in this country, it's a victim of short term thinking and a failure to invest. It's failed to invest in developing its own talent, importing ready made riders. With costs rising the already not very sustainable business is now dead.  

I would have to disagree a bit with you there. Unless you mean someone who has been involved in Motorsport in general. In the early 2000's there was a chap called Adam Crozier who for some unknown reason all the big companies were all over. He was a disaster at the FA then f*cked up the Post Office and then ITV hired him! So sometimes it doesn't pay to hire an outsider.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, JamesHarris said:

I would have to disagree a bit with you there. Unless you mean someone who has been involved in Motorsport in general. In the early 2000's there was a chap called Adam Crozier who for some unknown reason all the big companies were all over. He was a disaster at the FA then f*cked up the Post Office and then ITV hired him! So sometimes it doesn't pay to hire an outsider.  

No one involved in speedway at present has the funds to make it happen, even if they did have the vision.

It needs a proven sports promoter with deep pockets and a thick contacts book. It needs someone who can transfer what's working in boxing/darts/snooker and use it to reinvent speedway. It's not about finding a random CEO, it's finding an entrepreneur who can bring in the right people and create a new sport. Not a group, not a broadcaster, but a real sports promotor who gets modern sports.

It won't happen, because the numbers can never stack up, but that's what would need to happen for the sport to have a fighting chance.

• Like 2

On 8/11/2023 at 10:16 PM, truthsayer said:

No one involved in speedway at present has the funds to make it happen, even if they did have the vision.

It needs a proven sports promoter with deep pockets and a thick contacts book. It needs someone who can transfer what's working in boxing/darts/snooker and use it to reinvent speedway. It's not about finding a random CEO, it's finding an entrepreneur who can bring in the right people and create a new sport. Not a group, not a broadcaster, but a real sports promotor who gets modern sports.

It won't happen, because the numbers can never stack up, but that's what would need to happen for the sport to have a fighting chance.

To have any fighting chance it must ensure its competitions become relevant...

And to do that means giving them credibility, integrity, and some kudos for winning..

Currently none of the above 3 key elements apply, meaning nothing else anyone does will sort it's current struggles..

• Like 8

19 hours ago, mikebv said:

To have any fighting chance it must ensure its competitions become relevant...

To be fair they have done this... The Jubilee Trophy, that was very relevant and really captured the zeitgeist.

:D

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, iainb said:

To be fair they have done this... The Jubilee Trophy, that was very relevant and really captured the zeitgeist.

:D

Must have missed that one...

Sounds a great idea...

Who won it? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Probably needs a total revamp.

The bull...te fours made up of three riders and Mr R/R with each team facing each other ten times during the season. The U.K. Pairs will be re-introduced however to avoid doubling up second strings and mechanics will only be  allowed to compete.

The British Championship to be held over four rounds with each team in the top league required to track their number one rider. All meetings will be held on Sundays during August with the final to be on the 5th November.  The league meetings to be held only in September and October with the play offs to take place the following March to give teams time to regroup.  

New governing body to take over the running of the sport, the Women’s Institute will hold their annual conference on the first Friday of each month. Finally all riders must revert to Jap and Jawa engines.

All of the forgoing should fix British Speedway’s problems.

On 8/1/2023 at 8:17 PM, steve roberts said:

Something that John Berry questioned in one of his books.

Make the tracks out of rubber and the tyres out of shale. Job done. :cheers:

• Haha 2

I think it’s safe to say the answer to this question is a resounding ”yes” and I take no pleasure in typing that.

I attended religiously for over 10 years; travelling up and down the country, from Berwick to Poole and Belle Vue to Oxford, but a combination of work commitments and a notable decline in many aspects of the sport in the UK meant I was unable to commit.

What I‘ve returned to (I’ve started watching on TV, BSN and will be in attendance at Ashfield on Friday) is wild.

How on earth does the Elite League have only seven teams in it? That isn’t a league, that’s the group stage of a cup. It’s been renamed, though, I see.

I watched the CLRC and Wolves versus Sheffield meeting on TNT, both of which involved referee’s failing to apply the rules. I want to stress that Charles Wright’s ride in the re-run of the final was what speedway is all about, but he should not have been there; he single-handedly caused the stoppage. Then, at Monmore Green, the referee’s failure to implement the rules around moving at the start line caused Sam Masters to raise the topic on live TV. These are basic rules.

Regarding the CLRC, that line-up was a disgrace. The PLRC used to be a highlight of mine, going as far back as Bradford’s Odsal Stadium. I don’t even know where to start with with it. I’m a fan who’s trying to return, but is being left disillusioned.

Craig Cook is a rider I admire greatly, but his conduct in the CLRC was unacceptable. He was a notable name in a depleted line-up, but gave-up in his first ride, then withdrew because he ”didn’t have a bike”. Who is holding him accountable to the fans who pay good money to watch him?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheWellBehavedWorrall said:

I think it’s safe to say the answer to this question is a resounding ”yes” and I take no pleasure in typing that.

I attended religiously for over 10 years; travelling up and down the country, from Berwick to Poole and Belle Vue to Oxford, but a combination of work commitments and a notable decline in many aspects of the sport in the UK meant I was unable to commit.

What I‘ve returned to (I’ve started watching on TV, BSN and will be in attendance at Ashfield on Friday) is wild.

How on earth does the Elite League have only seven teams in it? That isn’t a league, that’s the group stage of a cup. It’s been renamed, though, I see.

I watched the CLRC and Wolves versus Sheffield meeting on TNT, both of which involved referee’s failing to apply the rules. I want to stress that Charles Wright’s ride in the re-run of the final was what speedway is all about, but he should not have been there; he single-handedly caused the stoppage. Then, at Monmore Green, the referee’s failure to implement the rules around moving at the start line caused Sam Masters to raise the topic on live TV. These are basic rules.

Regarding the CLRC, that line-up was a disgrace. The PLRC used to be a highlight of mine, going as far back as Bradford’s Odsal Stadium. I don’t even know where to start with with it. I’m a fan who’s trying to return, but is being left disillusioned.

Craig Cook is a rider I admire greatly, but his conduct in the CLRC was unacceptable. He was a notable name in a depleted line-up, but gave-up in his first ride, then withdrew because he ”didn’t have a bike”. Who is holding him accountable to the fans who pay good money to watch him?

You are going through exactly what I went through. I came back last season after about six years out. I couldn't believe the difference and what people now put up with. I've resided myself to just enjoying the racing and my team rather than try and get my head into it. Teams have just vanished! With absolutely no rumbles of life to get them going again.. it's tragic.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Deano said:

You are going through exactly what I went through. I came back last season after about six years out. I couldn't believe the difference and what people now put up with. I've resided myself to just enjoying the racing and my team rather than try and get my head into it. Teams have just vanished! With absolutely no rumbles of life to get them going again.. it's tragic.

It’s incredible. It’s difficult to avoid coming across negative, but at the same time, failing to do so is burying your head in the sand and that has gross consequences for speedway in the UK.

There are so many things I’ve noticed, like the volume of heats involving a retirement or the fact that it’s difficult to distinguish between an Elite League line-up and a Premier League line-up (I refuse to acknowledge the Premiership and Championship name change, given the deeper issues), never mind a heat leader and a two or a four.

Also, I’m about to start calling the sport “Premier Inn” because of the number of guests. It’s every single meeting.

Edited by TheWellBehavedWorrall
  • Like 1