British Speedway Forum
Bojangles

Oxford vs Glasgow - Champ - 19/7

7 hours ago, Grachan said:

Watched this on BSN. Why is speedway always more entertaining on BSN than it is on Eurosport? I enjoyed the coverage despite the delays. On Eurosport I've often lost the will to live after about 5 heats.

Oxford also looked nice on the telly. The pits on the back straight works well in that context. Nice to see Oxford have a scoreboard up on the back straight too. It's a major bugbear of mine that so many stadiums don't have that. I might even be tempted to pay Cowley a visit this year now.

One moment Lee Complin is the brightest prospect in British speedway - the next, he's a veteran struggling at reserve. Where did my life go?

For me there are a few main reasons BSN is a more entertaining watch 

The main one is the pace of the meeting, Eurosport/Phil Morris control that for there meetings and it drags it out something chronic there is no need for a speedway meeting to be a 2.5hr affair from start to finish unless there is an incident. Whereas BSN have no control over this and just cover the meeting as it goes so it flows so much better and keeps you involved. 

2nd is the BSN has more characters in their coverage, while I think Scott does a fantastic job on Eurosport he is perhaps a bit more polished than a Greg Blair or Adam Roynon type but those guys can be themselves a bit more on bsn than the presenters on Eurosport can I’d say 

lastly while bsn do cover premiership the majority is still Championship and for my money that is a far more entertaining league.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, gmuncie said:

For me there are a few main reasons BSN is a more entertaining watch 

The main one is the pace of the meeting, Eurosport/Phil Morris control that for there meetings and it drags it out something chronic there is no need for a speedway meeting to be a 2.5hr affair from start to finish unless there is an incident. Whereas BSN have no control over this and just cover the meeting as it goes so it flows so much better and keeps you involved. 

2nd is the BSN has more characters in their coverage, while I think Scott does a fantastic job on Eurosport he is perhaps a bit more polished than a Greg Blair or Adam Roynon type but those guys can be themselves a bit more on bsn than the presenters on Eurosport can I’d say 

lastly while bsn do cover premiership the majority is still Championship and for my money that is a far more entertaining league.

Purely down to better tracks IMO. The Premiership has Belle Vue and that's about it in terms of decent circuits, the Championship has one or two duds but the rest are either good or very good. 

2 hours ago, auntie doris said:

Last home league match August 2nd v Scunthorpe. Saw there are a few Chargers matches next month as well.

I'm guessing Plymouth will be on 16th or 23rd of August with Workington or Bullets moving to 30 Aug (NDL has later cut-off date)

4 hours ago, auntie doris said:

A winning side generates good crowds, I remember at Swindon in 2017, near bottom with miserable looking crowds of around 1000, until they signed Musielak. Then went on 17 match winning run and won the league with happy, smiley crowds of over 3000, totally different atmosphere at the Abbey. The Ox are in the enviable position that millions live within 50 miles, including half of London! Meet quite a few peeps from Oxfordshire in my job, a few used to go in the old days of Nielsen and Pander etc when they were top team in country. Remains to be seen if they move back into top league to replace teams that are dropping out?

What about 2019 when they signed Rasser on the new circuit happy days

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MartinBSN said:

The rule book states this so every track has it secured to the fence behind. Not much good when the fence behind is destroyed too though!

It’s probably worth remembering also that three bikes hit the fence at once, in different places. That’s a lot of force spread out over a much wider area than one guy sliding in. The force of impact has to go somewhere, and if nothing moves at all, that just means all the force has gone straight into the bikes and riders, which would be far worse.

2 hours ago, Noelinho said:

Yeah, Scott's really got it sorted this year, something's clicking that had been missing for a bit. It's great to see him doing well.

Certainly is! A couple of years ago I thought he'd be going out similar to Anderson is now but he has proved me wrong and has bounced back. He certainly could do a job in the Premiership if he wasn't doing his role with Eurosport a job as he showed with Wolves when Becker was injured and how many times this season has he come from the back to give Oxford a result in heat 13/15 this year.

Apologies if it has been mentioned on here but did I hear that he would be present for Oxford in the away meeting against Redcar which clashes with his Eurosport World Cup coverage?

2 minutes ago, Colinspeedway said:

Certainly is! A couple of years ago I thought he'd be going out similar to Anderson is now but he has proved me wrong and has bounced back. He certainly could do a job in the Premiership if he wasn't doing his role with Eurosport a job as he showed with Wolves when Becker was injured and how many times this season has he come from the back to give Oxford a result in heat 13/15 this year.

Apologies if it has been mentioned on here but did I hear that he would be present for Oxford in the away meeting against Redcar which clashes with his Eurosport World Cup coverage?

Yes was mentioned a few times that he’s committed to riding for Oxford at Redcar

• Like 1

6 hours ago, arnieg said:

The thing that has really made my visits to Oxford a pure pleasure is the atmosphere - packed crowd, huge waves of emotion as the drama unfolds. Like you I'm a fan of local rivals through and through (Racers rather than Robins) but it is impossible not to get wrapped up in the excitement. 

I agree about the atmosphere. The only slight thing/moan this season is I thought the music that is played before and inbetween races is a little sleepy and not very upbeat like other stadiums.

Why is it when we lose , poor old Lee or Marcin or anybody else suddenly isn't good enough . We scored 38 points at the track of the team currently top of the league . If Oxford can keep Heeps at reserve , they must be in with a decent chance come the play offs . 

Certainly we do look a bit vulnerable at reserve , but things can quickly turn around . We've in all likelihood done enough already to make the play offs , then its a clean slate and on the night anything can happen . I wouldn't write us off just yet . 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cabbageman said:

O M G ...ragdoll is on at me again what a surprise the obsession with me is real with this one ...I'm not talking directly at you whoever you are so chill ok it's a forum if there's no opinions there's no point in a forum which you are on ....jesus wept never mind me ok jog on 

I have absolutely nothing against you having an opinion……it’s the incessant repeated posting of that same opinion that gets on peoples proverbials …….

Oh….and you say there are plenty riders out there to sort out the Tigers team. Just tell me who they are, what average they will come in on and what rider/riders you would drop to accommodate them? 

Edited by ragdoll64
  • Like 4

58 minutes ago, Toady said:

What about 2019 when they signed Rasser on the new circuit happy days

And clinched the Premiership Double in front of their own chanting, cheering fans, which unfortunately was the last ever meeting at The Abbey.:(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

I'm guessing Plymouth will be on 16th or 23rd of August with Workington or Bullets moving to 30 Aug (NDL has later cut-off date)

Cant see why the cut-off is so early, the school hols are just starting, would attract loads of kids with no lessons the following day.

Have to fancy a Oxford Poole final surely?