British Speedway Forum
Bojangles

Oxford vs Scunthorpe - Champ - 2/8

Trying your upmost to get meetings on is commendable and I appreciate the being restricted to Wedneadays situation, but there is a reason clubs call meetings off early nowadays, its to give supporters clarity and prevent that nightmare situation where folk are standing on a terrace watching a tractor go round with little or no hope of racing. 

I would also say that having done it myself many times in the past, if you travel to a speedway meeting and the forecast isn't great then you know that risk when you decide to go. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Trying your upmost to get meetings on is commendable and I appreciate the being restricted to Wedneadays situation, but there is a reason clubs call meetings off early nowadays, its to give supporters clarity and prevent that nightmare situation where folk are standing on a terrace watching a tractor go round with little or no hope of racing. 

I would also say that having done it myself many times in the past, if you travel to a speedway meeting and the forecast isn't great then you know that risk when you decide to go. 

The main problem for me is that the rain had passed by 6pm (ish) and Oxford said the meeting was still on at this stage. With no further rain falling, most fans obviously presumed the track was in a fit state to race and travelled, paid for tickets (at £2 extra), bought programmes etc., etc. Now I've no complaints with Oxford delaying a call off while waiting for the rain to stop and checking out the state of the track, but it was obvious (at 6pm) it wasn't going to happen. That's when the call off should have happened and saved everybody's time and money. No riders even went out on a bike to test it, suggesting the track was a long way from being in a fit state to race.

Oxford returning has been a dream for me and I love the club, but there have been some very questionable decisions (especially this season). Will it stop me from going again? No it won't, but there's probably less passionate fans that simply don't feel the same way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

I'm sure the thinking of supporters is way way down the list of there concerns if it even makes it on at all... There'll be many more cost to the business reasons why meetings are called off sometimes days in advance.

I agree with your second point though, been there, done that and I accept it :)

1 hour ago, Phil The Ace said:

Trouble is with Oxford only being allowed to race Wednesdays and no other day they are kind of forced into o try get every meeting on. 

it’s a catch 22 scenario for them. BUT like all businesses your fans are your business. You have to look after them. And 2 weeks now they haven’t thought of you at all. Which is a shame after such a positive return back to the sport. It can all be undone in 2 weeks though so be interested to see crowd figures on next meeting 

Oxford have Tuesday and Friday meetings coming up.

8 Aug v Kent 

25 Aug v Plymouth

Sheffield 2021 at AFA sticks in memory

1 hour ago, geoff100 said:

Are ticket refunds paid back right away ??

I am Sure it was announced within 2 days into bank accounts 

Didn't risk travelling up from Swoinedown for this. They needed to call it off earlier as they have spectators travelling from places such as London, Reading, Coventry, Milton Keynes, Glos. etc.,

would also say that having done it myself many times in the past, if you travel to a speedway meeting and the forecast isn't great then you know that risk when you decide to go. 

Especially if you are travelling from some distance

They are not restricted to Weds though, think Phil is getting mixed up with Brum. Poole have had a meeting there on a Tues before and some NL meetings have been a Tues also (but that might have been last season).

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Oxford have Tuesday and Friday meetings coming up.

8 Aug v Kent 

25 Aug v Plymouth

Fair enough. They wasn’t allowed up to top league because they could only race Wednesdays. But obviously it’s Mondays and Thursdays they can’t race , My apologies 

and there for there was no need for such a gamble last night and last week 

• Like 1

I think the difference here re: early/weather call off's, is that Oxford can afford to get it wrong (atm), whereas Bh'am and other struggling clubs can't!

Poor showing by the Club IMO!

Probably had 'meeting sponsors' to accommodate etc.....

Edited by GiveusaB

49 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

I think the difference here re: early/weather call off's, is that Oxford can afford to get it wrong (atm), whereas Bh'am and other struggling clubs can't!

Poor showing by the Club IMO!

Probably had 'meeting sponsors' to accommodate etc.....

Affording to get it wrong is not really what it is about.Fans matter.

50 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

Fair enough. They wasn’t allowed up to top league because they could only race Wednesdays. But obviously it’s Mondays and Thursdays they can’t race , My apologies 

and there for there was no need for such a gamble last night and last week 

I was told last year that Oxford wanted to join the PL but certain promotors remembered the ruling that no track can go straight into the PL, so CL and NDL was the only option.

12 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Affording to get it wrong is not really what it is about.Fans matter.

Exactly!

That's why I said...Poor showing by the Club!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Triple.H. said:

I was told last year that Oxford wanted to join the PL but certain promotors remembered the ruling that no track can go straight into the PL, so CL and NDL was the only option.

Not being able to ride on the race days was a problem to. 

but they deffo want top league and do have the finances to be safe in top league.