British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Speedway fan

BIRMINGHAM ARTICLE AND INTERVIEWS

A good article, something you'd expect to read from a first timer, unaware of all the politics and in fighting... that comes later :D

I do wish Nigel Tolley would stop talking about moving to the Alexander stadium, he loses credibility every time he does!

A good write up...

Very positive...

Sad that 600 is a "good crowd" nowadays..:(

Maybe actively targeting ex Cov and Cradley fans would help?

Reachng out via social media wouldn't be too difficult to find them..

Get some details and send them some reduced price tickets every meeting...

Policing it wouldn't be too hard either as all you would need is an address and send the tickets out "snail mail"...

Postcodes could decide who gets and who doesnt..

There may be the odd person who benefits who attends regularly now, but the opportunity lies with the thousands of ex Cov and CH fans who don't but still live "locally"...

And you don't need these fans to become "attached" to the club, (nice if they did obviously), you just need them to attend now and again to "see some speedway"..

A couple of hundred at a tenner a pop each meeting (doesnt have to be the same couole of hundred), would add crowd size and, therefore, also atmosphere..

The Brum promoters certainly deserve some success for their input and enthusiasm..

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, mikebv said:

And you don't need these fans to become "attached" to the club, (nice if they did obviously), you just need them to attend now and again to "see some speedway"..

Just what has happened at Oxford with Swindon,Reading amongst others attending to boost the crowd ,maybe those Ch and Cov supporters  have been away to long

Speedway in the West Midlands in its heyday was very much like Soccer. 

VERY Tribal. 

Let's not forget Coventry fans would not support Bees in numbers in NDL in 2018 due to Mick Horton 

Heathens fans didn't support team at PB and begrudgingly at Monmore in ever dwindling numbers. 

As I posted elsewhere earlier in the week you may get 50 tops both from each very occasionally but not 100 extra a week. 

I agree 100% re non sensical reference to Alexander which is home to UK Athletics and used 7 days a week for events and training. 

The other negative for Brummies and it hurts me to say it but massive reawakening of Birmingham City with new Owners and NFL superstar Tom Brady on Board. 

They will be attractive to younger supporters in and around Birmingham and attract back thousands who've drifted away and have very cheap under 15 deals already. 

3 minutes ago, HGould said:

I agree 100% re non sensical reference to Alexander which is home to UK Athletics and used 7 days a week for events and training

Not entirely true as the stadium are actively looking to introduce more/different sports/clubs maximise usage.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, kitten2502 said:

Not entirely true as the stadium are actively looking to introduce more/different sports/clubs maximise usage.

I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting that you could cover a state of the art Athletics track for 10 to 12 Wednesdays in summer and have it available for Athletics in between? 

Certainly not for a sport attracting 600 fans. 

I know they did it at Qiubell Park Scunthorpe on the 70s but that was a shale running track. 

50 minutes ago, HGould said:

I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting that you could cover a state of the art Athletics track for 10 to 12 Wednesdays in summer and have it available for Athletics in between? 

I'm not suggesting there is any chance of speedway taking place there, just pointing out that it is not used 7 days a week for events & training - hence the bold text.

It doesn’t have to be the athletics track neither. Just use another part of the park.

Or maybe Nigel Tolley could make an offer that can't be refused for the ownership of the existing stadium?

Absolutely shocking that Perry Bar Stadium should be demolished and turned into accomodation cause the Commonwealth games village is sitting empty when it was designed to utilised as permanent living quarters!

But of course as we know money talks!

As for Alexander stadium, it sounds like a long shot but surely Nigel Tolley is privy to more information than us keyboard warriors on here?!   

Edited by 25yearfan

23 hours ago, Deano said:

It doesn’t have to be the athletics track neither. Just use another part of the park.

The BMX track? :lol:

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, OGT said:

The BMX track? :lol:

There used to be a Cycle Speedway Track in Perry Park. 

Thats just the other side of the A34 Dual Carriageway from Alexander Stadium. 

Not sure if it's still there Kingstanding Monarchs. 

It's only 100 metres smaller than Plymouth. 

Lots of open space there.

St Andrews likely to be available by 2026 or 2027 if they move to Wheels Site. 

34 minutes ago, HGould said:

There used to be a Cycle Speedway Track in Perry Park. 

Thats just the other side of the A34 Dual Carriageway from Alexander Stadium. 

Not sure if it's still there Kingstanding Monarchs. 

It's only 100 metres smaller than Plymouth. 

Lots of open space there.

St Andrews likely to be available by 2026 or 2027 if they move to Wheels Site. 

This one?

https://maps.app.goo.gl/3t3YLS6qnxS333E58?g_st=ic

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Deano said:

Yeah

That's the place .

I thought the Park was bigger though, had lots of Footy Pitches around 30 years ago but seems to be where it always was. 

Archie Wilkinson who I think rode for Cradley and Brummies in the 60's had an involvment there from memory.

I also think Brian Buck was heavily involved in Cycle Speedway in the Birmingham Area. No doubt if he sees this he will be able to comment.