British Speedway Forum
bigcatdiary

Peterborough v Sheffield - 21st Aug

9 hours ago, homer said:

depends on the riders seen some strung out crap around the there

Same here, out of the near 3000 races I’ve seen at NSS, there’s been a few awful ones. 

• Haha 1

Sheffield were not helped by Steads decision not to use Tai in heat 7 for Ellis, that would have meant he could go out in 9, 11, 13 & 15

Much better that going out in 9, 11, 12, 13 & 15 for Tai, didn't understand that decision at all

If it means dropping Ellis and one other, we must do it to get Tai in, cant be any weaker than we are now

• Like 1

13 hours ago, iainb said:

It's obviously an editorial decision not to mention it, can't think why though, like the crafty camera angles to make it look like there's a decent crowd in... it's such a sham

Seems to have been the strategy since Chapman made his statement last year about 2023 at the end of last season. Credit to Panthers management for getting an extension to an extension but it's hard to think that going quietly wasn't part of the deal? Maybe that's unfair but the club and supporters club have been mute all season, apart from some of the statements Johnson put put out which often included a reference to raising the white flag so to speak!

The EoES crowd has never been great (Mick Horton was making use it or lose it noises 20 years ago) and that would have been known by all concerned with what's going on with the proposed development at the Showground. In speedway terms our crowds have seemingly improved and held up well considering what has or hasn't happened over the last four seasons; so that's a stick they'll use to beat us with so best to leave it alone or explain the detail more closely.

At the end of the day, It's an important community facility being potentially being replaced by bricks & concrete and a vision of better culture, leisure and entertainment facilities for the city. I'm not sure that the locals want it and will the city benefit that much?

There is plenty of unused land elsewhere to plant concrete on, and, if they are keeping the Arena, then why PCC didn't plan a real city community leisure and entertainment complex incorporating Peterborough Speedway is a mystery. They could have partnered with the Nene Park Trust, which is only a stones throw away, to meet their conservation/environment objectives and make the site an all year round facility, another stick!

rant over.

Edited by Crump99

2 hours ago, Mick Bratley said:

I think that’s unfair, Panthers supporters do give a toss, BUT the situation is complicated. The developers have yet to officially reveal their plans. There are things happening in the background, these will come to the fore when there is sight of the development plans. Suffice to say, there will be no Speedway at Peterborough in 2024, not because interested current or prospective promoters don’t want to, but because the developers will not renew the lease for any current or prospective promoters.

I really don't want to be a doom and gloom merchant but the petition you started on the 13th of August currently has a not so grand total of 1,153 signatures. If as suggested, last night was the largest crowd of the season it surely couldn't have been more than 1,153 or they would have signed the petition. 1,153 signatures indicates to me most people don't give a toss, wasn't even mentioned on TV last night except by Bomber hinting that it was the end during an interview only screened on the Discovery+ app.

Why aren't Tatum & Nicholls not screaming this down their mics? 2 times now they've talked about riders "coming back next year" and have failed to mention both times that the clubs they were talking about (Wolves with Woffy and Panthers with Wojjy) were going out of business next year! 

This criticism is not aimed at you, as far as I can tell you are one of the prime architects in trying to save the Panthers in some way... why has this petition not caught the imagination of Speedway fans around the world?

Edited by iainb

2 hours ago, Mick Bratley said:

I think that’s unfair, Panthers supporters do give a toss, BUT the situation is complicated. The developers have yet to officially reveal their plans. There are things happening in the background, these will come to the fore when there is sight of the development plans. Suffice to say, there will be no Speedway at Peterborough in 2024, not because interested current or prospective promoters don’t want to, but because the developers will not renew the lease for any current or prospective promoters.

I thought that they could renew if they wished but due to lack of activity now at the EoES (well events if not a garage) the cost to the club of a new agreement would be financially unrealistic/unacceptable. It's a shame that PCC can't do some of the site maintenance that AEPG will no longer do. It can't be too onerous and would keep Peterborough people in work.

Some great racing last night, I signed the petition today.

Yes all quiet on the TV broadcasts about Wolverhampton and Peterborough situation and unless Oxford and another team move up it leaves the Premiership in a sticky situation.

There is a thought that Glasgow might move up and whilst I can see the attraction of big names riding there it also brings its problems too.

Maybe there will be a major shake up of the Leagues  next year but this might make the “big”  names think twice about racing in the UK in the future.

1 hour ago, iainb said:

I really don't want to be a doom and gloom merchant but the petition you started on the 13th of August currently has a not so grand total of 1,153 signatures. If as suggested, last night was the largest crowd of the season it surely couldn't have been more than 1,153 or they would have signed the petition. 1,153 signatures indicates to me most people don't give a toss, wasn't even mentioned on TV last night except by Bomber hinting that it was the end during an interview only screened on the Discovery+ app.

Why aren't Tatum & Nicholls not screaming this down their mics? 2 times now they've talked about riders "coming back next year" and have failed to mention both times that the clubs they were talking about (Wolves with Woffy and Panthers with Wojjy) were going out of business next year! 

This criticism is not aimed at you, as far as I can tell you are one of the prime architects in trying to save the Panthers in some way... why has this petition not caught the imagination of Speedway fans around the world?

Unfortunately the petition on change.org is not really worth anything, it is not recognised by the city council, they only recognise petitions started on their council website (it’s coming soon). All the petition is doing is showing the level of opposition to the demise of the club. I don’t think 1200 signatures in a week is that bad, of course it could always be better, but Peterborians are an apathetic lot and really any petition needs to capture the attention of the local media. The future council petition will do just that and hopefully we’ll get the subject raised on the next full council agenda, if we can reach 500 local residents signatures in two weeks, which should be easily achievable.

Edited by Mick Bratley

1 hour ago, Crump99 said:

I thought that they could renew if they wished but due to lack of activity now at the EoES (well events if not a garage) the cost to the club of a new agreement would be financially unrealistic/unacceptable. It's a shame that PCC can't do some of the site maintenance that AEPG will no longer do. It can't be too onerous and would keep Peterborough people in work.

No they have refused to give the club any further leases. One of their arguments to get rid of Speedway is that they should be charging the club what they believe is a more realistic rental of £7k a meeting and not the (I guess) £2k they do currently. £7k per meeting would be unsustainable for any promoter and even £2k for a set of keys and no concessions, I think, is taking the piss.

Edited by Mick Bratley
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mick Bratley said:

No they have refused to give the club any further leases. One of their arguments to get rid of Speedway is that they should be charging the club what they believe is a more realistic rental of £7k a meeting and not the (I guess) £2k they do currently. £7k per meeting would be unsustainable for any promoter and even £2k for a set of keys and no concessions, I think, is taking the piss.

Therein lies the main problem though for many teams with landlords...

3000 crowds per meetings would knock out around £60k, meaning clubs could pay between five and ten grand a match..

Do that 20 times a season and I would suggest landlords would be much happier keeping the tenant...

The saddest thing is that most clubs (in the Prem particularly), will have well over 3000 "followers" who live local to their tracks, but the way the sport has been ran over the past couple of decades in particular, has made many of them (very) infrequent visitors..

You only have to see the play off crowds to see the potential should those who run Speedway ever do if "properly" so fans could believe in it...

• Sad 1

I haven't been to Peterborough all that many times, Premier League 4`s a few times plus one league match, but it would be a crying shame to lose the EoES.

8 hours ago, Badge said:

Was I the only one watching this on discovery +,  that for some unknown reason, had to endure eurosport adverts throughout the meeting? Normally I don't have to suffer them.

I got the ads as well, don't know why but it's the first time that it has happened whilst watching on discovery+. 

4 minutes ago, Steve55 said:

I got the ads as well, don't know why but it's the first time that it has happened whilst watching on discovery+. 

Me too, contacted discovery plus customer service and they were worse than useless saying they have ads on live events and depends what subscription you have and what device you watch it on:rolleyes:.

Well for me, same subscription I've always had on my Samsung TV as per usual. 

4 minutes ago, Badge said:

Me too, contacted discovery plus customer service and they were worse than useless saying they have ads on live events and depends what subscription you have and what device you watch it on:rolleyes:.

Well for me, same subscription I've always had on my Samsung TV as per usual. 

I've just been having a quick check on this and it would appear my sky Q box recorded last nights meeting on eurosport 2 on series link so I'm wondering if that may have affected what was shown on my tv. I was defo watching on the discovery+ app.