British Speedway Forum
Midget

Workington 2024

3 hours ago, Arthur54 said:

How about Richard Lawson, sure that would go down well 

More chance of seeing Yasser Arafat in a synagogue than Richard Lawson riding in Cumbria.. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, screm said:

Giving the amount of time, money and effort it has taken to get Workington speedway back up and running I feel they were left with little option but to go Championship next year, especially when it is obvious there wont be a third tier league anymore.

I read that with other NDL teams not running next year, Worky and another team were advised of there being no NDL in 24, so they were recommended by the BSPL to go into the Championship. 

2 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Bailey as a reserve / second string at the very best. That’s about it. Championship heat leader Bailey is not!

Take it your not aware of next year's points limit then .

26 minutes ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Take it your not aware of next year's points limit then .

Yea gonna be good when Mr shovler realises his beloved team has to be massively dismantled :D

43 minutes ago, Neila said:

Yea gonna be good when Mr shovler realises his beloved team has to be massively dismantled :D

Poole have a good record at restructuring teams when necessary. I suspect that whatever the points limit they will prove more astute than their rivals at putting together a septet under the new points limit whatever it is.

• Like 2

Anyone heard anything about race night? 

14 hours ago, RogerM22 said:

Are there many others with Workington connections still around? Cook looks amazing obvious choice but brings his own issues. Lawson would be a more reliable option.

Anyone from the 2018 lot an option?

Dan Bewley 

27 minutes ago, SteelShoe said:

Dan Bewley 

Not sure why Dan would ride in the Championship, and Sunday afternoons will be a no-go too.

7 minutes ago, Noelinho said:

Not sure why Dan would ride in the Championship, and Sunday afternoons will be a no-go too.

Will it have to be Sunday afternoon?  I'd read on here that they'd bought the track lights from Peterborough - maybe they're planning stock cars or something then because you don't need lights in the afternoon.

Brilliant news yesterday . The Northside track is fantastic , got to be the widest in the country . Can just see Bomber blasting round the outside of those bends . That track deserves to be at a higher level , roll on 2024 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Will it have to be Sunday afternoon?  I'd read on here that they'd bought the track lights from Peterborough - maybe they're planning stock cars or something then because you don't need lights in the afternoon.

Maybe if they install lights they may change their race day as Sundays can be difficult rider wise in GB these days

14 hours ago, 1Tsunami said:

I read that with other NDL teams not running next year, Worky and another team were advised of there being no NDL in 24, so they were recommended by the BSPL to go into the Championship

Of course the BSPL are going to recommend thru go into the Champ, hardly gonna recommend they close down or join Nora are they!

Which begs the question, was the recommendation in the best interests of the club or the BSPL?

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Maybe if they install lights they may change their race day as Sundays can be difficult rider wise in GB these days

As Newcastle found out to their ultimate cost.

Really hope it works out for all at Worky.  Used to love going across every Saturday night when I was filming for Bob (GRT Media) and Workington were always my second team (see where I was born for why!).  Hopefully I will get across in 2024 to sample the place for myself.

2 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Newcastle certainly showed how difficult it was to get heat leaders riding on a Sunday, can't see Sunday's working for Champ speedway these days.

Sundays are no good for Championship speedway. Most teams have one, two or three riders who are racing in Poland.