British Speedway Forum
Midget

Workington 2024

9 minutes ago, scaramanga said:

If a rider is on 100 a point that's 5 full paying adults per point for points money alone potentially 300 to 400 paying adults per meeting just for points money for team on average

No team survives on gate admissions alone though (there wouldn't be many clubs left if that was the case). There's plenty of other revenue streams - sponsorship being the main one, plus merchandise and programme sales, catering profits, media profits, plus others I'm sure I've forgotten. Appreciate it is the main income, but it's not just black and white like that.

• Like 1

I might be wrong but £100 a point doesnt seem out of the question to me?

As a worst case scenario for the promotion the team wins every match 60-30.

Thats £6000 outlay on £100 a point.

If tickets for home matches are £20 each then youd need 300 fans to break even on that £6000.

Obviously only have half the matches at home so on that basis double that 300 fans to cover the away matches to make up the deficit from gate receipts on the away matches.

I presume Workington have been well supported since their return so will they get 600 through for home matches in the championship?

Obviously the figures above are based on 60 point wins which wont happen every week.

If Vissing is asking for £100 a point your number 1 & 5s will be asking for more but the second strings and reaerves wont so that cancels it out.

From the outside it doesnt seem madness to think gate receipts can cover rider points? Then other sales of merchandis and food can coer other outlays for home matches to an extent.

I base all this on the premise that running a speedway team for a promotion is a break even businesses at best

13 minutes ago, ljriley90 said:

If tickets for home matches are £20 each then youd need 300 fans to break even on that £6000.

Obviously only have half the matches at home so on that basis double that 300 fans to cover the away matches to make up the deficit from gate receipts on the away matches.

I presume Workington have been well supported since their return so will they get 600 through for home matches in the championship?

Obviously the figures above are based on 60 point wins which wont happen every week.

If Vissing is asking for £100 a point your number 1 & 5s will be asking for more but the second strings and reaerves wont so that cancels it out.

From the outside it doesnt seem madness to think gate receipts can cover rider points? Then other sales of merchandis and food can coer other outlays for home matches to an extent.

I base all this on the premise that running a speedway team for a promotion is a break even businesses at best

Oxford made a near six-figure profit last season.

Edited by BackInTheDHSS

30 minutes ago, BackInTheDHSS said:

Oxford made a near six-figure profit last season.

Wow thats great to hear. Testament to the promotion. 

It goes against l the doom and gloom you usially associate with speedway at the moment 

2 hours ago, ljriley90 said:

You'd need more than that after you've paid the VAT.

I honestly think that paying any rider £100 a point in the (watered down) Championship is madness.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, StevePark said:

You'd need more than that after you've paid the VAT.

I honestly think that paying any rider £100 a point in the (watered down) Championship is madness.

Agreed. 

Surely there can't be too many riders in the Championship on >=£100 a point?

I know that rider overheads and running costs are crazy but even so. 

So a loud mouth from poole plants a storey and people go off on one, i am sure andrew and steve know what they are doing let others mind there own!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, geoff100 said:

So a loud mouth from poole plants a storey and people go off on one, i am sure andrew and steve know what they are doing let others mind there own!

Maybe a story but that is not to say there is no truth in it 

1 hour ago, Joseq7 said:

Agreed. 

Surely there can't be too many riders in the Championship on >=£100 a point?

I know that rider overheads and running costs are crazy but even so. 

Not sure any Glasgow riders were on that last season. I seem to remember Bomber quoting £90/point?

Also, not sure Shovlar was saying he knew Claus is after £100/point, sounded like speculation to me.

A good thing for comets promotion is that every penny that comes into the arena, admission,car parking, food and drink, sponsorship etc, is all their own, no rent to pay, but you have more costs than riders wages, other major costs need to be factored in to the equation,  like medical costs, insurance  costs of electricity/generators, track equipment etc. In the interview Steve lawson said a break even figure of 600, which imo will be easily achieved,  let's get behind the comets promotion and be like Oxford then speedway will be here for many years UTC 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Noelinho said:

Not sure any Glasgow riders were on that last season. I seem to remember Bomber quoting £90/point?

Also, not sure Shovlar was saying he knew Claus is after £100/point, sounded like speculation to me.

A few years ago a Glasgow number 1 was on a lot more than £100 a point and another was on a very very high guarantee whatever points he scored. Apparently :rolleyes:

10 minutes ago, Neila said:

A good thing for comets promotion is that every penny that comes into the arena, admission,car parking, food and drink, sponsorship etc, is all their own, no rent to pay, but you have more costs than riders wages, other major costs need to be factored in to the equation,  like medical costs, insurance  costs of electricity/generators, track equipment etc. In the interview Steve lawson said a break even figure of 600, which imo will be easily achieved,  let's get behind the comets promotion and be like Oxford then speedway will be here for many years UTC 

so i take it worky gets all the takings from all the food outlets/chippy/drink/ice cream   , even though it looks like these are run by other non worky people !

16 minutes ago, Neila said:

Lets hope the 600 figure can be achieved, we did have some good attendances  at the start of the season and against Belle Vue I recall was a very good crowd but there were some meetings when attendances were not so good.

Hopefully with the Comets competing in the Championship there will be lots of travelling fans coming along , I know even last season there were many who came from Glasgow, Edinburgh, Redcar etc.

1 hour ago, j2ohh said:

so i take it worky gets all the takings from all the food outlets/chippy/drink/ice cream   , even though it looks like these are run by other non worky people !

Ice-cream vans, etc, pay the promotion a set fee to let them come in and sell to the audience.    Guaranteed income for the Comets.  Takes a lot of strain off the club, although a little less profitable than running the outlets themselves. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crescent girl said:

Ice-cream vans, etc, pay the promotion a set fee to let them come in and sell to the audience.    Guaranteed income for the Comets.  Takes a lot of strain off the club, although a little less profitable than running the outlets themselves. 

Regarding food while it’s easy money to let it out.With a little organisation its’very healthy profit to do it In-house .IMO.Initial outlay might be the problem if it was short Term but they have a21 year lease.

Edited by Fromafar