British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Beirao

Interval Attractions

I always remember the interval in the Levis For Feet meeting at Wimbledon in 1978 when Ole Olsen and some bunny girls had a one-lap race around the Wimbledon track on very small child pushbikes.

I do remember various stars turning up to Plough Lane. Alvin Stardust, Mud and Sam Fox. But my memory is such that i can't recall if they did any more than parade on the centre green, as the interval was more for going to the loo and the bar.....

My Uncle used to go to Hackney before the War. I asked him about interval attractions once, he told me, "They used to put on some great interval entertainment. I can remember a boxing match there once between Jimmy Bitmead and Max Joachim. It was only one round of three minutes but it was a cracking fight."

Johnny Hoskins sometimes invited celebrity guests to appear during the interval at News Cross. I recall Nero and the Gladiators (a rock band of the 60's) being paraded around the track on the grader. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nero_and_the_Gladiators

The team setting fire to Hoskins' trilby became a tradition which took place on the centre green during the interval to amuse the crowd. I assume that he eventually ran out of hats to wear. 

If he was appearing at the local Fiesta club, Freddie Starr would often be at Sheffield. Would usually do the "half time draw", and keep us all amused until the racing re-started.

One I remember: 

The [1973 Reading v] Sheffield fixture is also remembered for the night's off track events. Since the start of the season announcer David Hamilton had brought a stream of famous faces to Tilehurst as his guest. Many of them would no longer be recognised but that night's guest remains famous, albeit for entirely the wrong reasons. With two number one and two number two hit singles in 1973 Gary Glitter had star written all over him. His presence encouraged many teenage girls with no interest in the racing to attend the meeting and drew a backlash from hardcore supporters who regarded Glitter as a distraction. Their behaviour towards Glitter attracted stern words in the following week's programme! The Evening Post gave the visit front page coverage: “Fever as Glitter hits Reading”, ran the front page headline. Page 4 carried further pictures of the Glitter visit next to a story giving the latest developments in the Watergate scandal.

For a short period of time, Swindon used to have local bands playing on the greyhound track by the starting gate during the interval.

I thought it was a shame that they didn't keep that up. I liked it.

2 hours ago, Grachan said:

For a short period of time, Swindon used to have local bands playing on the greyhound track by the starting gate during the interval.

I thought it was a shame that they didn't keep that up. I liked it.

Yes, I'd enjoy that too and it's give some exposure to the bands as well so not that expensive.

We had both Bob Dugard and Danny Dunton join a belly dancer prior to a meeting at White City on one unforgettable occasion!

Wimbledon ages ago around 1967 grass track sidecars - and a guy got killed. Also go-karts. I remember live music in the grandstand bar after the meeting - once.

I recall a stunt rider at Brough Park, probably during the 90's. Evel Kinevel style he jumped over some vans or something.

Just about 20 years behind the zeitgeist  

1 hour ago, enotian said:

I recall a stunt rider at Brough Park, probably during the 90's. Evel Kinevel style he jumped over some vans or something.

Just about 20 years behind the zeitgeist  

GK Geronimo (Gary Kirkup)

Edited by StevePark

Ian Thomas was regularly putting on interval attractions at Workington including Ken Dodd, Charlie Williams, Del Boy,  a guy who dived into a small tank of water from a great height, Ice Speedway Bike lap record etc. He certainly new how to promote speedway.

2 minutes ago, bigdave said:

Ian Thomas was regularly putting on interval attractions at Workington including Ken Dodd, Charlie Williams, Del Boy,  a guy who dived into a small tank of water from a great height, Ice Speedway Bike lap record etc. He certainly new how to promote speedway.

do any of those things 'promote speedway'?