British Speedway Forum
paul84

Scunthorpe Scorpions V Workington Comets 29/3/24

3 minutes ago, Moranboys said:

The meeting should have been called off following the initial downpour,at least then the worky supporters could have been on their way instead of waiting seventy minutes for the inevitable.On a further point,is the food ever going to go back to the standards it used to be.The steak pie which used to be awesome when it was the old catering facilities,is now tantamount to being horrible.£7.00 for dried steak pie,dried chips and peas?lesson learnt from yesterday.Also,what happens with the 50/50 draw? Why couldn't that have gone ahead and what happens with the money? Is it rolled over?also,the choice of music over the tannoy,was more akin to a damn nightclub banging in your head four and hour and a half.prob worse experience I've ever had at scunny.

Apologies for ranting on but also,even if the meeting goes ahead,correct me if I'm wrong but don't we pay our money to be entertained for 15 heats,not watching follow my leader for five heats until the track dries out and then hope for ten heats of racing?

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, mikebv said:

It is very much "rinse and repeat" on here isn't it when it comes to the same old issues being outlined...

The comments made could have come from any meetings ran in similar circumstances over the past heaven knows how many decades..

The only real surprise I have is that some still seem surprised...:D

It is UK Speedway after all, a very small minority sport, ran, in the main, by well meaning amateurs, who use the sport as an "expensive hobby", with very little skill set around leading "the customer experience" at a public event...

So don't set your expectations too high, and that way you won't be too disappointed..;)

Any "newbies" may not go back again, but the "die hards" who persuade them to go there, will, so no real net loss to the business..

Maybe it's worth copying and pasting some comments on this thread, ready  for the next similar occurrence, to save time..

Then just change the names...:D

It's always a shambles at Scunny or seems to be whenever I choose to go, being brought up on the era of around 10 matches to choose to go to on a Good Friday this year I had a choice of 2! Poole too far away as a neutral with a 7:30 kick off or the 80 mile trip to the omnishambles that is Scunny. In recent years it seems to be the track I've spent the most time at waiting for Speedway to actually happen, usually I've been kept waiting due to inadequate medical resources. There's no way Rob Godfrey should be anywhere near the top table of British Speedway, he should step back and look at getting his own club in order.

At the risk of sounding like a Tory... Where is the plan? There's no plan! Like you say it's not the first time this has happened... anywhere! And it will happen again, we know what our climate is like and it'll probably only get worse before it gets better. A stadium full of punters, who were happily let in to be greeted by the sight of a track that everybody knew, deep down , was never going to see any Speedway ridden on it that night. There should be a set of procedures to work through, that have been proven to work, if a meeting is going to be attempted to be saved. Credit to those that tried to get the circuit into some kind of condition and clearing the pools of water on it but even after that work was carried out nothing was done to soak up the water that wasn't standing in pools but still quite clearly visible. I wonder if any research has been done into finding a financially viable absorbent substance that could be used on tracks in such events. Back in the day it used to be sawdust but the sport probably can't even afford that anymore. Blading the track and relaying with fresh shale would have been another option, just getting on with it may have been another option... or just calling it off after the downpour. That's my point there doesn't seem to be a set of procedures to run to in the event of this happening, it's generally nothing happens for a while, then riders start appearing, kicking the track, then work starts, the the ref, captains and managers walk a lap of the circuit, then there's more faffing about, everybody disappears for a while, then the ref, captains and managers appear again to walk another lap of the track, everybody disappears again, punters are stood around waiting, those who know, know and have already gone home... eventually it's called off... we've all seen it at our local tracks before and we'll all see it again!

Added with that on this occasion was the ridiculous "music" being blasted at the elderly crowd, not a single update as to what was actually happening, an annoying loud humming noise emanating from the PA when the "music" did cease and even more ridiculously a large queue to actually get out of the stadium! 

Edited by iainb
  • Like 2

Unfortunately as a general rule British speedway provides awful customer service. Those who pay the expensive entrance fee get taken for granted quite often. 

If you want to attract new customers and keep them coming back it goes without saying that things need to change. Not sure those currently running things have got that in them though unfortunately. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Moranboys said:

Apologies for ranting on but also,even if the meeting goes ahead,correct me if I'm wrong but don't we pay our money to be entertained for 15 heats,not watching follow my leader for five heats until the track dries out and then hope for ten heats of racing?

That's a perfect description of Oxford v Birmingham, after heavier than forecast rain the match went ahead and the first (of many) passes wasn't until heat 6, a match well received by almost everybody who attended.

Edited by arnieg

Posted (edited)

Well I think different, disappointed you bet, but thats speedway /life in uk ,I just headed to the bar , nobody’s fault bar Mother Nature, rubbish happens ,had one of the best seats ever ,after everyone left and stopped complaining 

Edited by Spiderman1

42 minutes ago, iainb said:

It's always a shambles at Scunny or seems to be whenever I choose to go, being brought up on the era of around 10 matches to choose to go to on a Good Friday this year I had a choice of 2! Poole too far away as a neutral with a 7:30 kick off or the 80 trip to the omnishambles that is Scunny. In recent years it seems to be the track I've spent the most time at waiting for Speedway to actually happen, usually I've been kept waiting due to inadequate medical resources. There's no way Rob Godfrey should be anywhere near the top table of British Speedway, he should step back and look at getting his own club in order.

At the risk of sounding like a Tory... Where is the plan? There's no plan! Like you say it's not the first time this has happened... anywhere! And it will happen again, we know what our climate is like and it'll probably only get worse before it gets better. A stadium full of punters, who were happily let in to be greeted by the sight of a track that everybody knew, deep down , was never going to see any Speedway ridden on it that night. There should be a set of procedures to work through, that have been proven to work, if a meeting is going to be attempted to be saved. Credit to those that tried to get the circuit into some kind of condition and clearing the pools of water on it but even after that work was carried out nothing was done to soak up the water that wasn't standing in pools but still quite clearly visible. I wonder if any research has been done into finding a financially viable absorbent substance that could be used on tracks in such events. Back in the day it used to be sawdust but the sport probably can't even afford that anymore. Blading the track and relaying with fresh shale would have been another option, just getting on with it may have been another option... or just calling it off after the downpour. That's my point there doesn't seem to be a set of procedures to run to in the event of this happening, it's generally nothing happens for a while, then riders start appearing, kicking the track, then work starts, the the ref, captains and managers walk a lap of the circuit, then there's more faffing about, everybody disappears for a while, then the ref, captains and managers appear again to walk another lap of the track, everybody disappears again, punters are stood around waiting, those who know, know and have already gone home... eventually it's called off... we've all seen it at our local tracks before and we'll all see it again!

Added with that on this occasion was the ridiculous "music" being blasted at the elderly crowd, not a single update as to what was actually happening, an annoying loud humming noise emanating from the PA when the "music" did cease and even more ridiculously a large queue to actually get out of the stadium! 

I think  when all the riders come out and start kicking the track your just as well to go home.They should just give you your readmission ticket as you leave.If the riders don’t fancy why should a fan.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

I think  when all the riders come out and start kicking the track your just as well to go home.They should just give you your readmission ticket as you leave.If the riders don’t fancy why should a fan.

They were actually giving cash refunds last night, I've only ever seen that once before when there was nearly a riot at Oxford about about 40 odd years ago, ironically that was also a Good Friday!

The advantage of buying online, in addition to a discount at some tracks, is that your refund goes straight back to you automatically.  No queueing, no fiddling with tickets, no riots..... 

Posted (edited)

To ianb. It's not tracks can't afford sawdust, it does grow on trees you know, but they're not allowed to. Thanks to the enviornmentalists for that, same with dropping oil onto the track.

Edited by tyretrax
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Local football team playing at home so a no brainer not to go head to head with them lots of football fans came after as it's a 10 minute drive 

Yes and what a shower that was too 

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

That's a perfect description of Oxford v Birmingham, after heavier than forecast rain the match went ahead and the first (of many) passes wasn't until heat 6, a match well received by almost everybody who attended.

But you still pretty much lose six out of fifteen heats of racing.....that's my point...( Value for money, regardless of whether or not it was well received)

Posted (edited)

I’m not going to complain about the fact the meeting was called off after over an hour delay. The timing of the heavy downpour was poor. Best efforts were made to get the meeting on, and that should be appreciated. Nobody can control the weather. 

As a Scunthorpe regular, I must say the whole presentation of the event must improve. The quality of the PA system is poor and has been for a while. It’s too quiet and difficult to hear. The choice of music is awful and the long gaps of silence is so shabby. More communication is required and more could be done when there is no racing to keep the fans entertained. There really is no excuse in this day and age for that. Maybe a new announcer is required, but surely this could be communicated and volunteers sought, I’m sure there are people out there willing to give it a go. 

Was first one of the year and not going to be negative because on track I think the team have a very good chance this season and the racing never fails to disappoint at Scunthorpe. Just a few things to tighten up on to make the whole experience more professional and ultimately, more enjoyable. Particularly for new comers.  A minor blip to start the season. Onward. 

Edited by stumper
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stumper said:

I’m not going to complain about the fact the meeting was called off after over an hour delay. The timing of the heavy downpour was poor. Best efforts were made to get the meeting on, and that should be appreciated. Nobody can control the weather. 

As a Scunthorpe regular, I must say the whole presentation of the event must improve. The quality of the PA system is poor and has been for a while. It’s too quiet and difficult to hear. The choice of music is awful and the long gaps of silence is so shabby. More communication is required and more could be done when there is no racing to keep the fans entertained. There really is no excuse in this day and age for that. Maybe a new announcer is required, but surely this could be communicated and volunteers sought, I’m sure there are people out there willing to give it a go. 

Was first one of the year and not going to be negative because on track I think the team have a very good chance this season and the racing never fails to disappoint at Scunthorpe. Just a few things to tighten up on to make the whole experience more professional and ultimately, more enjoyable. Particularly for new comers.  A minor blip to start the season. Onward. 

Totally agree... music was awful.  I think Rob did appear on the centre green with mic in hand, perhaps by then the speakers had given up the ghost or perhaps the guy in the control box had gone awol??

5 hours ago, Moranboys said:

4 hours ago, arnieg said:

Maybe Scunthorpe & Oxford fans are lucky, but at some tracks you'll get about 14 heats of "follow the leader" every week. So these supporters will be wondering what you're complaining about lol!

I attended yesterday and even thought it took an age to get the announcement out that the meeting was off it was the correct decision, especially as it started to shower with rain again that point.  I’m just hoping that  Scunthorpe honour their admission ticket, as popped into the pits from bend 4 entrance when that was opened by the club to speak to a couple of friends who were due to ride and mechanic and left via the pit exit/entry without getting ticket stamped, if not that’s the last £20 that will leave my wallet and go into Scunny’s coffers