British Speedway Forum
topaz325

Workington v Berwick Border Trophy 31/03/24 3pm

1 hour ago, bigcatdiary said:

Fair point and more eloquently put than the other idiot.

No doubt most Workington fans are connected to the Workington social feeds, unfortunately I am not, other sources suggested Cook had dislocated his thumb.

No need for the name calling, you’ve proved who the real idiot is here when you can’t check simple info.

First you attack the promotion for not having a match report up straight after a meeting (try travelling back from Berwick to Workington and getting up to go to the track at 11am), then about an injury update (which is posted on socials around 3 and a half hours before the meeting)

Then play dumb because you don’t check all the correct channels.

The constant negativity on here is boring, and I’ll probably just give it a miss in future. 

Hope this is eloquent enough for you.

p.s the positivity from hundreds of Facebook comments is great to see. Funny that because people post on there with a real name. Coincidence? I think not.

Some of the comments on here are great, others quite obvious mickey taking, others are just damn oblivious.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

PR disaster. Only female in league sacked.

Afraid so. It is only fair she is given a few meetings but I've always said this looks certain to be a PR stunt and a box ticking exercise that will backfire and if it does then it will put women's speedway back again as no promoter will ever touch a female rider for a long time after. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, StevePark said:

That can be said for quite a few riders, though.

None more so than batch, he is the worst because you know he has the ability.

46 minutes ago, JamesHarris said:

Afraid so. It is only fair she is given a few meetings but I've always said this looks certain to be a PR stunt and a box ticking exercise that will backfire and if it does then it will put women's speedway back again as no promoter will ever touch a female rider for a long time after. 

So your saying the other clubs(s) that had approached Celina were after publicity points rather than trying to fill  a team place ??

20 minutes ago, Neila said:

So your saying the other clubs(s) that had approached Celina were after publicity points rather than trying to fill  a team place ??

I assume you are a smart person so what do you think? One can look at this two ways. 1 - the rose tinted way of how wonderful and progressive this is. Equality for women in Speedway. Or 2 The realistic way - This is a PR masterpiece. Lets jump on the equality and diversity bandwagon. The media will be all over it and it may get us a few more sponsors in the meantime. I'll let you decide.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JamesHarris said:

I just don't think promoters work that way. Regardless of how successful or not Celina turns out to be, if some team needs a rider, in the ever decreasing market, and the best bet available is a female, then they will turn to her

A young female finished 2nd in the junior event at Güstrow the other day. Who knows how her career turns out ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Great to see Workington speedway back at their natural level although I suspect the team may need strengthening at some point to avoid attendance levels dropping.

I've never seen Celina Liebmann live in a meeting but from what I can make out from following her results over the last few years is I'd gauge her level at about a 7-8 point NL standard but a bit short of being competitive at Championship level. She needs 10 meetings to try and give herself a chance to get better but I'll be surprised if she lasts the season, though I hope she proves me wrong!

I don't get all this recent clamour over females racing in speedway because the sport along with its cousins grasstrack and longtrack were made multi sex sports way back in 1988. Back then a handful of girls briefly rode for junior teams and Simon Cross' sister Julie Cross rode at Telford before many years of no girls until Jessica Lamb rode a few meetings in the 3rd Division in the early 00's.

Edited by 25yearfan

8 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I just don't think promoters work that way. Regardless of how successful or not Celina turns out to be, if some team needs a rider, in the ever decreasing market, and the best bet available is a female, then they will turn to her

A young female finished 2nd in the junior event at Güstrow the other day. Who knows how her career turns out ?

100% which goes back to what I said in my earlier post, speedway racing has been open to both males and females since 1988 so quite simply if a girl is the best option then she will get the ride!

Unfortunately I feel Celina Liebmanns inclusion in the Comets team is a PC stunt rather than her being the best option! 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, JamesHarris said:

I assume you are a smart person so what do you think? One can look at this two ways. 1 - the rose tinted way of how wonderful and progressive this is. Equality for women in Speedway. Or 2 The realistic way - This is a PR masterpiece. Lets jump on the equality and diversity bandwagon. The media will be all over it and it may get us a few more sponsors in the meantime. I'll let you decide.

iits prob both .  not has Celina opened the eyes up on female riders , she has been welcomed with open arms into uk speedway .

lets look at it another way . mr Godfrey invited the new 2024 team and done the fixture list so Workington were the first team to open their season knowing that Celina  would attract a few extra on Scunthorpes opening gate  .thats smart from him, but it didnt go ahead .

more promoters will give Celina space and push she is a lady of talent and will put bums on seats , as they say . Berwick done this when  they turned out to be her  first team meeting in the uk ..

IF Coventry had done something like the , you would be shouying it out . Celina WILL improve and fans will  take notice where ever she goes . good luck to her  in 2024 .

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

Was there a decent crowd ? 

Very decent .IMO. Would have to ask a regular though

8 hours ago, ljriley90 said:

Yes granted, good ti hear she was on the pace too. Hopefully she gets dialled in at home and improves away. Thanks for the update.

Out kf interest how did batch look when in second, was he going gung-ho for first or had he surrendered 1st in course of the race?

Hes an enogma for sure. Why pit yourself in a situation as potentially dangerous as speedway and not go all out when your pay is determined on your points return (unless he has a cushy retainer)

There is no doubt that Batch was a very talented rider at one time.But In the last few years he is just going through the motions for some easy money 7-8 points is not really a problem for him in this league. It’s not a pretty sight pulling up in last place have just paid £20 admission for some fans.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

After seeing Troy ride for us in the openings 2 meetings I can only judge him from what I’ve seen while in the Comets colours and in my opinion he’s not given up he’s given it a go and so far I’m happy with him.

8+2 away 

7 at home 

I’ve seen a lot of worse scores so far from a lot  “better” riders ….. so keep an eye on them in fact get them sacked!!!

Keep it up Troy and welcome to Workington!

Edited by paul84
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, paul84 said:

After seeing Troy ride for us in the openings 2 meetings I can only judge him from what I’ve seen while in the Comets colours and in my opinion he’s not given up he’s given it a go and so far I’m happy with him.

8+2 away 

7 at home 

I’ve seen a lot of worse scores so far from a lot  “better” riders ….. so keen an eye on them in fact get them sacked!!!

Keep it up Troy and welcome to Workington!

I would agree with them scores. If he went and scored a maximum, I'm sure the keyboard warriors would still be on here stating that it won't last etc. :angry: Dammed if you do and dammed if you don't :blush:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Neila said:

Neila, he's not worth a response, we live in 2024 not 1824. Jealousy and negativity are soul destroying afflictions