British Speedway Forum
topaz325

Workington v Berwick Border Trophy 31/03/24 3pm

2 hours ago, j2ohh said:

iits prob both .  not has Celina opened the eyes up on female riders , she has been welcomed with open arms into uk speedway .

lets look at it another way . mr Godfrey invited the new 2024 team and done the fixture list so Workington were the first team to open their season knowing that Celina  would attract a few extra on Scunthorpes opening gate  .thats smart from him, but it didnt go ahead .

more promoters will give Celina space and push she is a lady of talent and will put bums on seats , as they say . Berwick done this when  they turned out to be her  first team meeting in the uk ..

IF Coventry had done something like the , you would be shouying it out . Celina WILL improve and fans will  take notice where ever she goes . good luck to her  in 2024 .

I hope she does prove me wrong. I really do. However I see through this as the publicity stunt that it is and if Celina doesn't cut the mustard she'll be cast aside once the novelty of putting bums on seats and the media attention dies away. 

Some of you may know I ran a Scandinavian Touring team in the 2010's. There was a really good female rider called Nanna Jorgensen I wanted to bring over and I will put my hand up and say I thought it would bring us good publicity as well as giving Nanna a platform. However Nanna was very honest and said she wasn't good enough to race in the UK and I believe she was a better rider than Celina. I also gave outings to Rachel Hellowell when I ran the MDL. The difference now is Celina happens to be in the right place when companies want to be seen as ultra inclusive but I feel she is also being used.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JamesHarris said:

I assume you are a smart person so what do you think? One can look at this two ways. 1 - the rose tinted way of how wonderful and progressive this is. Equality for women in Speedway. Or 2 The realistic way - This is a PR masterpiece. Lets jump on the equality and diversity bandwagon. The media will be all over it and it may get us a few more sponsors in the meantime. I'll let you decide.

Do you really think Worky signed Celina based on either of these ? .  More like an expectation that she would be a competitive Championship standard reserve in 2024 . She is two meetings in one of which was very challenging. Anyone who watched a battling performance against Rory Schlein and the beating of Bastian Borke in the same race will have seen that Celina has potential. She is still very much getting to grips with UK racing and bike setup. Comets will give her a chance and if she fails to realise the promise they see in her then they will no doubt do what they feel is in the best interest of the club and its supporters. PR Stunt Nah, gimmickry is not in the Worky promotion make up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, paul84 said:

After seeing Troy ride for us in the openings 2 meetings I can only judge him from what I’ve seen while in the Comets colours and in my opinion he’s not given up he’s given it a go and so far I’m happy with him.

8+2 away 

7 at home 

I’ve seen a lot of worse scores so far from a lot  “better” riders ….. so keen an eye on them in fact get them sacked!!!

Keep it up Troy and welcome to Workington!

hopefully he gets his racers head on and trys when behind too 

needs hunger instead of just picking up easy points and not trying hard when behind 

No such thing as easy points, love him or hate him he outscored the Berwick No 1 and No 5 on their own track.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stemoc said:

No such thing as easy points, love him or hate him he outscored the Berwick No 1 and No 5 on their own track.

What happened on Sunday then

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

What happened on Sunday then

Sunday was the 1st time competitive racing at this level was ran at GT tyres northside arena,  so all riders started at a level playing field,  some of the berwick riders have been practicing at the track several times in the last couple of years . All  worky riders will get better with more competitive track time 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

No one can convince me that Celina is getting opportunities based solely on her ability. When she got a wild card for the SGP2 there were many riders who scored more but were overlooked, the Peter Craven memorial has really been for Prem heat leaders / second strings and Aces reserves, so Celina stuck out like a sore thumb there. I can't blame these promotions for trying to get extra publicity / increased attendances & I'm not saying she can't ride at all, but she clearly benefits from being a female.

Now I'm sure Workington are hoping she proves a good signing & will score points at reserve, but they must also have considered the publicity she'd bring in too. I'm sure other Champ teams will be pleased she's here, I've already seen comments from people who attended "just to see Celina". 

I honestly find it insulting to female riders if she gets treated as a "novelty" rather than for her ability. 

Sadly this is nothing new, I'm sure Kai Huckenbeck wouldn't have got a wild card if he was Polish, and Kolodziej may have got a pick ahead of Kubera if there ages were swapped. I don't like it when riders are picked for anything other than ability, wether that's age, nationality or gender.

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 4

Regarding Celina, two things can be true, she can/is absolutely deserving of an opportunity to ride in the Championship because of her exploits on the continent and it can also be true that Workington have a savvy promotion and knew it would be good for promoting the club to get in business with Celina.

She deserves every opportunity to perform at this level just like every other 4.00 foreign rider who is new to Britain, if she achieves close to a 4 point average this season then it is a highly successful one. She was certainly on the pace at Northside, away from home will be difficult but again it is for most newbies to Britain.

The difference between Celina and most other 4 point newbies to the league is that her results will be much more heavily publicised and scrutinised.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Hamster00 said:

Regarding Celina, two things can be true, she can/is absolutely deserving of an opportunity to ride in the Championship because of her exploits on the continent and it can also be true that Workington have a savvy promotion and knew it would be good for promoting the club to get in business with Celina.

She deserves every opportunity to perform at this level just like every other 4.00 foreign rider who is new to Britain, if she achieves close to a 4 point average this season then it is a highly successful one. She was certainly on the pace at Northside, away from home will be difficult but again it is for most newbies to Britain.

The difference between Celina and most other 4 point newbies to the league is that her results will be much more heavily publicised and scrutinised.

That is certainly true.

Unless it was an Aussie called "the next darcy ward"

Let's remember, we had Dayle Wood riding in this league last year. We've seen worse than her.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Hamster00 said:

I don’t want to sound like I’m running her down, but what exploits in the continent?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, paul84 said:

After seeing Troy ride for us in the openings 2 meetings I can only judge him from what I’ve seen while in the Comets colours and in my opinion he’s not given up he’s given it a go and so far I’m happy with him.

8+2 away 

7 at home 

I’ve seen a lot of worse scores so far from a lot  “better” riders ….. so keep an eye on them in fact get them sacked!!!

Keep it up Troy and welcome to Workington!

Despite the points scored, there’s absolutely no excuse for giving up at the back when not in a scoring position. We don’t pay good money to see this kind of thing in speedway and he, more than most, has a history of this sort of couldn’t care less attitude. 

• Like 1

For Celina to give herself the best chance of scoring points she needs the best machinery possible, optimal set up and consistently good starts otherwise I believe she will find it very tough. 

17 minutes ago, SteelShoe said:

For Celina to give herself the best chance of scoring points she needs the best machinery possible, optimal set up and consistently good starts otherwise I believe she will find it very tough. 

Is that not true of most riders?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ragdoll64 said:

Despite the points scored, there’s absolutely no excuse for giving up at the back when not in a scoring position. We don’t pay good money to see this kind of thing in speedway and he, more than most, has a history of this sort of couldn’t care less attitude. 

I only care when he wears blue and white and so far for me not done that and has had a positive start.

• Like 1